Shoutbox

access odbc sql and something like that - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: access odbc sql and something like that (/showthread.php?tid=86482)

access odbc sql and something like that by Jarrod on 10-08-2008 at 01:16 PM

we right i volunteer at an organisation where we use an sql database to keep track of contact details and records. the person who wrote the php interface to the database was rather lazy and didn't include features like sort by surname, so i was wondering if i would be able to use access or something similar to log in to the database and create a new front end interface, or even just sort records and stuff, is it do-able or do i need odbc or something installed on the sql server?
cheers

RE: access odbc sql and something like that by andrewdodd13 on 10-08-2008 at 02:00 PM

As far as I'm aware, it's not possible to open anything other than Access Databases with Access, though I could be wrong - I detest it.

Also, sorting usually takes place on-the-fly, ie, adding an ORDER BY clause into the SQL statement.

If you're considering completely re-writing the front end and dumping the PHP interface... maybe consider using Visual Basic .NET. PHP usually copes better with MySQL rather than MSSQL.

RE: access odbc sql and something like that by Jarrod on 10-08-2008 at 02:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
If you're considering completely re-writing the front end and dumping the PHP interface... maybe consider using Visual Basic .NET. PHP usually copes better with MySQL rather than MSSQL
tbh i don't know weather or it's mysql or smsql
the server with the php interface does not facilitate sorting currently, but would i need acces to the php source config.php or something with the database name and passwords if i was using something like vb.net,
also it's not my server so should i need to upload anything it won't happen
[Image: attachment.php?pid=931204]