Shoutbox

User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? (/showthread.php?tid=86510)

User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by namooth on 10-09-2008 at 04:32 PM

Is there a way to see the "user is writing a msg" in the taskbar?

Thanks

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by namooth on 10-10-2008 at 09:32 AM

no one knows or no one understood me? :|

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by RaPLeX on 10-10-2008 at 11:49 AM

I thnk there is no way atm.But its would be good idea,

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by namooth on 10-10-2008 at 12:10 PM

defenetly.
Just saw it in Digsby and it's really cool.

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by Cidinho on 10-13-2008 at 04:19 PM

Sounds like a great idea, actually... but no, it's not possible as far as I know.

Guess it could be done with a script, though...

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by bazzach on 10-17-2008 at 01:59 AM

I like the sound of this (:

Hopefully live plus will figure something out

or a script writer xD

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by mynetx on 10-17-2008 at 11:49 AM

Just imagine a window with tabbed chats. What would its taskbar icon show when just 1 of the chat window is in 'writing' status?

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by Shiny Rabbit on 10-17-2008 at 06:04 PM

it could change the taskbar icon to a messenger buddy with a pen

RE: RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by djdannyp on 10-17-2008 at 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Shiny Rabbit
it could change the taskbar icon to a messenger buddy with a pen

This would not let you know which user is typing though, which would make it only semi-complete.

To be honest it's a bit of a redundant feature.  you get alerted when they send a message, that's enough really
RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by namooth on 10-17-2008 at 06:17 PM

what's redundant about it? The feature is there in the original WLM so i'm guessing most people like to know if the people they talk to are writing a msg. MsgPlus is about making life easier from what i understand and the feature above does just that.
it can show "mike, Dana is writing a msg.."

RE: RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by djdannyp on 10-17-2008 at 06:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by namooth
what's redundant about it? The feature is there in the original WLM so i'm guessing most people like to know if the people they talk to are writing a msg. MsgPlus is about making life easier from what i understand and the feature above does just that.
it can show "mike, Dana is writing a msg.."

it's redundant in that it serves no real purpose.  letting you know that a user is typing is very misleading....it's not reliable for starters (i've started typing many times in the wrong box, or started typing a question and realised i knew the answer)

if you're really picky enough to want to see the notifications then just keep your chat window maximised....you could only see it for one contact at a time anyway (using tabs)

it's not a useful feature that adds functionality to messenger and therefore i'm pretty sure it won't be added to plus
RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by -dt- on 10-18-2008 at 01:56 AM

heh, its very possible, I made a script to do this a while ago (though its not release quality :P), I find it quite handy =p

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by namooth on 10-18-2008 at 09:52 AM

Sweet!
any chance you can let us try it?

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by kabso 5 on 10-18-2008 at 11:41 AM

i think it will make the PC So Slow

but its a good idea after all

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by Spunky on 10-19-2008 at 01:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kabso 5

How will it? It's using the very same APIs that set the Taskbar captions anyway... You don't get lag when you download in IE and it updates the percentage in the taskbar do you?
RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by Oblivion Junkie on 10-19-2008 at 01:07 AM

I don't quite understand why this would be wanted? it's a pretty dodgy thing anyway, as has been said above, and when your talking to multiple people at the same time usig tabs... it would get quite confusing.

RE: RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by kabso 5 on 10-19-2008 at 05:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:

How will it? It's using the very same APIs that set the Taskbar captions anyway... You don't get lag when you download in IE and it updates the percentage in the taskbar do you?

in the taskbar there is an icon of the messenger for every convo right ?

i remember in stuff plug

that icon is changed to Busy or Away or Online icon 

if the one you are talking to is away  in the task manger  the icon of the convo will be away

and it makes the pc so slow

some time it wont change the status in the task manger only if we closed the convo and re open it  8-|

i guess for every time the contact you are talking with,, talk so much :p it will be a disaster

for every single message it will showed in the task manger for every contact is takling to me,, OMG :|

because i talk to over 8 Persons :p

thats why i think the Pc will go so slow, you know what i mean ?

:D
RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by markee on 10-19-2008 at 08:29 AM

This actually would be quite helpful, and Dane's suggestion of separation through a semi colon is quite good for if you just hover over the button in the task bar it will show them all in a tool tip.  The only suggestion i would have for use with tabbed chats is to also include a number of people writing at the beginning so that you can easily see that there is more than 1.

-dt- would you be able to share some of your code so that we don't have to start from scratch with making this (yes, I have become almost as lazy as WDZ :tongue:)

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by Spunky on 10-19-2008 at 11:17 AM

quote:

If I think it's slow, I'll give you £100. That's how confident I am that it'll work fine... ^o)
RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by Cidinho on 10-19-2008 at 01:12 PM

quote:
in the taskbar there is an icon of the messenger for every convo right ?

i remember in stuff plug

that icon is changed to Busy or Away or Online icon 

if the one you are talking to is away  in the task manger  the icon of the convo will be away

and it makes the pc so slow

some time it wont change the status in the task manger only if we closed the convo and re open it  8-|

i guess for every time the contact you are talking with,, talk so much :p it will be a disaster

for every single message it will showed in the task manger for every contact is takling to me,, OMG :|

because i talk to over 8 Persons :p

:D
Never went slow and I used this same feature. Your PC was slow because you had 8 conversations, not because of damn icon-changing. And it's like the other guy said, your PC doesn't slow down when you are downloading with IE even though it changes the taskbar title everytime to update the percentage.
quote:
Originally posted by - dt-
heh, its very possible, I made a script to do this a while ago (though its not release quality (Smilie)), I find it quite handy =p
Post it unofficially here :P
RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by kabso 5 on 10-19-2008 at 09:53 PM

i think it will work ok for someone using a good ram :p

not for someone using 512 or 256 gb..

not every body is using 1gb

and not every body only just opening the msn messenger

i always open messenger + IE + Fire fox

before i can open photoshop also  but now i cant

because its to have for the ram to have these app opend

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by Spunky on 10-19-2008 at 09:59 PM

quote:

I have 512MB RAM, running VISTA, photoshop, Chrome, WLM, uTorrent and Limewire on a daily basis and never had a problem... If your computer is that slow I really suggest taking a look to make sure it's working OK and that you're free from virii and ad-ware

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by namooth on 06-15-2009 at 10:57 AM

-dt- , any chance you let us try that script?

RE: RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by kabso 5 on 06-15-2009 at 05:35 PM

quote:
quote:

I have 512MB RAM, running VISTA, photoshop, Chrome, WLM, uTorrent and Limewire on a daily basis and never had a problem... If your computer is that slow I really suggest taking a look to make sure it's working OK and that you're free from virii and ad-ware

my cousin have a 2.3 Core2Due 4gb ram 512 Graphic Card  and still the messenger is so slow and sometime when he scroll in his contact menu the messenger gets not responding

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by Spunky on 06-16-2009 at 08:06 PM

quote:
quote:

If those are the PC specs and it WLM slows it down, they either have a virus, spyware or they were ripped-off when they bought it.
RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by kabso 5 on 06-17-2009 at 12:44 AM

maybe because we use the arabic language? do you think that's the problem

i am using KIS 8 i have no virus and no spy ware  2.5gb ram 1.6 Core2due sometime the messenger get freezing when i am chatting

or i cant see what i type only if i wait for 30 sec or something like that

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by Spunky on 06-17-2009 at 01:11 AM

I have 1GB RAM and a 2.4Ghz AMD Dual Core processor. I know WLM can be RAM intensive at times, processor speed should have nothing to do with it though.

Language should also have nothing to do with it. Just sounds like a bad installation or a network problem.

I'll post back soon with a script to get this working (although the method I'll have to use is not as reliable as one that I've heard other people planning to use in the future)

RE: User is writing a msg in Taskbar, possible? by kabso 5 on 06-17-2009 at 01:18 AM

thats good

umm i dont know really whats the problem but i have 2.5gb..

the messenger only takes like 80mb or something like that..

when we chat a lot

i chat for 4hours.. when i close the convo the messenger speed increased