Shoutbox

Portal: Prelude - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Portal: Prelude (/showthread.php?tid=86512)

Portal: Prelude by Matti on 10-09-2008 at 05:21 PM

[Image: logo-portal-prelude.png]

Portal: Prelude is an unofficial prequel to Valve's Portal. In contrary to the many map packs and community maps we've seen since the release of this game, this is actually a full-blown modification of the game. Portal: Prelude contains a whole new story with nineteen new levels, new sounds and new portal techniques which makes this mod truly stand out. To be honest, this is a whole new game, and it's completely free.
quote:
Portal: Prelude, as its name states it, is an unofficial prequel to the game Portal. Its story revolves around the pre-GlaDOS epoch, even before she was plugged in. At this time, test subjects were monitored by real Aperture Science employees whose work was tedious, lengthy and repetitive. This is why they decided to build a great artificial intelligence that could both replace them in these difficult tasks, but also take responsibility for many other tasks within the complex and compete with Black Mesa's superiority. All employees of the Aperture Science complex are now eagerly awaiting GlaDOS. Maybe even a little too eagerly, as the upcoming events will tell...
Source: Portal: Prelude - About
The mod was announced as a complete surprise, one day the website just popped up and the single blog post in it pointed to the official trailer on Vimeo (HD download is here). The news spread quickly and the more people got to know, the more they got excited. Everything about this is quality, all levels have been constructed with all gaming aspects (complexity, hints, originality) in mind and tested thoroughly.

As much as the announcement was a surprise, so was its release. Originally planned and announced to be released at the first birthday of the Orange Box, they came with another surprise yesterday and told the world that it will already be available one day before the official release on FilePlanet. Unfortunately, this means long waiting times and not too great download speeds when you're a free user (like almost everyone, no?) but it's definitely worth the time when you have followed their website for the last two weeks. On the other side, it'll be available on a dozen of other official mirrors at October 9th at midnight GMT+01 (that's the same as UTC or the time in England with DST taken in account).

I already downloaded it! Can't wait to get it running, have some homework to do first. :( Actually, I was surprised that no-one made a topic about this before... Where are the gamers here? :P

Official website and weblog: http://www.portalprelude.com/
Reviews:
RE: Portal: Prelude by Felu on 10-09-2008 at 05:24 PM

You must have a FilePlanet Account to download this file :(.

RE: Portal: Prelude by aNILEator on 10-09-2008 at 05:25 PM

When the first thing on their website says

quote:
Wow, what a train wreck that piece of shit is. Did you test any of this? On anyone besides yourselves? Portal took the time to have something called gameplay. Something your game seriously lacks. You can't just throw together some interesting looking rooms and pretend that's a mod. Portal teaches the player techniques and then shows the player how to combine them and use them to create new techniques. You didn't have to teach the player the same ones, but "crouch in mid air?" Go fuck yourself. Have you ever played a video game before? Gameplay is about a learning process. Here's an idea, next time you want to make a shitty mod go make another overly stylized webpage instead. Seems like you guys put more time into that than the game. Fuck you! - Griff

ain't great
RE: Portal: Prelude by Matti on 10-09-2008 at 05:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
When the first thing on their website says
ain't great
Unfortunately, the posts are in reversed chronological order, means: latest post first. Apparently the developers had to post this clearly sick comment on their blog... well, yeah, that's quite dumb if you see it that way. 8-) Gotta comment on that saying that they should make more positive posts, or stickify the best news at the top. :P

Anyway, I highly recommend any Portal fan to check out the website, there are a lot of great things to see and you'll certainly be shocked by how great it is. I mean, heck, it's a completely new Portal! :D
RE: Portal: Prelude by Mnjul on 10-09-2008 at 05:48 PM

Well, I will definitely try it...I love Portal.

But what I love Portal is largely because its storyline. Does Portal Prelude ---- ok. I won't ask that question so please don't spoil me. I'll just download. :p

RE: Portal: Prelude by Matti on 10-09-2008 at 05:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mnjul
Does Portal Prelude ---- ok. I won't ask that question so please don't spoil me.
Portal: Prelude is an unofficial prequel. The team made up a new storyline to fit in the existing one, but it probably won't be the same as Valve's announced official Portal prequel. That should explain it without spoiling you. :P
Oh -- in case you were wondering, it's made by three Frenchies in only eight months in their free time! :D
RE: Portal: Prelude by Th3rmal on 10-09-2008 at 08:11 PM

* Th3rmal will wait for other mirrors.

Looks like a promising game, will definately try it out, i loved the original; so if its anything like that, it should be worth it.

RE: Portal: Prelude by prashker on 10-09-2008 at 08:15 PM

I just deleted it along with Portal because the Unleashed release of Portal sucks ass with Steam and this apparently needs steam.

RE: Portal: Prelude by Th3rmal on 10-09-2008 at 08:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
this apparently needs steam.
i just read that as well, looks like i wont be getting the game after all :(

Although there should be a workaround for people without steam shouldnt there?
RE: Portal: Prelude by prashker on 10-10-2008 at 08:48 PM

For those with the Portal-Unleashed release.

Get /portal prelude from Steams /steamapps/steammods directory or whatever it is...rename it "portalprelude" and place that directory in the same directory as hl2.exe

Go into /portalprelude and open gameinfo.txt

Change

{
            Game                |gameinfo_path|.
            Game                portal
            Game                hl2
        }
    }
}

to

{
            Game                |gameinfo_path|.
            Game                portalprelude
            Game                portal
            Game                hl2
        }
    }
}

Save the file.

Create a shortcut to hl2.exe...adding the -steam -game portalprelude to the end.

(found out by ShawnZ :))

RE: Portal: Prelude by lopardo on 10-11-2008 at 12:28 AM

Or, if you don't want to install Steam, use 7-Zip to extract the "portal prelude" folder from the installer.

Rename it so there's no space to something like "portalprelude" (otherwise you should add quotes around the path in the next step).

Then create a new shortcut to hl2.exe like SonicSam said and add -steam -game <path_to_prelude_folder> to the end.

RE: Portal: Prelude by aNILEator on 10-11-2008 at 07:28 AM

WEll I grabbed it but not bothered playing yet

RE: Portal: Prelude by Matti on 10-11-2008 at 07:59 AM

Blah, my thread got hijacked by SonicSam's hacking techniques. Did I fail now? :P

Anyway, started it up yesterday, difficulty level is quite a lot higher than the original Portal so beware: you might have problems with level 02 already! Level 05 was also quite complex: the solution wasn't easy to think of and even if you knew how you'd do it, you still had to execute it. But it was awesome when I eventually managed to complete it! :D

RE: Portal: Prelude by Kenji on 10-11-2008 at 08:50 AM

I cant get it to install, I click on the exe and it just makes explorer freeze >_>

RE: Portal: Prelude by aNILEator on 10-12-2008 at 08:37 AM

Well mine installed but won't play or get past some stupid pre video with a domokun in it

RE: Portal: Prelude by Mike on 10-12-2008 at 09:00 AM

I got up to level 3 but then got stuck and noclipped through the whole game just to see the story :P
I think I missed a part of the story though since there was a reference of something I supposedly did in the previous room :(

RE: Portal: Prelude by Matti on 10-12-2008 at 09:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
I cant get it to install, I click on the exe and it just makes explorer freeze >_>
You're on Vista I assume? Well, the UAC has the terrible habbit of trying to load the whole thing into the memory before showing the "Do you want to start this in elevated mode?" popup and eats a lot of CPU and memory during that. :P It took about an hour and a half before I got the popup and could continue. :)

But there is a way to fix it! :D
  1. Start an elevated command prompt by going to Start > type "cmd" and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
  2. When UAC complains, accept it. :P
  3. Copy the full path to your Portal: Prelude setup file, e.g. "C:\Downloads\portal-prelude-1.0.0.exe"
  4. Paste it in the command prompt by right-clicking and choosing Paste.
  5. Press Enter to execute the command and thus firing the setup.
The fact why this works is because it launches the setup with the same rights as you launched the command prompt, and it takes far less time to get the UAC pop-up for the command prompt. :)

Oh by the way, I finished it and I loved it, especially the final part. (H)
RE: Portal: Prelude by Th3rmal on 10-12-2008 at 09:37 AM

k stuck on lvl 1 lol. i just got the gun, but not really sure how to get out. although i did notice a white patch on the roof....

RE: Portal: Prelude by Jimbo on 10-12-2008 at 10:29 AM

Yeah i gotta say it is so much harder that the original portal. Im stuck on lvl 14 at the moment

RE: Portal: Prelude by Tardz on 10-12-2008 at 10:46 AM

Finished it, it was hard, but awesome.
I also finished lvl5 and 14 from the advanced chambers :)
edit: i just also finished level 12 from advanced chambers :P

RE: Portal: Prelude by aNILEator on 10-12-2008 at 04:17 PM

Alright was finally able to play it, gotten to level 17 (bit of help from a walkthrough needed not much {stuff like level 9 i had my portal positions wrong}) and can't find the exit :P

I've got the power orb into the doodah oojamaflip for it all sentries taken out afaik and just a bit stumped :P

Figured out 17, 18 OMG what an easy piece of piss just walk right to the end button and zap a portal near the lift, don't even need to bother about the cube :P

Stumped on 19, can't get anywhere, just smack into walls  :(

RE: Portal: Prelude by Matti on 10-12-2008 at 04:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
k stuck on lvl 1 lol. i just got the gun, but not really sure how to get out. although i did notice a white patch on the roof....
Uh? Normally you should just wait for the blue portal to open, then you can get out and do what you have to do (seriously, you'll find out soon enough).
quote:
Figured out 17, 18 OMG what an easy piece of piss just walk right to the end button and zap a portal near the lift, don't even need to bother about the cube :P

Stumped on 19, can't get anywhere, just smack into walls  :(
Ahaha, no wonder you're stumped on 19, the fact that you passed 18 without checking what's actually in the room will make you get stuck in 19 whatsoever.

To give you a hint: you'll have to be reunited with an old friend to get through 19, otherwise no cake for you. And when you're actually in 19: the room hasn't been started up, in fact, you'll have to do it manually. There's a way to get back to 18, go check out the stairs. ;)

If you still don't get it... YouTube is a great source. :)
RE: Portal: Prelude by TeRaViK86 on 10-12-2008 at 05:47 PM

Hey, a aNILEator! How you managed to solve problem with stupid pre video and domokun on it?! I cannot. Please, would you help me?

RE: Portal: Prelude by Mike on 10-12-2008 at 07:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by TeRaViK86
Hey, a aNILEator! How you managed to solve problem with stupid pre video and domokun on it?! I cannot. Please, would you help me?
Right click Portal in Steam -> Properties -> Set launch options -> -novid -> OK
RE: Portal: Prelude by prashker on 10-12-2008 at 07:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Originally posted by TeRaViK86
Right click Portal in Steam -> Properties -> Set launch options -> -novid -> OK
And ofcourse if you have not Steam, just add in -novid into the shortcut :p

*  -autoconfig - Restores video and performance settings to default for the current hardware detected. Ignores settings inside any .cfg files until this parameter is removed.
    * -dev - Enables developer mode. Also disables the automatic loading of menu background maps and stops the quit dialog from appearing on exit.
    * -condebug - Logs all console output into the console.log text file.
    * -console - Starts the game with the developer console enabled.
    * -toconsole - Starts the engine directly in the console, unless a map is specified with +map.
    * -dxlevel <level> - Forces a specific DirectX version when launching the engine. This is useful if your graphics card is DirectX 9 capable, but a lot faster using only DirectX 8 (e.g. NVidia GeForce FX 5200). Multiply the desired DirectX version to use with ten. E.g. for DirectX 8.0 you would use -dxlevel 80.
    * -32bit - Forces the engine to start in 32-bit mode. Only useful on 64-bit Operating Systems.
    * -fullscreen - Forces the engine to start in fullscreen mode.
    * -window or -sw - Forces the engine to start in windowed mode.
    * -w <width> - Forces the engine to start with resolution set to <width>.
    * -h <height> - Forces the engine to start with resolution set to <height>.
    * -refresh <rate> - Force a specific refresh rate.
    * -heapsize <kilobytes> - Specifies the heapsize (in kilobyte) the game will use.
    * -nocrashdialog - Suppresses some 'memory could not be read' unhandled errors.
    * -novid - When loading a game with this parameter, the intro Valve video will not play.
    * -noborder - When used with the game set to windowed mode, will make the game fullscreen, making Alt+Tab faster.
RE: Portal: Prelude by ipab on 10-13-2008 at 11:43 PM

thanks sam for the tip :).

btw nile, my girlfriend was sitting next to me and she looked at your screen name and was like ":O, ANAL EATER :S?" :refuck:.

RE: Portal: Prelude by Discrate on 10-14-2008 at 12:41 AM

Portal prelude has made me an emo. I couldn't pass the first mission with those turrent guns, as soon as i would step out i'd be dead. I would have no time to do anything so yeh end of my life for me :P

RE: Portal: Prelude by aNILEator on 10-14-2008 at 02:49 PM

yay completed. now to uninstall :P

RE: RE: Portal: Prelude by Discrate on 10-14-2008 at 03:06 PM

quote:
yay completed. now to uninstall :P

lol, yeh i saw you playing :P
RE: Portal: Prelude by beestingz on 10-16-2008 at 11:05 AM

Lopardo,

I tried your shortcut workaround, got Prelude to load, but it won't let me start a new game.  Any ideas what I did wrong?  BTW, what do the -steam -game switches do?  Thanx, Beestingz

RE: Portal: Prelude by zogo on 10-19-2008 at 05:34 PM

i completede it in at 13 hours after it was released... but it didnt take it steady like the original portal... it just jumped in :|

RE: Portal: Prelude by kurir on 03-16-2010 at 09:03 AM

I downloaded this from an official link, and I tried to install it, and it installed, but it does not seem to have an .exe file. Also, it is not in Steam as one of me games. Any ideas?

RE: Portal: Prelude by vows on 03-16-2010 at 11:25 AM

Wait for portal 2 :P

RE: Portal: Prelude by Chancer on 03-16-2010 at 11:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kurir
I downloaded this from an official link, and I tried to install it, and it installed, but it does not seem to have an .exe file. Also, it is not in Steam as one of me games. Any ideas?
Do you own Portal? Did you restart Steam?