Shoutbox

Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen (/showthread.php?tid=86577)

Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Nathan on 10-11-2008 at 06:31 PM

Well,
I googl'd and system restore doesn't work, and safe mode wont boot up - does the same thing as normal mode.
Also Ctrl+Alt+Del or any key combos wont work. I don't have a vista cd or anything, so what do I do?

Just to confirm, I type in my password, press enter, it shows "Welcome" and then its blakc screen just with cursor - and i've left it for a while and nothing :(

HELP?!

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Mnjul on 10-11-2008 at 06:56 PM

Is it doing the same if you select Safe Mode with Command Prompt?

If you can start the command prompt you might be able to chkdsk, sfc and do other possible investigation/reparation.

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Nathan on 10-11-2008 at 07:12 PM

Nope command prompt doesn't work either.

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Jarrod on 10-11-2008 at 11:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
system restore doesn't work,
how did u even try system restore if the screen goes black?
RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Nathan on 10-12-2008 at 12:37 AM

Used alienRespawn that it comes with. You have a few options and one of them is system restore.

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Hank on 10-12-2008 at 12:51 AM

you dont have a Vista CD an yet you installed Vista hoping it wouldnt have issues?...

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Jarrod on 10-12-2008 at 12:56 AM

so download one?
then do a repair

also most importantly did you still have uac enabled?
and did you do any security updates b4 it happened?

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by ChicaRacing on 10-12-2008 at 12:58 AM

I guess i have a few obvious questions: what are you using? a laptop or a pc? why don't you have any backup or restore disk? answer this and would be easier to help you :P

Come on guys, isn't impossible to have a pc or laptop with vista, xp or any other os without have a disk, if you go and buy a pavilion it comes with 2 partitions one called C and another called D or anything like that with the information that you need to create the "rescue" disks or "restore" disks... so, he may be on this situation, and is not the first one in this world who doesn't have the disks

Now concentrate in the situation, if your laptop or pc have anywere in the hd the backup, you can change the botting settings from the bios and then start the pc from the second partition and try to format or fix the problem, but i'm not sure if i explain my self as well, anyway you have an option there that you should look for ;)

Wish you luck solving your problem :P

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Nathan on 10-12-2008 at 02:49 AM

Okay i'm tipsy atm so cos ive justt got bakc from a prty and itd a laptop and icq i didnt install vissta it came twith it okay? and it just randmoly did it :(

it has s backup but i dnt wantt to restatore my computer cos i have all my programd and tuff.

if i remeaber ill edit tomorow

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Th3rmal on 10-12-2008 at 02:56 AM

quote:
Okay i'm tipsy atm so cos ive justt got bakc from a prty and itd a laptop and icq i didnt install vissta it came twith it okay? and it just randmoly did it :(

it has s backup but i dnt wantt to restatore my computer cos i have all my programd and tuff.

if i remeaber ill edit tomorow
Translation:
Its a laptop, and ICQ i didnt install vista, it came with it pre-installed (its a new laptop that he recently bought), and this problem has randomly arised.
Its has a backup but i dont want to restore my computer as i have programs and files which i need.

I know this doesnt help much, but do you have a backup of your files somewhere?
RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Jarrod on 10-12-2008 at 03:00 AM

so i'm assuming u didn't do any updates,
my 2 thoughts are
download a vista disc and do a repair
or
use a slipstream os

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by ChicaRacing on 10-12-2008 at 03:01 AM

Ok, looks like you had a nice time at that party xD

Now, don't worry we will find a way to help you tomorrow, i also have a laptop that came with 2 partitions so tonight i will try to bot it from the second and see what i get, any result i will post it so you give it a try ;)

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Hank on 10-12-2008 at 03:06 AM

quote:

it has s backup but i dont want to restore my computer cos i have all my program and stuff.

if i remember ill edit tomorrow
if the CD as you claim came with it,,where is the CD?. by rights an by law the buyer of a laptop/Desktop automatically receives the Vista CD/DvD the Computer comes with, .. i hope you did backups of your important stuff prior to this happening,
RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Th3rmal on 10-12-2008 at 03:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:

it has s backup but i dont want to restore my computer cos i have all my program and stuff.

if i remember ill edit tomorrow
if the CD as you claim came with it,,where is the CD?. by rights an by law the buyer of a laptop/Desktop automatically receives the Vista CD/DvD the Computer comes with, .. i hope you did backups of your important stuff prior to this happening,
I think he means he didnt get a CD/DVD with his laptop, it came installed with vista but no disc
RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Jarrod on 10-12-2008 at 03:12 AM

then download one use bartpe to back up all your programming stuff then do a repair

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Nathan on 10-12-2008 at 03:13 AM

i cnt acd3eds my cimputer at all it just wcnt get aything so i mght have to restoe everyhtng

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by ChicaRacing on 10-12-2008 at 03:14 AM

Hey, the resealler should have the cd/dvd but it doesn't mean he have it, cause actually where i'm from, mostly of the time we go and buy a new laptop and it cames with Vista installed (for example) but no cd/dvd included... so u have to create it (burn it) using the information in the second partition...

Besides...

There are a few programs that allow you to recover your information after you re-install your OS or format ... the most important thing now is that he get access to it :S

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Nathan on 10-12-2008 at 03:17 AM

i have a vista cd or somehting in muy alienware breifcsase but itd at home and imt at a mates house (werte hvaning headbutting competitiongs)

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Jarrod on 10-12-2008 at 03:18 AM

quote:
i cnt acd3eds my cimputer at all it just wcnt get aything so i mght have to restoe everyhtng
translate?
RE: RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by ChicaRacing on 10-12-2008 at 03:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
quote:
translate?

Translation:

I can't access my computer at all it just can't get anything so i might have to restore everything

xD!
RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Jarrod on 10-12-2008 at 03:35 AM

put in a bartpe disk and reboot gives you access:)

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Felu on 10-12-2008 at 03:40 AM

Ctrl+Shit+Esc -> New Process -> explorer.exe

I'm pretty much sure thats gonna work on the blank screen.

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by ChicaRacing on 10-12-2008 at 03:47 AM

Felu, he can't access the OS at all, cannot run a process ...

Jarrod, you keep talking about the bartpe disk, but are you sure he knows what it means? :P

Give him a hint xD, i hope none kill me for copy this from somewhere around on the net xD, but here i let you something about it so you have an idea:

Those were the good old days. The whopping 8 MB or so of storage I carried around doesn't amount to much now, and in any event booting an NTFS-based PC off of DOS on a floppy isn't all that useful (although there are read-only DOS drivers for NTFS available).

Nowadays, if you want to work on a modern Windows system without booting the operating system on it, you want to make yourself a BartPE disk, a free and indispensable support tool from Bart Lagerweij of Kootwijkerbroek in The Netherlands. The PE-Builder program takes as input the location of the Windows installation files and outputs a bootable environment based on it, optionally burning it to the CD.

BartPE has full networking support, including Internet support. What's really cool is that you can add other programs to the bootable CD. BartPE has a "plugin" system for this. Many plug-ins—basically those whose authors allow free copying—are included with the standard BartPE installation, and you just have to check a box to activate it on the disk. Many others, such as McAfee's command line antivirus scanner and the free Ad-Aware SE by Lavasoft, must be downloaded before running PE-Builder. I also added Mozilla to my BartPE disk. Read the BartPE page for links to many other plugins and tools for creating them.

BartPE is the reason I made last week's tip on how to create a set of installation files for Windows with all the service packs and patches slipstreamed in.

After specifying the location of the Windows install files in the main PE-Builder screen, you specify which plugins to install and activate on the disk, then build it and burn it. Certainly, there are many configurations that would cause problems, but on my system PE-Builder burned the CD with no problem. Worst case, you use other software to burn the ISO image.

After you boot the first question you are asked is whether to start network services. If you do, you are then presented with the Network Configurator dialog box where you can specify IP configuration information. BartPE has a Go button from which you can launch programs, command line sessions, read configuration information and more.

As Bart discusses on his page, you need to be careful with the the licensing for the disk . If you use the BartPE disk and a system where the same copy of Windows was installed at the same time you are probably violating your Windows license. In some cases you may only be allowed to use the disk on the same system for which the copy of Windows was sold. Whatever the specifics of your situation, it's your problem, not Bart's.

----------------------------------------------------

Hope it helps :P

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Jarrod on 10-12-2008 at 03:54 AM

just google it if u don't know wat it is
oh wait i'll do it for u
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
or use anything from this list if u don't know how to use pe builder
http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
or use this
http://isohunt.com/download/47616961/bartpe.torrent

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by ShawnZ on 10-12-2008 at 04:08 AM

why are you all telling him how to restore his computer instead of telling him how to fix the problem?

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Jarrod on 10-12-2008 at 04:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
why are you all telling him how to restore his computer instead of telling him how to fix the problem?
what do u suggest then, since safe mode doesn't work?
RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by ChicaRacing on 10-12-2008 at 04:16 AM

Guys what did i miss here? i feel i made a mistake when i ask if he knew what does a bartpe disk was... so i apologize for the inconvenients i created, really :( wasn't for bad...

I think ShawnZ have a point, thats why i was trying to find a way to bot the lap from the second partition so he can try to find the problem from there, at least save the things ... but ...

Also, MeEtc have another point, why don't we go and take a rest? and come back tomorrow then try to fix it? when we all have good mood :P

Don't fight please, really :$

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Jarrod on 10-12-2008 at 04:23 AM

that's why i suggested a vista dvd or live cd so we can fix it from there, but suit your selves 

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by ChicaRacing on 10-12-2008 at 04:34 AM

If it helps i can try to make an ISO from my own VHP DVD :$ but i have no idea how many links will i need to upload it xD also on internet i think you will found it with around 40 links xD (so you will finish it before xmas)

Well, i go sleep now ... hope you don't fight any longer and excuse me cause i never wanted to call anyone noob or anything like that, wasn't my intention, take care,

See you tomorrow guys.

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Nathan on 10-12-2008 at 11:33 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I decided the easiest and best (imo) option is to chuck vista and install xp (which I love more than vista anyway). So I have streamlined an xp disk and am installing now, its been on for 1min and its at 60% :)

yay for xp :)

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by ChicaRacing on 10-12-2008 at 11:39 PM

Well, i still love vista xD but at least you can use again your lap :P

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Nathan on 10-13-2008 at 01:23 AM

It's all up and running well :)

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by vaccination on 10-13-2008 at 08:59 AM

Quite frankly wtf. Alienware didn't give you a Vista dvd? =/

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Kenji on 10-13-2008 at 09:36 AM

We told you to stay away from alienshit..

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Quite frankly wtf. Alienware didn't give you a Vista dvd? =/
Most manufacturers don't give you a disc, just a partition on the HDD.

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Hank on 10-13-2008 at 10:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy

if thats correct, thats wrong IMO ..every Compuiter sold with Vista  the Customer should always receive the DvD/CD of that operating system .. it'd be like Redhat Selling a Computer with RHEL on a Computer to a Customer an not giving the Customer the DvD/CD so they could rescue the installation if it were to crash adruptly 
RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by vaccination on 10-13-2008 at 10:51 AM

quote:

Crazy, all the manufactured PCs I've had came with dvds, leaving it on a hdd is silly =p
RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Jarrod on 10-13-2008 at 11:06 AM

what happens when the hdd gets infected or the boot record goes u need a dvd/cd

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Th3rmal on 10-13-2008 at 11:24 AM

In Aus, most people that ive seen who have bought a laptop here have not gotten the dvd with it, personally i got a re-installation XP disk when i got my computer, but it seems some people dont

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Kenji on 10-13-2008 at 02:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:

Crazy, all the manufactured PCs I've had came with dvds, leaving it on a hdd is silly =p
When is the last time you bought one though? Most stopped supplying discs when Vista came out.
And ICQ, I agree. My thinkpad HDD died after a week of use, it was just lucky that I have a retail copy of Vista.
RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by vaccination on 10-13-2008 at 02:53 PM

quote:

When is the last time you bought one though? Most stopped supplying discs when Vista came out.

A while ago ;p

Oh well, I've got a disc of most things now
RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by ChicaRacing on 10-13-2008 at 08:16 PM

Kinda funny this thread changed a bit but about what you ask, it seems like it depends of the reseallers honesty xD cause i went to a very famous store here and they answer "we have no disks with the laps or pcs, you will need to make a restore disk with the info in your hd" xD! and everything comes now with vista o.O so... first thing to do when you turn on your pc or lap after you buy one is: create the disks :S

Note: thats why i preffer clons xD

RE: Vista Home Premium - Black after logon screen by Nathan on 10-13-2008 at 09:38 PM

No, I do have a vista disk in my alienware briefcase thingy at home. I am at school all week - and I'm not going home next week cos of another party so :S It was either wait for a few weeks with no laptop or install xp. Xp it was :P