Shoutbox

DreamWeaver savvy people -- we need to talk. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: DreamWeaver savvy people -- we need to talk. (/showthread.php?tid=86637)

DreamWeaver savvy people -- we need to talk. by Hybrid on 10-13-2008 at 06:19 PM

Hey, just working on my new website. I got a problem and need some help-

I'm using templates for my site, and will frequently need to update it. Problem here for me is that for some reason when I update my files it seems they only update on my PC, and not my website. Also, the template is not updating even when I replace the file in my FTP server.

Advice on what I'm doing wrong, or what I should do from the beginning (I'm willing to delete all the files in my FTP atm since I have no content on the site.)

Thanks a lot guys.

RE: DreamWeaver savvy people -- we need to talk. by MeEtc on 10-13-2008 at 06:28 PM

When you save a file after you edit it, obviously it will not automatically update on its own on your site. You need to upload the changed file via FTP (either in Dreamweaver itself or any other FTP client) Hopefully you have a site defined in Dreamweaver as a project, make sure that the FTP connection details are saved.

Its been a while since I've actually used Dreamweaver, but I believe there is a button on the file browser side panel that allows you to tell it to upload.

It might be a good idea to connect to the FTP server using another program too, to make sure Dreamweaver is uploading your files to the proper location on the server as well.

RE: DreamWeaver savvy people -- we need to talk. by Hybrid on 10-13-2008 at 06:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
When you save a file after you edit it, obviously it will not automatically update on its own on your site. You need to upload the changed file via FTP (either in Dreamweaver itself or any other FTP client) Hopefully you have a site defined in Dreamweaver as a project, make sure that the FTP connection details are saved.

Its been a while since I've actually used Dreamweaver, but I believe there is a button on the file browser side panel that allows you to tell it to upload.

It might be a good idea to connect to the FTP server using another program too, to make sure Dreamweaver is uploading your files to the proper location on the server as well.

Ah, but another problem I'm having is that the .html 's im uploading aren't using the templates. Everytime I try to update it(and update it on the FTP server) the pages are unchanged. Is there anyway that I can just update the template, and then all pages using that template on the website will be changed?
RE: DreamWeaver savvy people -- we need to talk. by MeEtc on 10-13-2008 at 06:39 PM

perhaps you have set your site to filter certain file types. I'm not sure if Dreamweaver does this or not. Again, check the properties for the site within Dreamweaver to make sure your template files are not being ignored