Shoutbox

OTR support in Messenger plus - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: OTR support in Messenger plus (/showthread.php?tid=86659)

OTR support in Messenger plus by X3_ on 10-14-2008 at 09:43 PM

Off the road http://www.cypherpunks.ca/otr/ encryption for messenger that supports various other messengers like Pidgin Miranda and some other one...

It would be great since Microsoft obviously will never implement it and unfortunatly the other messengers dont support Video Chat.

Plenty of people out there use OTR and it works with messenger protocol just cant install it directly into messenger it has to be installed into pidgin yet another half a dozen messenger for one single job...

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by prashker on 10-14-2008 at 09:59 PM

Alternatives are already made into scripts

http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/search/?q=encryption

SHA1, MD4, MD5, Base64, Hex, Binary and URL-encoding.

One of the 2 scripts will likely fit your case (crYpt)

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by Adeptus on 10-15-2008 at 12:15 AM

Also, the free Simp Lite or the paid for version (if you require its features) work very well with all versions of Messenger, with or without Plus!. 

Some might consider it less trustworthy than OTR because it is not open source, however.

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by X3_ on 10-15-2008 at 09:13 AM

yea well there is a reason why I asked for OTR specifically all those scrtipts are not compatible with OTR and Every one I chat with uses OTR not these other ones in fact no one else really uses msn.

Besides to the fact I cant think of a better one to support, its a shame its not even considered.

I use Msn cause I can Video chat but theres so many people out there with so many clients its hard to keep up, Pidgin is a great multi protocol messenger that supports plugings and OTR but no web cam, so round and round we go dozens of of messengers and all half baked none really complete and then theres guys like you that offer a great potential and astounding extras  but still its only a single protocol and the world has outgrown one thing.

So realistically its two or 3 messengers installed instead of one plus all the addons like yours and every thing else...

Is it just me thinking this is ridiculous?

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by X3_ on 10-22-2008 at 11:26 AM

Actually that way of thinking is pretty similar to Microsoft well we already do this why do that?

I thought Messenger Plus Live was about showing MS adn giving the WLM users the experience our way not theire way...

Now with we already have something whic is incompatible BTW as I mentioned does it mean that adding a new one is such a pain in the developers backside? Or is this a close minded users point of view?

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by robert_dll on 10-22-2008 at 10:08 PM

If you don't like how things work why don't you make your own plug-in? or even much better, your own messenger compatible with everything? maybe you could make something better than Microsoft, or Patchou, who was worked in this for many yearse :P

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by Quantum on 10-22-2008 at 10:17 PM

I think encryption should be built into plus and the default setting is on :P

RE: RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by X3_ on 10-22-2008 at 11:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by robert_dll
If you don't like how things work why don't you make your own plug-in? or even much better, your own messenger compatible with everything? maybe you could make something better than Microsoft, or Patchou, who was worked in this for many yearse :P

You know if I could code I would do a lot more than that for sure Im just suggesting yet something more powerfull and main stream yet I keep getting this anti implementation of OTR.... you dont work for Microsoft do you? only those guys are that blind to innovation...
RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by Spunky on 10-22-2008 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t

And just how would your contact's decode it without Plus!?
RE: RE: RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by robert_dll on 10-22-2008 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by X3_
You know if I could code I would do a lot more than that for sure
Then why don't yo learn to code? It's not that easy right?

quote:
Originally posted by X3_
Im just suggesting yet something more powerfull and main stream yet I keep getting this anti implementation of OTR....
I'm not anti-OTR, it would be great to have it, and have a lot of cool functions, but do you know why Plus! doesn't have them? Because a lot of time is needed to develop them and get something 100% stable, and afaik Patchou won't include third-party software (I may be wrong).

quote:
Originally posted by X3_
you dont work for Microsoft do you? only those guys are that blind to innovation...
Of course I don`t work for MS and I'm not against innovation, but you can't demand to have something when you don't even pay for it
RE: RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by Quantum on 10-22-2008 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:

It's only encrypted if the contact has plus ;) Obv.
RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by X3_ on 10-23-2008 at 12:39 AM

its not a demand its a suggestion like many other that have been suugested and taken on board OTR FYI is windows ready and works flawlessly it just really needs integrating into either the like of Pidin/miranda or even dare I be so bold to suggest it here.

I dont expect patchou to do anything in fact but he does and hes provided a great tool used by millions its a shame you above all else since your not against why not just wonder why not instead of picking at whatever I say.

Coding easy? OK if you are a coder do yu a deal Ill teach you CCNA, 3D Gfx Desig, Photoshop and on CCNA how ro configure routers ACL's Switches and whole gigantic networks and you will teach me coding...

Try to configure a Cisco 2800 and other routers from start to finish CLI and the turn another router into a super firewall and then come back to me...

Coding easy sure I hardly have the time to snease, Im part of open source projects like uVNC commercial projects like flashfxp I beta test hardware and sofwrae for Acronis, linksys, Dlink, Cisco and I have a real live...

Eh... maybe I should bother with comments like yours or even bothering trying to suggest something slighly useful jsut to avoid this sort of animosity. Jesus.

Im stressed enough without this crap...

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by netsplit on 10-23-2008 at 04:50 PM

Can messenger plus JavaScript access DLLs?

If Seems like you could make a JavaScript wrapper add on. Then you could get what you want.

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by Quantum on 10-23-2008 at 05:36 PM

yes they can

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by X3_ on 10-23-2008 at 11:37 PM

great news unfortnatly Im not a coder so thers that one gone...

If anyone would do this it would be a great addition to Live+

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by Quantum on 10-24-2008 at 01:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by X3_
great news unfortnatly Im not a coder so thers that one gone...

If anyone would do this it would be a great addition to Live+

Live+?

*Messenger Plus! Live?
RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by Spunky on 10-24-2008 at 06:38 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:

It's only encrypted if the contact has plus ;) Obv.

How would it do that? Ping everyone? Great! ^o) :p

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by Adeptus on 10-24-2008 at 07:01 AM

Actually, simp (a Messenger encryption addon I suggested earlier in this thread) has no trouble detecting whether the other user also has it and handling the key exchange, completely transparently.  There are no visible "pings" or any other indications, regardless whether you have it or not.

If you don't have it and I do, it has several ways to alert me that our conversation won't be encrypted (including tray notifications, changing your text color and appending an indicator to your nickname).  You don't see anything.

If we both have simp, the first time we message each other it will present us with the signature of the other person's key and ask to accept or decline.  It will detect and warn me if your key ever changes -- that way I can know if someone else has stolen your account, as they would be using a different key.

RE: RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by netsplit on 10-24-2008 at 01:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Actually, simp (a Messenger encryption addon I suggested earlier in this thread) has no trouble detecting whether the other user also has it and handling the key exchange, completely transparently. 

Now see that's interesting. How does it do that? What's it's data channel?
RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by XgD on 10-28-2008 at 04:05 PM

I'm working on an OTR script for Messenger Plus right now. I've got Key Exchange working, and once I get AES working theres only a few bugs to kill and I'm good to go :D

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by prashker on 10-28-2008 at 10:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XgD
I'm working on an OTR script for Messenger Plus right now. I've got Key Exchange working, and once I get AES working theres only a few bugs to kill and I'm good to go :D
epic :p
RE: RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by Ryzer on 01-05-2009 at 07:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XgD

Any updates? Really looking forward to this. :)
RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by hentailoli on 02-18-2012 at 04:33 PM

is this still being worked on or what?  with privacy becoming more and more important this should be on the very top of the scripts list :(

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by hentailoli on 05-02-2012 at 06:57 PM

well nobody interested or what

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by hentailoli on 07-03-2012 at 04:37 PM

is this a dead project or what?

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by matty on 07-03-2012 at 05:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hentailoli
is this a dead project or what?
Well considering the OP's last visit was in 2008 I would assume yes...
RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by hentailoli on 07-03-2012 at 07:43 PM

damn shouldve known it was too good to be true ....

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by matty on 07-03-2012 at 08:46 PM

Look what I found: [Release] Off The Record - IM Encryption - v0.13

Unfortunately the link in the thread no longer works.

RE: OTR support in Messenger plus by hentailoli on 07-03-2012 at 11:15 PM

yeah and the protocol version of otr is outdated ive sent him an email not sure if hes gona reply thou after him being inactive for so long