How can i do this in photoshop? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How can i do this in photoshop? (/showthread.php?tid=86690)

How can i do this in photoshop? by M73A on 10-16-2008 at 08:10 PM

whats the easiest way to make this ribbon effect in photoshop?

[Image: 101.gif]

i need to make an olympic style border and want a sort of ribbony effect like that one

RE: How can i do this in photoshop? by vaccination on 10-16-2008 at 08:42 PM

Uhm, without testing it I can think of 2 options, a) using the pen tool(this'd be the proper way to do it) b) using the Shear filter(Filter > Distort > Shear).

Basically you'd draw a line(how ever you like, pencil, brush, or just regular old marquee tool), then with that layer selected do Filter > Distort > Shear and use the ui that appears to bend and manipulate the line.

You can then duplicate the layer and change the colour overlay to get your different colours, and do some more 'shearing' on each different line to get slight variations/that crossover effect.

The 'shearing' tool is relatively self explanatory in the way you use it, just play around with the dialog that appears and you should get the gist of it(it's simple).

Again, the pen tool would be the proper way to do this though, but most people find it quite hard to use(which it can be).

EDIT: Oh, I hadn't anticipated that, shear method will only work on vertical lines, so you'd have to do it vertically and then rotate as needed

RE: How can i do this in photoshop? by Willz on 10-16-2008 at 11:26 PM

By the looks of it it was most likely done in illustrator with paths using one of the marker brushes and then maybe taken into photoshop for editing.

So yeah if you have access to Illustrator I would try making the ribbon effect there and then taking it into photoshop for editing.

RE: How can i do this in photoshop? by M73A on 10-17-2008 at 04:31 PM

oo thanks guys, shear tool looks like a good idea :)

would have to go across campus for illustrator. lol :D sort of concept anyways!

RE: How can i do this in photoshop? by Dex Luther on 10-20-2008 at 10:05 PM

Draw the line the way you want it. Place your text over it.

Then add a layer mask on the layer with the text (third button on the bottom of the layer pallet).  Use the brush tool and Black as your color and brush over the text where you want the ribbon to pass over the text.

RE: How can i do this in photoshop? by prashker on 10-20-2008 at 10:13 PM

Originally posted by M73A (Smilie) sort of concept anyways!
haha i used that a long time ago \o/