Shoutbox

Problem installing msn - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Problem installing msn (/showthread.php?tid=86844)

Problem installing msn by uperkurk on 10-24-2008 at 01:47 PM

Hello, I just got a new computer running vista x64 and I'm trying to install msn messenger, the window says "its searching for other windows live programs but then about 10 seconds later it say msn messenger and sign in assistant did not install.

It's so annoying ive tried everything I can think of, please help.

RE: Problem installing msn by T.T. on 10-25-2008 at 10:04 AM

use the full install package of live messenger 8.5 instead of windows live (web) installer. you can download it from Softpedia or alternate place. the install method of new wave 3 beta version is more difficult to x64 systems, so i suggest that use the stable 8.5 :)

RE: Problem installing msn by uperkurk on 10-25-2008 at 12:14 PM

Thanks for your help but when I try to install the one from softpedia it says "A network error accourred while attempting to read from the file: C:\users\uperkurk\downloads\install_WLMessenger[1].msi

Any other guesses :(

By the way my internet is working fine :)

RE: Problem installing msn by T.T. on 10-25-2008 at 12:42 PM

yep, because you have an incomplete setup progress. download the MS installer cleanup, install it, and run the msicuu.exe from "c:\program Files\Windows installer clean up" (or you can find it under start menu\programs as "Windows Install Clean Up"). if you see any "windows live xxx" in the list, now select it and click to "remove" button. restart your pc and after that try to install WLM again. GL! :)

RE: Problem installing msn by uperkurk on 10-25-2008 at 01:45 PM

OK I have can now install it :D thanks alot but now when I try to sign in it says "windows could not sign you in, it could be due to your firewall bla bla bla"

The error code is 80048820 and extended error code is 80048412

Also I have another problem, not really the place but maybe you can help. I think I had a virus and it took away my admin rights, it still says im admin but some programs I have to right click then run as administrator.

And some things I cant run at all :( and ideas how to fix this?

RE: Problem installing msn by T.T. on 10-25-2008 at 02:21 PM

not sure that you have a virus. at first check this:
"If you are receiving error 80048820 when trying to sign into Windows Live Messenger you should also get an extended error code.  If this extended error code is 80048412 the problem often occurs because the time and date settings on the computer are incorrect."
More info

i mean you have any antivirus sw. if haven't, that's big mistake :)
perhaps you can use trendmicro online scanner or One Care Live to scan viruses/trojans on your pc.

in the last resort:
reinstall your vista, and install an antivirus sw before you connect to the internet.

RE: Problem installing msn by uperkurk on 10-25-2008 at 02:30 PM

All my anti virus and firewalls are free from the internet. like AVG and LAVASOFT.

You say about the time is different, how do I check the time of the messenger. My clock is corrent on my computer

RE: Problem installing msn by djdannyp on 10-25-2008 at 02:54 PM

Messenger takes its time from the clock on the computer, so if that is correct then the time thing won't be the problem.

If you had a virus that you're not sure what it did then re-installing the OS may be the best option.

Try searching the forum for your error code as you may find threads from people who had similar problems that could have solutions in them

RE: Problem installing msn by T.T. on 10-25-2008 at 03:03 PM

i said this: the time and date settings on the computer are incorrect
if that's correct, then you may have a virus/trojan/etc. try to find it with online scanners. if they find nothing, well i don't have more idea.
vista reinstall? :)

RE: Problem installing msn by uperkurk on 10-25-2008 at 03:23 PM

Looks like its going to be a vista re-install, vista is so crap should of just got xp. anyways if I re-install vista will that remove the viruses? Also how do I even unistall vista? lol :^)

RE: Problem installing msn by robert_dll on 10-25-2008 at 04:00 PM

Well, once ina forum I saw a user with the same problem and I said him to check date and hour, but they were current. Finally he called his ISP and they told him to change the connection config, he did it and he finally solved the problem 8-)

RE: RE: Problem installing msn by djdannyp on 10-25-2008 at 04:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by uperkurk
Looks like its going to be a vista re-install, vista is so crap should of just got xp. anyways if I re-install vista will that remove the viruses? Also how do I even unistall vista? lol :^)

you have to boot from your vista CD and format the hard drive, then do a clean install

and vista is much better than XP, way more stable, etc....you just got unlucky getting a virus
RE: Problem installing msn by uperkurk on 10-25-2008 at 04:22 PM

Thanks for your help so far everyone, how do I boot from the vista CD and reinstalling vista will romove the viruses?

RE: Problem installing msn by robert_dll on 10-25-2008 at 04:38 PM

quote:
Thanks for your help so far everyone, how do I boot from the vista CD and reinstalling vista will romove the viruses?
You have to configure BIOS to first boot from your dvd drive, after you do that and restart, it will boot from DVD and ask you to press any key.
RE: Problem installing msn by uperkurk on 10-25-2008 at 05:07 PM

OK thanks for your help, by the way will this remove all the viruses on my computer?

RE: Problem installing msn by robert_dll on 10-25-2008 at 05:10 PM

quote:
OK thanks for your help, by the way will this remove all the viruses on my computer?
You have to delete the partition to make sure all viruses are gone, you can make this during the install process

RE: Problem installing msn by uperkurk on 10-25-2008 at 05:27 PM

OK im on the install page and its come up the partitians bit and it says "Disk 0 partitians 1"

And the options are Refresh, load driver, deleted, format and new

What do I do to ensure I have no viruses.

RE: Problem installing msn by robert_dll on 10-25-2008 at 05:32 PM

If you are sure that is the partition whre you have Windows installed the click on delete, and then on new. Choose partition size and accept.

RE: Problem installing msn by uperkurk on 10-25-2008 at 05:41 PM

So I delete the partitian and then make a new one, I hope it dont mess up so it tells me that I have no hard drive to install it to or something lol