Shoutbox

My run in with 81000306 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: My run in with 81000306 (/showthread.php?tid=86908)

My run in with 81000306 by John Anderton on 10-27-2008 at 05:51 AM

I've had this issue for nearly 8 months now. I know its well documented on the internet and even here on the forum but through all my attempts, I've not found a solution :(

81000306 is basically telling us that it can't connect to the server. I ran troubleshooter and it says my default gateway is down. I've tried everything available on the internet for 81000306 but to no avail.

Furthermore, here's my ipconfig /all output

code:
E:\wget>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : MysticGohan
   Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
   Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
   IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
   WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

PPP adapter The Internet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : The Internet
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 221.128.x.y(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
   DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 202.63.x.y
                                       202.63.x.y
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : **-**-**-**-**-**
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.51.167(Preferred)
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
   NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

So WLM wasn't incorrect in bitching about an incorrect default gateway. Here are things I'd like to ask about..
  • Why is DHCP showing up as disabled when it is set to take the IPs from my ISP (thus should say DHCP enabled, correct?)
  • Why in the world is the default gateway 0.0.0.0 when everyone else gets a default gateway correctly?

A guy brought his lappy here and it worked fine for him. I tried reinstalling my network card driver but that didn't help either :(

I have tried all solutions I could find for 81000306 and for the default gateway being uninitialised that I could think of and find online. I've tried disabling and re-enabling the NIC as well but to no avail.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I've been without my WLM for long enough :P

EDIT: I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x86 with WLM 8.5 (tried a million reinstalls with and without Plus!).
Solving this in the near future would be a great Diwali gift :P
RE: My run in with 81000306 by ryxdp on 10-27-2008 at 08:22 AM

I usually find that resetting my router (just unplugging it, waiting, say, 20 seconds before plugging it back in again) does the trick. Dunno why though, not exactly an expert on this, so it may not work. But just in case :P

RE: My run in with 81000306 by John Anderton on 10-27-2008 at 09:03 AM

My ISP doesn't provide me with a router. Its shit PPPOE. They give us the cable at our place and a username/password to go with :dodgy:

The router is somewhere half way across the city :P

RE: My run in with 81000306 by Th3rmal on 10-27-2008 at 09:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
My ISP doesn't provide me with a router. Its shit PPPOE. They give us the cable at our place and a username/password to go with :dodgy:

Cant you have a router on your behalf as well on your side? Or is it like this everywhere?

Alternatively, ask them nicely to reset it for you, rendering alot of people without internet for a good 30 seconds :P

RE: My run in with 81000306 by Felu on 10-27-2008 at 12:53 PM

1. Open Network Connections (WinKey+R -> ncpa.cpl)
2. Double Click your network device (Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller?)
3. Click Details
4. Does it show any Default gateway there?

RE: My run in with 81000306 by John Anderton on 11-08-2008 at 07:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
1. Open Network Connections (WinKey+R -> ncpa.cpl)
2. Double Click your network device (Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller?)
3. Click Details
4. Does it show any Default gateway there?
You mean Local Area network and Details = properties then no... its all set to get automatically from server (isn't that DHCP?)
Which begs the question, why does ipconfig /all say dhcp is disabled? (refer post #1 in the thread)
RE: My run in with 81000306 by Felu on 11-08-2008 at 08:00 AM

I mean
[Image: detailsur3.th.jpg][Image: thpix.gif]

RE: My run in with 81000306 by John Anderton on 11-08-2008 at 08:09 AM

Obviously that's null as in blank :P Same as the internet connection's default gateway :P

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:

Cant you have a router on your behalf as well on your side? Or is it like this everywhere?

Alternatively, ask them nicely to reset it for you, rendering alot of people without internet for a good 30 seconds :P
They wouldn't listen to, what to them seems like a newbie customer. Already made the request ages ago. I've told them a million times when their hardware was manufacturing half way across the city. They'd rather have a hundred people complain then look at it than listen to the first customer who complains.. that too with exact details as to what the fault is and where it lies.
In short, my ISP is run by a bunch of newbs and provide possibly the worst service on this planet. :) Before you ask, I don't change service cause I can't. Long story. Easier to move out of here which is in about 10 months if all goes to plan :P
RE: My run in with 81000306 by John Anderton on 11-27-2008 at 07:36 PM

* John Anderton tries CPR on the thread...
Any help? :P
*beeeeeeeeeeeeeep*
CLEAR
* John Anderton shocks

JA to English Translation of this post: I'm bumping this thread hoping someone can help :)

RE: My run in with 81000306 by matty on 11-27-2008 at 07:44 PM

Here are some things you can try.

Open the command prompt with administrator rights
run the following commands:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

If it doesn't get the proper address go to the Device Manager and reinstall the network drivers (right click Uninstall) then either reboot or click Action > Scan for hardware changes (Doing so will remove any settings for the network card)

Also before you uninstall the drivers if you go to the IP address settings for the network card
Set it to optain an ip automatically and remove the alternate configuration settings from the second tab at the top (clicking obtain hides the tab automatically so do that before hand).

Sorry this posts just jumps around lol

RE: My run in with 81000306 by John Anderton on 11-28-2008 at 07:30 AM

code:
E:\wget>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
And seemingly this is only happening to me. I'll try the driver reinstall thing :)
RE: My run in with 81000306 by ShawnZ on 11-28-2008 at 01:03 PM

quote:

yes, the idea is that you buy a router yourself, and connect it to your PPPOE modem...
RE: My run in with 81000306 by Adeptus on 11-29-2008 at 06:28 PM

I had the nastiest case with this ever.  It may not be exactly the same as yours, but this started happening on my work laptop, at one of our offices only.  The error seemed to come back very quickly, as if it didn't even try to connect.  It wasn't only happening sometimes, it wouldn't work at all.

I went through testing with another account, uninstalling and reinstalling Messenger several times, once trying to manually clear out anything it might have left behind in the registry, flushng DNS cache on both the laptop and the actual DNS server on the network, looking for changes in firewall policies, having the laptop's private IP address translate to a different public address in case mine was "banned", everything.  Nothing worked.

What puzzled me was that it would work when I was anywhere else, including our other offices -- which are sharing the same exact internet connection over the WAN.  The only difference between the office A and the office B was the local IP address ranges.

I couldn't see why, but since nothing else had worked, I changed my private IP address reservation anyway, and was shocked to find that fixed the problem.  Furthermore, I could put the laptop back on the old private address and it wouldn't connect again.  I can probably still do that and replicate the problem.  It's the equivalent of changing a computer behind your home router from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.3.  It shouldn't make any difference, right?

I would love to hear a guess from one of Microsoft's developers as to what may have been responsible.  There is NO functional difference between the old IP address that makes Messenger not work and any others which work fine; no different firewall rules, nothing.  I am the network administrator and I know this.  Oh well.

RE: My run in with 81000306 by tony on 11-29-2008 at 06:38 PM

Try to run this command:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Has worked fine for a lot of friends resolving tcp/ip  problems.

RE: My run in with 81000306 by John Anderton on 12-01-2008 at 11:39 AM

@tony: Running cmd in admin mode, I still am denied access. My UAC is disabled and yes, my cmd window does say Adminstrator on the top :P
Here's what the cmd told me exactly.

code:
E:\wget>netsh int ip reset C:\resetlog.txt
Reseting Echo Request, failed.
Access is denied.

Reseting Interface, OK!
A reboot is required to complete this action.

RE: My run in with 81000306 by matty on 12-01-2008 at 04:45 PM

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817571 as if you are using Windows XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233 This looks really promising!

RE: My run in with 81000306 by tony on 12-01-2008 at 05:15 PM

Try "netsh int ip reset" only :)