Shoutbox

Safety - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Safety (/showthread.php?tid=86910)

Safety by olive_tree on 10-27-2008 at 11:48 AM

Hello,

In the company where I work I am are able to use Windows Live Messenger. The problem is that I don't know how safe it is. Being connected to a local area network, I don't know if the company is able to read the messages I send and receive through Windows Live Messenger.

Can anyone inform me about this issue?

Thanks,

R.

RE: Safety by prashker on 10-27-2008 at 11:51 AM

It's probably possible, i'm sure if they really wanted to they could.

http://www.msgpluslive.net/scripts/search/?q=Crypt

Multiple Encryption type based scripts, the other end (the person you're talking too) has to have it also :p

RE: Safety by olive_tree on 10-27-2008 at 12:21 PM

But do you think the messages are recorded in the server and can be read later? Or they can just be read when they are being sent?

Thanks,

R

RE: Safety by Menthix on 10-27-2008 at 12:37 PM

Regular instant messages aren't stored on any server, only on your PC or the PC of the person receiving it when any of you has chatlogs enabled. Offline messages are stored on Microsoft's Messenger servers until the contact you're sending the message to comes online.

But as Sam pointed out, communication is not encrypted and could be sniffed. If security is a big issue for your situation I'd recommend using some form of encryption.

RE: Safety by olive_tree on 10-27-2008 at 01:42 PM

So, messages can only be sniffed when they are being sent and received. If they're not sniffed when being sent or received, they cannot be sniffed later, right?

Thanks a lot for your comments,

R

RE: Safety by Spunky on 10-27-2008 at 02:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by olive_tree
they cannot be sniffed later, right?

Some businesses and schools/colleges do record the sites pepole visit and so possibly also any data that is sent. If they do keep logs, it is unlikely the check everyone's traffic unless there is an incident that warrents it. If they are going to keep track of one person individually, the need a reason and need to give that person a warning that this will happen (possibly inside some IT guidlines). The warning does not have to be specific however and they can just say "We have reason to believe ... and will be moitoring certain people's web traffic for reasons of security"
RE: Safety by ShawnZ on 10-27-2008 at 10:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by olive_tree
they cannot be sniffed later, right?

no, but keep in mind, if they *are* sniffed when being sent and received, the sniffer can then save the messages and read them later. the sniffing process could be completely automatic.

also, offline messages are stored on microsoft's server until you sign in, and they're sent to you then.
RE: Safety by Adeptus on 10-27-2008 at 10:13 PM

The appliance my company uses for web filtering is capable of logging instant messaging content for most of the popular IM services.  We don't employ that feature, but turning it on is as easy as ticking a checkbox.

RE: Safety by RaceProUK on 10-28-2008 at 09:24 PM

I think, so long as Messenger use is legal, not personal and not excessive, you shouldn't need to worry about safety or message sniffing.

RE: Safety by Voldemort on 10-28-2008 at 09:27 PM

I guess it should be in your company policy?

RE: Safety by Quantum on 10-28-2008 at 10:14 PM

Why don't MS encrypt data packets with WLM protocol/chats in it?

RE: Safety by Jarrod on 10-29-2008 at 12:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
Why don't MS encrypt data packets with WLM protocol/chats in it?
cos they don't need to

do you use a proxy server @ work?