Shoutbox

Partition Without Reformatting - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Partition Without Reformatting (/showthread.php?tid=86982)

Partition Without Reformatting by Eddie on 11-01-2008 at 09:38 AM

Hello guys, i'm planning to make a partition so i can install Windows XP again, i'm getting sick of vista and the lack of compatibility with a few of the programs i use, so does anyone know of any "obtainable" programs that could perform this task the best? :) Thanks.

RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Phillip on 11-01-2008 at 09:51 AM

What programs are you trying to install..? I just turn the compatibility services off and install away.

This is the guide I followed. Just steps 1-4 and I didn't boot into safe mode either. Worked fine.

If that doesn't work I used to use Partition magic back in the days but I haven't had to partition my hdd for years so I don't know if it's still any good.

RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Eddie on 11-01-2008 at 09:59 AM

I just want to use XP more often, i have only ever been interested in the UI of Vista, and i have just grown tired of it :P

RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Phillip on 11-01-2008 at 10:06 AM

No problem, it's your decision. I would like to say one thing though. XP doesn't really have anything that Vista doesn't have and if you like to game than Vista is really what you should be using. Anyway that's all I have to say.

RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Eddie on 11-01-2008 at 10:07 AM

Yeah, i only play games on my Xbox 360 so that's alright hehe. Thanks, anyone else got any suggestions for programs that could be used? :)

RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Vilkku on 11-01-2008 at 11:39 AM

Use GParted.

RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Jarrod on 11-01-2008 at 11:39 AM

partition magic for sure+++

RE: RE: Partition Without Reformatting by djdannyp on 11-01-2008 at 11:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod

Mm, seconded.

I've used it before on live installs and it seems fairly reliable.

Another option would be to just install XP on the same partition and dual boot that way (it's slightly messier, but it still works just fine)

Or of course if you really hate vista that much, just backup your stuff and then format and install xp and get a vista theme for it (there are some very convincing ones out there)

Though why you'd want to install XP ontop of Vista is beyond me :P
RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Eddie on 11-01-2008 at 12:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
quote:

Mm, seconded.

I've used it before on live installs and it seems fairly reliable.

Another option would be to just install XP on the same partition and dual boot that way (it's slightly messier, but it still works just fine)

Or of course if you really hate vista that much, just backup your stuff and then format and install xp and get a vista theme for it (there are some very convincing ones out there)

Though why you'd want to install XP ontop of Vista is beyond me :P
Yeah i've already contemplated that, but i only have a 80 GB HDD with my operating system stuff and a 260 or so GB for downloads, so im planning to split the 260 GIG 50/50 *-)
RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Eljay on 11-01-2008 at 12:07 PM

Just use Vista's built-in partition editor? (diskmgmt.msc)

RE: RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Phillip on 11-01-2008 at 12:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
Just use Vista's built-in partition editor? (diskmgmt.msc)
I've tried before. It becomes a dynamic partition which doesn't get picked up in the Windows install.
RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Jesus on 11-01-2008 at 12:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Partition magic but I don't know if it's still any good.
I second that suggestion.
I always use an old version (PowerQuest Partition Magic 8.0, before it was taken over by Symantec) so I don't know how the newer versions from Symantec are.
Anyway I never created rescue diskettes because I find it too much of a hassle (NOT RECOMMENDED) and it never screwed up on me :)

EDIT2: EDIT: jarrod fails failed at quoting

RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Jarrod on 11-01-2008 at 09:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
quote:
I always use an old version (PowerQuest Partition Magic 8.0, before it was taken over by Symantec) so I don't know how the newer versions from Symantec are.

me 2 power quest are better than Symantec i use version 8 if you can't find it pm me
RE: RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Vilkku on 11-02-2008 at 07:55 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

me 2 power quest are better than Symantec i use version 8 if you can't find it pm me
Or just use GParted, it's free... :dodgy:
RE: RE: RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Phillip on 11-02-2008 at 08:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't think he had any intention of paying for the program anyway.

Edit:
quote:
No, but why warez when you can get a program with the same features (and arguably better) legally for free?
Why ask me..? I was just pointing out the obvious.
RE: RE: RE: RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Vilkku on 11-02-2008 at 08:18 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I don't think he had any intention of paying for the program anyway.
No, but why warez when you can get a program with the same features (and arguably better) legally for free?
RE: Partition Without Reformatting by Eddie on 11-02-2008 at 02:35 PM

In the end, i started getting errors about BOOTMGR errors on boot up when trying to do this, so i had to reformat anyway, fortunately i had photo and music backups, from about 4 weeks ago, thanks anyway guys (Y)

Im sure there was probably a logical fix for this, but i had no computer access external to my computer, and i tried numerous things until i eventually gave up and reformatted.