Shoutbox

Can You Submit A Skin To The DB With Your Own Adverts On It? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: Can You Submit A Skin To The DB With Your Own Adverts On It? (/showthread.php?tid=87013)

Can You Submit A Skin To The DB With Your Own Adverts On It? by Quantum on 11-02-2008 at 02:53 PM

Hello.

If i was i go ahead and do the rest of my skin (that I'm pathetically trying to make) and send it to the DB is it OK to include my own advertisements in the skin at various places?

RE: Can You Submit A Skin To The DB With Your Own Adverts On It? by Basilis on 11-02-2008 at 02:58 PM

Well, you are allowed to change the banner image for example in the contact list since it appears temporary and I have seen changed it in many skins. About other places though, you need to wait for MenthiX to tell you. :)

RE: Can You Submit A Skin To The DB With Your Own Adverts On It? by Nathan on 11-02-2008 at 02:58 PM

I suppose so, as long as you don't remove the MSN adverts.

RE: Can You Submit A Skin To The DB With Your Own Adverts On It? by Quantum on 11-02-2008 at 03:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
Well, you are allowed to change the banner image for example in the contact list

Banner Image ? :P
RE: Can You Submit A Skin To The DB With Your Own Adverts On It? by Basilis on 11-02-2008 at 03:01 PM

The one at the bottom. It has an id so you can replace it. If you notice, when you sign in, there is a default image appearing temporarily there. Many skins change that image.

RE: Can You Submit A Skin To The DB With Your Own Adverts On It? by Quantum on 11-02-2008 at 03:03 PM

The advert one? If it's not loaded it will Show "Windows Live Messenger" and the buddy's?

RE: Can You Submit A Skin To The DB With Your Own Adverts On It? by prashker on 11-02-2008 at 03:04 PM

From a skin users point of view, if I was using your skin and it was something I'd use. I would figure out your code just to remove it...so I would say that while it may be allowed, it would not be practical nor preferred for the skin users :p

RE: Can You Submit A Skin To The DB With Your Own Adverts On It? by Basilis on 11-02-2008 at 03:08 PM

That image with the buddies is the one you can change. Its id is 1472.

I agree with SonicSam. Most users won't like their preferred skin to be full of ads. If you are going to add ads, do it discretely.

RE: Can You Submit A Skin To The DB With Your Own Adverts On It? by Menthix on 11-07-2008 at 07:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by john-t
The advert one? If it's not loaded it will Show "Windows Live Messenger" and the buddy's?
You can change that one in your skins, plenty of skins in the DB already do that.

As for advertising in skins in general: I agree with Sam. Adding to that, if a skin is more an advert for a site than an actual skin I will not accept it.