Shoutbox

[Release] X360+ - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: [Release] X360+ (/showthread.php?tid=87030)

[Release] X360+ by ArkaneArkade on 11-02-2008 at 07:57 PM

Hey guys,

I've been working on this one for a while now, and it's nowhere as complete as I intend it to be yet, but as far as I can tell it's stable just now.  As always single person testing can check everything so I'm hoping that any errors I've missed will be reported.

Features
Set your media message to your current Xbox 360 game.
or
Set your media media message to a game gimmick message.

Since Plus! doesnt seem to detect PSM changes from Xbox users, the script uses Xniff to find out what game you're currently playing, and duplicate it.
The game names and gimmick messages are taken from an XML  database, in order to clean up names (from R and TM marks etc).  this database is extremely limited atm, and also local until I can get the online script working properly.

The gimmicks were basically for me, but theres no point removing it, I think its a nice feature.  changes the message to things, such as "The Cake is a lie" for Portal, and so on.

If anyone uncovers and problems, or has any suggestions/requests, please let me know.

- Should probably let people know that to use the script, you need your xbox to sign into messenger, and to set your preferences to look for your xbox signin email address and gamertag.

RE: [Release] X360+ by prashker on 11-02-2008 at 07:59 PM

Download Link :p?

RE: RE: [Release] X360+ by ArkaneArkade on 11-02-2008 at 08:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Download Link :p?
Yeah, was a little too quick to press the send there.  You got in just before I updated.
RE: [Release] X360+ by prashker on 11-02-2008 at 08:05 PM

And just to make sure, the email address attached to the 360 has to be different than the one using WLM on the PC with the script right :p?

RE: [Release] X360+ by ArkaneArkade on 11-02-2008 at 08:13 PM

Unfortunately, yes atm.  I'm hoping to discover a better method of doing a lot of the things... or that the xbox will be given the ability to sign in as a second location when Messenger 9 is out, but until then, it's different accounts I'm afraid :(

RE: [Release] X360+ by prashker on 11-02-2008 at 08:19 PM

I had an idea, but it would probably defeat the purpose of all your hard work :p?

For example

http://live.xbox.com/member/SonicSamZ

That says

Current Status:

Playing Xbox 360 Dashboard

Wouldn't there be a way to extract the info from there?

However I think there's a flaw because if you login to that site as yourself it doesn't say what you're doing :(

RE: [Release] X360+ by ArkaneArkade on 11-02-2008 at 10:25 PM

Hey sonicSam.  Sorry, woulda replyed, but I got called into work since I live closest and people were skiving. :@

I did consider using the live member pages, but didn't for various reasons.  For a start I don't really wanna access a web page periodically, and also I wouldn't have a clue about cookies.

I know this method isn't the best, since xniff seems to drop packets sometimes, and theres no way to enable/disable (yet) but it seemed to work.  Of course, I know that xniff doesn't work for everyone as well, so I'm really hoping to discover something.
Hopefully time will tell.
Soon.

RE: [Release] X360+ by prashker on 11-02-2008 at 10:30 PM

Hopefully they'll be improvements to MSN on the 360 come November 19th with the New Xbox Experience :).

Thanks for the script :)

RE: [Release] X360+ by SmokingCookie on 11-04-2008 at 07:14 PM

Ehh.. It kinda doesn't save the settings..?
Also, there's no "about" menu item :P

RE: RE: [Release] X360+ by ArkaneArkade on 11-04-2008 at 10:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SmokingCookie
Ehh.. It kinda doesn't save the settings..?
Also, there's no "about" menu item :P

I've updated the main post, putting v1.1 up.  The saving has been working for me in this version, so hopefully will solve your problem.  If not gimme a shout again and I'll try a new method.

Theres no about menu item, because there isn't an about menu.  At least, not yet, but I did notice the preferences shows a lot more than is functional.  Mainly cos I suck at doing the interface, and added everything at once.

This version has added DP support, which will change your DP to the game icon, or to a logo if the gimmicks are enabled.  This feature is currently very limited, due to the fact I'm working on my games DB and trying to add more and more when things are working.
If theres any requests for games or psms, I'd be happy to add them.  And as always any problems gimme a shout.
RE: [Release] X360+ by SmokingCookie on 11-05-2008 at 03:11 PM

Well, OnGetScriptMenu does reveal an about-menu-looking MenuId :P

Anyways, if you need a solid system for storing settings, I'm currently working on it.

RE: [Release] X360+ by ArkaneArkade on 11-05-2008 at 05:18 PM

Guess I just didn't remove the about menu properly.  It should be gone in 1.1, because I don't have it.  When I have the script fully done there will be an about window, since I have a few certain people to give thanks to. ;)

Keep me posted on this system storage your working on.  I have something planned and it's definitly outgrown the registry.

RE: [Release] X360+ by SmokingCookie on 11-05-2008 at 06:18 PM

XML data storage?

RE: RE: [Release] X360+ by ArkaneArkade on 11-05-2008 at 06:39 PM

quote:
XML data storage?
Think its gonna have to be.  Jus gimme the time to figure out how to do it, and then I can (hopefully) start on the masterplan.
RE: [Release] X360+ by SmokingCookie on 11-05-2008 at 06:56 PM

I've tried to, but numbers and boolean values are very difficult to detect in XML. I recommend sticking to the reg..

But of course, it's your master plan :P

RE: RE: [Release] X360+ by ArkaneArkade on 11-06-2008 at 05:19 PM

quote:
But of course, it's your master plan :P
It is.. but thats not to say that suggested improvements will be ignored.
Perhaps just an ini file would be the best solution, if xml isn't great for bools (which is like 90% of my settings).
RE: [Release] X360+ by Matti on 11-06-2008 at 05:41 PM

There's nothing hard on reading/writing booleans from an XML file, as long as you do it properly:

Writing:

code:
node.text = 1*bBoolean;
Reading:
code:
bBoolean = (1*node.text == true);
That way, you always read and write 0 or 1 and you don't have to worry about converting a string containing "true" to a Boolean and such.

However, if it's for keeping a user's preferences, I'd recommend using the registry, yes. It's easier for you, the developer: no need to create extra files in places where they may get lost, preferences are properly removed when script is uninstalled and the functions are lots simpler. It's also better for the user: he/she won't easily delete them accidentally.
RE: [Release] X360+ by ArkaneArkade on 11-09-2008 at 01:48 PM

Awesome.  cheers for that Matti.  I still have a long way to go to understand and write xml properly, but if it'll work I at least know it won't be pointless.  cheers man.

RE: [Release] X360+ by ArkaneArkade on 11-12-2008 at 11:05 AM

Updated the script in the main post.  Now uses xml instead of registry to save settings.
I'm working on the game db.  If anyone has anything to add send me a pm with the game code (gets added to unknown games.txt), name, and psm/image.

As always, shout if theres any problems and I'll get right on it.