Shoutbox

Feature Request: File Storing - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Feature Request: File Storing (/showthread.php?tid=87046)

Feature Request: File Storing by jeriko on 11-03-2008 at 09:15 AM

Hello!

If I receive files from one of my contacts, it would be nice if they are stored in an individual folder.

e.g.
files of contact 1 in
C:\download\WLM\contact 1\

files of contact 2 in
C:\download\WLM\contact 2\

Best regards,
jeriko

RE: Feature Request: File Storing by Dex Luther on 11-03-2008 at 10:06 PM

Sharing Folders does that. Well it does when it actually manages to sync.

RE: Feature Request: File Storing by djdannyp on 11-03-2008 at 10:20 PM

Sharing folders are being removed for the new WLM however and being replaced by the use of Windows Live SkyDrive

However what you're asking for is very possible with scripts, I'm sure if you posted a request in the scripting sub-forum that someone would be able to knock it together for you.

I doubt it will be included as a new feature in Messenger Plus though

RE: Feature Request: File Storing by prashker on 11-03-2008 at 10:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
However what you're asking for is very possible with scripts
MP!L does not know what contact the file transfer is being accepted from.
RE: RE: Feature Request: File Storing by djdannyp on 11-03-2008 at 10:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:

Oh, my mistake....I'd have thought it was something that would be relatively straightforward just checking the e-mail address attached to whatever window a file transfer is coming from
RE: Feature Request: File Storing by prashker on 11-03-2008 at 10:59 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh, my mistake....I'd have thought it was something that would be relatively straightforward just checking the e-mail address attached to whatever window a file transfer is coming from
Nah, there has been a gigantic discussion about this and you have to weird things to find out, Elgay and Dempsey were working something out I think :p, this was a while ago though....so dunno
RE: Feature Request: File Storing by Spunky on 11-03-2008 at 11:21 PM

quote:
Nah, there has been a gigantic discussion about this and you have to weird things to find out, Elgay and Dempsey were working something out I think , this was a while ago though....so dunno

Yeah, I have it... :p

It's not hard to figure out WHO it's coming from... You have to do some stuff with a header to find the filename and filesize and if you could also figure out how far the transfer has completed. Unless they wanna put the script up, I doubt anyone else will wanna do this...

RE: Feature Request: File Storing by Eljay on 11-03-2008 at 11:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky

It's not hard to figure out WHO it's coming from... You have to do some stuff with a header to find the filename and filesize and if you could also figure out how far the transfer has completed. Unless they wanna put the script up, I doubt anyone else will wanna do this...

Figuring out who it is coming from isn't that hard, but there are a lot of other things to take into consideration, such as:
  • Messenger sometimes uses the existing conversation connections, but sometimes connects directly meaning we have to listen on another port. Not sure if we ever figured out when/why each is used.
  • If the file already exists, we need to figure out the new filename so we move the correct file.
  • Polygamy. Only file transfers with the current messenger instance need to be detected, I think we had this working though.
  • Xniff :P as you probably know, it's not very reliable and doesn't work at all for some people. If anyone can come up with a bulletproof way of detecting all incoming traffic, I can try and find time to work on this again because this was one of the main reasons we stopped working on it.
Probably a lot more stuff I can't think of right now, the more we worked on it the more problems there were.

And yes, it should probably be possible to get the current transfer progress if we could reliably detect the transfers in the first place.

RE: Feature Request: File Storing by Spunky on 11-03-2008 at 11:50 PM

1) AFAIK during testing of my script, it never used a direct connection. Obviously it occasionally does, but I think you can determine the port from the connection messages.

2) Is it API calls or FileSystemObject that can use FileExists? Can't remember off the top of my head, but use recursive calls with an incrementing number until it returns false.

3) I hate polygamy with Xniff. Enough said.

4) I'm still waiting for a more reliable way. Even though I'm on Vista, with wireless network, my Xniff works, but obviously not for everyone... Is there any news of anybody making a better way of doing it (maybe on BETA forums? :P) I thought I heard a few whispers :p

RE: Feature Request: File Storing by jeriko on 11-05-2008 at 09:19 AM

So, at this moment, there is now way to make it possible? ;)

RE: Feature Request: File Storing by Dempsey on 11-05-2008 at 09:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jeriko
So, at this moment, there is now way to make it possible? ;)
It's not currently (easily) possible no, but we are always looking into new ways to get it working :-)
RE: Feature Request: File Storing by jeriko on 11-06-2008 at 06:17 PM

Ok, thank you!

Hopefully there will be a method to integrate this feature in future :)

RE: RE: Feature Request: File Storing by andrewdodd13 on 11-06-2008 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
1) AFAIK during testing of my script, it never used a direct connection. Obviously it occasionally does, but I think you can determine the port from the connection messages.
I know this is a dead-rez thread, but in my experience, direct connection is used quite a lot these days - basically, any time you don't get that little "Experiencing a slow connection?" message you're directly connected.

If it can't connect you directly then it will fallback to the MSNP2P protocol.

Although, there is an option buried somewhere that you can force MSN to disable direct connections and use the old protocol again.