Shoutbox

Xbox RRoD Towel Trick - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick (/showthread.php?tid=87249)

Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Eddie on 11-13-2008 at 05:28 AM

Hello folks,

I got that damn Xbox 360 Red Rings of Death error today, the same day i got Call of Duty 5, stupid thing, and i've been reading up on this towel trick that people do, I called up Microsoft today and they have told me to send it in, but i go away in a week and want a temporary fix to be able to play, do you guys think doing the "towel" trick is a bad or good idea?

RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Jimbo on 11-13-2008 at 08:06 AM

Is the towel trick where you lie a damp towel over the top of the 360?

RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Eddie on 11-13-2008 at 08:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
Is the towel trick where you lie a damp towel over the top of the 360?
Yeah i've heard that method, and you can just overheat it, i only want it to work for a few more days, a few people have complained that CoD:WaW have caused this to occur, which im surprised about.
RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Volv on 11-13-2008 at 10:00 AM

Well the towel trick has proven (temporary) results but I personally wouldn't care about playing my console that much.

PS: Discrate's opinion of WaW is similar to my own based upon the multiplayer beta however the campaign looks interesting and would probably be fun with co-op. Still not going to pay full price for a COD4 mod though :p

RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Eddie on 11-13-2008 at 10:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
Well the towel trick has proven (temporary) results but I personally wouldn't care about playing my console that much.
I have nothing better to do until leavers, i cant go anywhere, my friends are all in exams so ive got a few days of doing nothing -shrug-
RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Volv on 11-13-2008 at 10:07 AM

Well as to whether it's a good or bad idea, I'm rather paranoid and wouldn't want Microsoft accusing me of failing to follow their usage instructions if they perchance find some melted components (as a result of the towel trick) and then refusing the fix it. That said, I doubt Microsoft would be able to tell you've used it and even if you did you still haven't voided the warranty and you'll still get your refurbished box anyway so go ahead :p

RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Eddie on 11-13-2008 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Volv
Well as to whether it's a good or bad idea, I'm rather paranoid and wouldn't want Microsoft accusing me of failing to follow their usage instructions if they perchance find some melted components (as a result of the towel trick) and then refusing the fix it. That said, I doubt Microsoft would be able to tell you've used it and even if you did you still haven't voided the warranty and you'll still get your refurbished box anyway so go ahead :p
Haha, that post made me laugh, yeah ive done it and now had 2 hours of solid Xbox play :) its great.
RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by prashker on 11-13-2008 at 12:26 PM

My 360 turned off when I put it in towels :p.

Install X-Clamps, that what I did.

RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Eddie on 11-13-2008 at 12:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam

I'm not that good with fiddling with the insides of stuff and i dont dare mess with the inside if im about to send it in :/
RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by prashker on 11-13-2008 at 12:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam

I'm not that good with fiddling with the insides of stuff and i dont dare mess with the inside if im about to send it in :/
Oh, then go send it in. Use the Towel Method if you want, they may just shit bricks on you though :p
RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by ShawnZ on 11-13-2008 at 01:06 PM

send it in, you'll get an xbox back that doesn't RROD :p (at least, mine doesn't, and i bought it fairly recently)

RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Eddie on 11-13-2008 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
send it in, you'll get an xbox back that doesn't RROD :p (at least, mine doesn't, and i bought it fairly recently)
Yeah i will be in a few days, just before i go away :)
RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Phillip on 11-14-2008 at 07:34 AM

Well its gonna get replaced anyway so who cares if it does anything to the xbox.

RE: RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Vilkku on 11-14-2008 at 09:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
Well its gonna get replaced anyway so who cares if it does anything to the xbox.
If MS somehow notice he has voided the warranty?
RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Menthix on 11-14-2008 at 11:12 AM

I'm pretty sure there is no towel detector on the Xbox.

RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by djdannyp on 11-14-2008 at 11:30 AM

[Image: Towelie.jpg]

RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Eddie on 11-14-2008 at 04:10 PM

To be honest, i have the money to pay $130 if the warranty is declared "void", i don't care, nothing better to spend it on, already got my Leavers money sorted out. But it is working fine as is, since i did the Towel Trick last night, so yeah (Y) We will see.

RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Nathan on 11-14-2008 at 06:04 PM

Would this towel trick work on laptops as well? And would it be accepted?

RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Menthix on 11-14-2008 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Your laptop had red rings? :o
RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Eddie on 11-14-2008 at 06:34 PM

quote:
As far as i am aware isn't the Towel Trick only used to make the soldering inside the Xbox "expand" and make the GPU correctly placed again, or something like that, don't think it would work with a laptop? :S
RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by Nathan on 11-14-2008 at 06:49 PM

Oh I mis-read! I thought the towel trick broke it haha. My bad.

RE: Xbox RRoD Towel Trick by vaccination on 11-14-2008 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Oh I mis-read! I thought the red-rings broke it haha. My bad.
..sorry what?