Shoutbox

Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas (/showthread.php?tid=87269)

Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas by Jimbo on 11-14-2008 at 08:00 PM

Im looking to get a good laptop/PC for christmas. I have a budget of around £1000.
The only main specification i want is 4GB RAM and at least a dual core processor. A good graphics card would be good, preferably NVIDIA.
I dont mind either a laptop or a new PC but what would you guys recomend?

UK btw :P

RE: Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas by Menthix on 11-14-2008 at 08:04 PM

If you don't care if it is a laptop or PC, definitely go with a PC.

Because apparently you don't need to drag is around, which is really the only advantage of a laptop. With a budget like that you should be able to get a very decent PC easily.

Chirstmas budgets these days... max I would get here is maybe a game

RE: Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas by Jimbo on 11-14-2008 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
If you don't care if it is a laptop or PC, definitely go with a PC.

Because apparently you don't need to drag is around, which is really the only advantage of a laptop. With a budget like that you should be able to get a very decent PC easily.

Chirstmas budgets these days... max I would get here is maybe a game
Ok i will thanks.

Anyone recomend any good PCs? I was thinking about Alienware but you can get so much more for your money if you buy from somewhere else right?
RE: Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas by Kenji on 11-14-2008 at 08:43 PM

Build one yourself. You will get much more for the money.

RE: Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas by prashker on 11-14-2008 at 09:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzy
(y) don't do a Nathan :p
RE: Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas by Jimbo on 11-14-2008 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Ive never done that before and dont really want to try it. Anyone know of some good stores to buy from?
RE: Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas by Nathan on 11-14-2008 at 09:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:
Since when could you build a laptop?

Either way, I love this laptop, it's performance is insane for gaming.
RE: Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas by prashker on 11-14-2008 at 09:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:
Since when could you build a laptop?

Either way, I love this laptop, it's performance is insane for gaming.

I was refering to Dazzy's reply to Jimbo saying he may order from Alienware :p You can't "build" a laptop. But you can waste money at Alienware :p
RE: Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas by Nathan on 11-14-2008 at 09:54 PM

Yeah I know :p, and i dont regret going down the AW route, and you can't waste money on the m15x considering it's still the most powerful 15 inch laptop around - still to this day.

Anyway let's not go off topic:

If you have a tight budget, AW is probs not the right route for you, but building your own, and it's not that hard... seriously.

RE: Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas by Th3rmal on 11-14-2008 at 10:07 PM

Get one from a local computer shop (well known computer shop preferably). They are cheap and assemble it themselves if you dont want to risk assembling it :)

RE: Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas by prashker on 11-14-2008 at 10:15 PM

I don't care what you get. Just make sure it has a Intel i7 CPU and a GTX 280 GPU :p

RE: Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas by RebelSean on 11-14-2008 at 10:21 PM

The new Dell Studio Hybrid is stylish and a good bang for the buck, not a high-end PC though :).

RE: Looking to get a laptop/PC for Chirstmas by roflmao456 on 11-14-2008 at 10:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
Get one from a local computer shop (well known computer shop preferably). They are cheap and assemble it themselves if you dont want to risk assembling it :)
+bootleg windows