Shoutbox

Status Icons - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: Status Icons (/showthread.php?tid=87272)

Status Icons by freddy12 on 11-15-2008 at 02:01 AM

someone has already made this script before and it worked great but now it doesnt work in the new windows live messenger 9 so can someone that knows what they are doing make a new one that works with it  that would be great

RE: Status Icons by freddy12 on 11-26-2008 at 03:02 AM

im sure someone could remake this or update it

RE: Status Icons by matty on 11-26-2008 at 04:50 AM

Here is something I tossed together. Doesn't currently work with tabbed chats I am thinking of continuing on with this little side project for the fun of it.

Current Version 0.1

RE: Status Icons by prashker on 11-26-2008 at 05:10 AM

Works :D <3 matty

RE: Status Icons by matty on 11-26-2008 at 04:29 PM

When I get around to it I will be adding the ability to select a different icon set that you can use.

RE: Status Icons by freddy12 on 11-27-2008 at 01:25 PM

Hey thanks man  your a legend  it works good just like i wanted

RE: Status Icons by matty on 11-27-2008 at 02:17 PM

Not sure why but I noticed the icon changing back to the WLM default one for  some reason. If anyone else notices this let me know.

RE: Status Icons by matty on 11-30-2008 at 09:50 PM

I was bored so I started working on a new portion, multiple icon styles.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=939347]

RE: Status Icons by Basilis on 12-01-2008 at 01:13 PM

Looks great Matty! :)

RE: Status Icons by tmt64 on 08-23-2009 at 03:16 AM

great script. Would really love to see an update for this

RE: Status Icons by Spongshga on 08-31-2009 at 04:47 PM

what for  a comand is it to change?
"/change icon"??

RE: Status Icons by matty on 08-31-2009 at 05:01 PM

The script changes the icon of the chat window automatically depending on the contacts status. You do not need to do anything...

RE: Status Icons by Cerbus on 09-19-2009 at 03:01 PM

Is there any way to make this work in Windows 7 without using the small icons?

It doesn't seem to work when I'm using Windows 7's default task bar size.

RE: Status Icons by matty on 09-21-2009 at 12:35 PM

I don't have Windows 7. When I get it installed I will.

RE: Status Icons by Spunky on 09-22-2009 at 12:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
I don't have Windows 7. When I get it installed I will.

My script changed both... Are you changing the big and small icons? If not it's an extra line to the same function call, just a different param...
RE: Status Icons by Cerbus on 09-22-2009 at 11:44 AM

matty, great! I'll be waiting for it :D I prefer the bigger task bar in Windows 7 than the old one.

Spunky, do you have your script uploaded anywhere?

RE: Status Icons by matty on 09-22-2009 at 12:47 PM

Just add the highlighted line to the function

Javascript code:
function SetIcon (hWnd, nStatus, bIsContactBlocked) {
    var sIcon = MsgPlus.ScriptFilesPath + '\\' + oStatus[nStatus] + (bIsContactBlocked ? '_blocked' : '') + '.ico';
    var hIcon = Interop.Call("shell32", "ExtractIconW", hWnd, sIcon, 0);
    Interop.Call('user32', 'SendMessageW', hWnd, 0x80, 0, hIcon);
    Interop.Call('user32', 'SendMessageW', hWnd, 0x80, 1, hIcon);}

RE: Status Icons by Cerbus on 09-22-2009 at 12:55 PM

It worked!

Thank you so much matty! :D

RE: Status Icons by Spunky on 09-22-2009 at 06:23 PM

quote:
Just add the highlighted line to the function

Javascript code:
function SetIcon (hWnd, nStatus, bIsContactBlocked) {
    var sIcon = MsgPlus.ScriptFilesPath + '\\' + oStatus[nStatus] + (bIsContactBlocked ? '_blocked' : '') + '.ico';
    var hIcon = Interop.Call("shell32", "ExtractIconW", hWnd, sIcon, 0);
    Interop.Call('user32', 'SendMessageW', hWnd, 0x80, 0, hIcon);
    Interop.Call('user32', 'SendMessageW', hWnd, 0x80, 1, hIcon);}

Just out of interest... Did you do that from what I said or did you research it?
RE: Status Icons by matty on 09-22-2009 at 06:33 PM

I forgot to include it originally.

This is straight from Screenshot Sender 5.

Javascript code:
/*
    Name:      SetWndIcon
    Purpose:    Sets the window icon
    Parameters: None
    Return:  None
*/

function SetWndIcon(hWnd) {
    _debug.getfuncname(arguments);
    _win32.SendMessageW(hWnd, 0x80 /* WM_SETICON */, 0 /* ICON_SMALL */, hScriptIcon);
    _win32.SendMessageW(hWnd, 0x80 /* WM_SETICON */, 1 /* ICON_BIG */, hScriptIcon);
}

RE: RE: Status Icons by CookieRevised on 10-06-2009 at 12:00 PM

quote:
Not sure why but I noticed the icon changing back to the WLM default one for  some reason. If anyone else notices this let me know.
This is normal behaviour for WLM 14.x (this wont happen in 8.5). The windows are repainted from time to time and if certain events occur.

Also, but it has been a long time since I worked on that script, in certain situation WLM isn't done painting yet before the script finishes (like with chatwndcreate). So the icon put there by the script simply gets replaced by the default one.

I experienced all that before with the original StatusIcon script (you've reinvented the wheel... but it is rounder now :p). I 'solved' it by using a timer which updates the window icon from time to time. And a non-repeating timer to wait a bit before putting the icon again when the window is created.

;)
RE: Status Icons by pleasehelpme on 11-21-2009 at 07:00 PM

First of all, thank you for taking time out of your own personal schedule to help others. I really appreciate this forum. Again, Thank you!

I tried using the script with WLM 8.1 (hate the new versions-- Currently running ML!P 4.60) using tabbed chats, but it doesn't work.  Works good for when the tabbed chats option is turned off (as stated in the first page of this thread, by matty).  Could anyone please update this script?

Secondly (and of lesser priority), I realized a small (bug?) with the actual icons it uses. Take a look at the posted screenshot for further visual aid. Sometimes, the icons will appear as cute boxes that depict busy as red, away as yellow, and green as available. Other times, it uses the conventional MSN logo for busy, away, etc. Is this supposed to happen randomly or is there a way to choose which icon set to use? I don't mind either, it's just a little irritating when it switches back and forth between them.

RE: Status Icons by Veggie on 11-21-2009 at 07:17 PM

Check what scripts are running, from the looks of that screenshot you are running my version (normal icons) and mattys version (square icons) at the same time

RE: Status Icons by pleasehelpme on 11-21-2009 at 07:23 PM

I have only installed mattys version (3rd post in the 1st page of this thread -- StatusIcon_WLMBeta.plsc). Where can I get yours to give it a try?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/1653/ffdfsfsdf.jpg

EDIT #1:  I was playing around with my other MSN addon (Stuffplug), and found that I had one of the options ticked. Take a look at the screenshot.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2268/ghhfghgh.jpg

So now atleast one of my issues is solved. Neither the matty or stuffplug solution seem to work with tabbed convo's. Any solution around this?

EDIT #2:  After researching further on these forums, I have come across several threads where numerous people desires the said feature. Apparently this is a limitation within scripting and is not possible for tabbed chats.

Thank you for your time

RE: Status Icons by CookieRevised on 11-22-2009 at 02:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pleasehelpme
So now atleast one of my issues is solved. Neither the matty or stuffplug solution seem to work with tabbed convo's. Any solution around this?

EDIT #2:  After researching further on these forums, I have come across several threads where numerous people desires the said feature. Apparently this is a limitation within scripting and is not possible for tabbed chats.
It does work for tabbed chatting! Tabbed chatting does not break those scripts, nor is there any bug.

But there is a big misconception on what such scripts actually do.

It is important to know that such scripts like these are programmed to change the Windows' title bar icon, they do not intentionaly change the taskbar button icon, that is only a side-effect!!! The changing taskbar button icon is only the result of the changing Windows' title bar icon.

As such you must have the title bar of the chat windows visible to see the proper effect of the script. This means you must enable the borders of the window and thus the top menu in conversation windows.

Also, remember that tabbed chatting works in a different way than the conventional chat windows. And hence the taskbar button icon will show a different icon (because of the way tabbed chats work).

See
CookieRevised's reply to [release] Status Icon Version 1.02
and
and
RE: RE: Status Icons by pleasehelpme on 11-22-2009 at 03:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
It does work for tabbed chatting! Tabbed chatting does not break those scripts, nor is there any bug.

Could you please provide screenshots? I am not doubting you, but rather frustrated at being unable to get it to work. I could not for the life of me figure out how to properly work this.

quote:

As such you must have the title bar of the chat windows visible to see the proper effect of the script. This means you must enable the borders of the window and thus the top menu in conversation windows.

Check, and check. After enabling tabs again, and trying your script (v.1.0 -- I could not find the link to 1.02), I see that indeed the icons do change for the 'title bar', at the top of the chat window. This is great, indeed, but unfortunately I was looking for the 'side-effect', making the taskbar icon resemble the status icons. After reading in your other thread about how 'tabs' actually work, with the hidden windows and whatnot, it's understandable that this may not be possible, since Plus! will just assign a default icon to all the tabbed chats in the taskbar, but it will still show the status icons on the title bar.

quote:

Also, remember that tabbed chatting works in a different way than the conventional chat windows. And hence the taskbar button icon will show a different icon (because of the way tabbed chats work).

And Alas! we have come to the end. I think both of us can agree that most users that were looking for this script were interested in the taskbar status icon rather than the title bar, even though this was only a side effect. I was mislead in the  first few lines in this post when you claimed that it "worked for tabbed chatting", but I do not blame you. It is only a limitation within Plus! that the group icon for tabs cannot be changed in the taskbar, to resemble the current status icon for the current open chat.

Thank you for your time
RE: Status Icons by CookieRevised on 11-23-2009 at 02:44 PM

It's very understandable that most people think it is for the taskbar button though. It is indeed it is a bit misleading.

Then again, when you do have tabbed chats enabled, you would only have 1 taskbar button for all the chats anyways. So the usefullness of seeing the status of your contacts by glimpsing the taskbar buttons is already a bit less as you would only be able to see the status of the contact in the current focused chat, and not the statusses of the others.

quote:
Originally posted by pleasehelpme
It is only a limitation within Plus! that the group icon for tabs cannot be changed in the taskbar, to resemble the current status icon for the current open chat.
It is not so much a limitation though because there are ways.

That icon can be changed (by changing the title bar icon of that hidden window used to group the chats, see my other posts), but the problem is that you need something to detect what chat window has the focus, aka on which tab you have pressed because the taskbar button icon must change each time you click on another tab.

For that you need to subclass either the chat windows (to detect when they come in focus) or either the hidden window of Plus! used by tabbed chats (to detect a change in the title of the hidden window which you can then use to derive which chat came in focus). And to do the later you need some other advanced stuff too because you need to detect when tabbed chatting is enabled/disabled.

But unfortunatly it is not possible to subclass with the current scripting engine without the use of an external DLL.

Thus, it is all possible in a way though, it only means a lot of advanced scripting and writing of such an external DLL. And that takes a lot of time and work. Much more than the time and work put into the current 'statusicon' scripts as they are all very basic straithforward and short scripts. Unfortunalty most of the scripters who would be capable of doing something like that are busy with other projects.

;)
RE: RE: Status Icons by pleasehelpme on 11-23-2009 at 03:20 PM

quote:
Then again, when you do have tabbed chats enabled, you would only have 1 taskbar button for all the chats anyways. So the usefullness of seeing the status of your contacts by glimpsing the taskbar buttons is already a bit less as you would only be able to see the status of the contact in the current focused chat, and not the statusses of the others.

I agree. After thinking over this situation for a while, it was obvious that I had to make a sacrifice one way or another, and I decided to un-tab my convo's from now on, so I can use the scripts provided.

quote:
And that takes a lot of time and work. Much more than the time and work put into the current 'statusicon' scripts as they are all very basic straithforward and short scripts. Unfortunalty most of the scripters who would be capable of doing something like that are busy with other projects.

Very understandable, being a Software Engineering student myself, I can imagine what such a workload does to a person...

Finally, I'm just curious if you could upload a version of your latest status icon script (1.02 I believe), with a changelog from 1.0 if possible. Thank you