Shoutbox

Vista Disc Management - Cant enlarge partition size - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Vista Disc Management - Cant enlarge partition size (/showthread.php?tid=87332)

Vista Disc Management - Cant enlarge partition size by Jimbo on 11-18-2008 at 07:26 AM

The other day i shrinked one of my 300GB harddrives into 2 150GBs. Then i decided that i wanted one of them to only be 75GB and the other 225GB so i shirnked one of them. But now i cannot enlarge the other one to make it 225GB :(
Is there anther porgram that can do this for me? or have i just lost 75GB :(

[Image: attachment.php?pid=937712]

RE: Vista Disc Management - Cant enlarge partition size by Vilkku on 11-18-2008 at 07:32 AM

While I'm not entirely sure if it can do what you want, I think it's worth to give GParted a try.

RE: Vista Disc Management - Cant enlarge partition size by Jimbo on 11-18-2008 at 07:37 AM

I dont get gParted. What one do i download? I downloaded the 0.3-9-4 version as a zip vile but i dont get what to do with the files :S

RE: Vista Disc Management - Cant enlarge partition size by Th3rmal on 11-18-2008 at 07:39 AM

did you get it from here?
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?grou...&release_id=625947

RE: Vista Disc Management - Cant enlarge partition size by Vilkku on 11-18-2008 at 07:41 AM

Right, I should have been a bit clearer. Get the GParted Live .iso from there, burn it and boot from it.

RE: Vista Disc Management - Cant enlarge partition size by Jimbo on 11-18-2008 at 07:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
Right, I should have been a bit clearer. Get the GParted Live .iso from there, burn it and boot from it.
Ah that could be a problem at the minute considering that i have no discs to burn to:P Could i virtually mount it and boot from it? or not?
RE: RE: Vista Disc Management - Cant enlarge partition size by Jarrod on 11-18-2008 at 07:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
Ah that could be a problem at the minute considering that i have no discs to burn to:P Could i virtually mount it and boot from it? or not?
not:P

RE: Vista Disc Management - Cant enlarge partition size by segosa on 11-19-2008 at 09:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
The other day i shrinked one of my 300GB harddrives into 2 150GBs. Then i decided that i wanted one of them to only be 75GB and the other 225GB so i shirnked one of them. But now i cannot enlarge the other one to make it 225GB :(
Is there anther porgram that can do this for me? or have i just lost 75GB :(

[Image: attachment.php?pid=937712]

The reason is that partitions can't be split up and have to be sequential. If you look at the picture, the unallocated space is on the far right while the partition you want to resize is in the middle.

The solution is to get GParted (as everyone has said so far) and move the 150GB partition to the end of the disk, then expand it.