Shoutbox

Computer speed problems... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Computer speed problems... (/showthread.php?tid=87460)

Computer speed problems... by blessedguy on 11-25-2008 at 07:10 PM

Well, since last week, my pc started to get slower and slower, don't know why. Any help?
I've already:

• Defragmentaded my discs, all 3
  • Runned virus and spyware/malware scans (nothing suspicious was found by AVG8, Windows Defender, Spybot S and D or Spyware Terminator)
  • Runned CCleaner (and discovered I had about 3GB of "temporary" files... Why in the world do setups go to the temporary files folder, and don't get deleted after the installation is completed?)
  • Using RAMBooster. And although it says I have over 1GB of free RAM, TaskManager says I have exactly 0 Mbs free... all the rest being used by programs (over 700mb) or Cache (Over 1.3GB! Should the RAM cache be that big?
  • Restarded a few times... same thing always
  • Got crazy. I can't put up with it! =O
Please, has anybody got any suggestions?
[Forget about the "Format your HD, won't do it...]
RE: Computer speed problems... by Mike on 11-25-2008 at 07:31 PM

Download Process Explorer and post a list of your running processes.

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
# Using RAMBooster. And although it says I have over 1GB of free RAM, TaskManager says I have exactly 0 Mbs free... all the rest being used by programs (over 700mb) or Cache (Over 1.3GB! Should the RAM cache be that big?

Vista?
Vista (by default) uses SuperFetch which loads your most-used programs into free memory so that they launch faster.
However, if a program needs more RAM, Vista will give it to it.
RE: Computer speed problems... by blessedguy on 11-25-2008 at 07:49 PM

Ok, looking for that "Process Explorer" thingy.
I know SuperFetch does it... but is there anyway do disable it?

Edit
Posting it here:
Process    PID    CPU    Description    Company Name
System Idle Process    0    97.69       
Interrupts    n/a        Hardware Interrupts   
DPCs    n/a        Deferred Procedure Calls   
System    4           
  smss.exe    388           
csrss.exe    456           
wininit.exe    508           
services.exe    564           
  svchost.exe    804           
  nvvsvc.exe    848           
   rundll32.exe    1588           
  svchost.exe    880           
  svchost.exe    912           
  svchost.exe    1016           
   audiodg.exe    1200           
  svchost.exe    1060           
   dwm.exe    1188    0.77    Gerenciador de Janelas da Área de Trabalho    Microsoft Corporation
  svchost.exe    1076           
   taskeng.exe    2056           
   taskeng.exe    3068        Mecanismo do Agendador de Tarefas    Microsoft Corporation
  svchost.exe    1288           
  svchost.exe    1348           
  svchost.exe    1488           
  spoolsv.exe    1752           
  svchost.exe    1776           
  AppleMobileDeviceService.exe    2244           
  avgwdsvc.exe    2264           
   avgrsx.exe    3884           
  mDNSResponder.exe    2280           
  svchost.exe    2296           
  svchost.exe    2392           
  sp_rsser.exe    2572           
  svchost.exe    2796           
  SearchIndexer.exe    2828           
  avgemc.exe    1072           
  iPodService.exe    1940           
  SLsvc.exe    4136           
lsass.exe    576           
lsm.exe    584           
csrss.exe    520           
winlogon.exe    696           
explorer.exe    1464    0.77    Windows Explorer    Microsoft Corporation
MSASCui.exe    1396        Windows Defender User Interface    Microsoft Corporation
SpywareTerminatorShield.Exe    1964        Spyware Terminator Realtime Shield    Crawler.com
avgtray.exe    1632        AVG Tray Monitor    AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o.
iTunesHelper.exe    1660        iTunesHelper Module    Apple Inc.
RocketDock.exe    2020           
ObjectDock.exe    1140        ObjectDock    Stardock
  firefox.exe    4076        Firefox    Mozilla Corporation
Rambooster.exe    5388        RamBooster    J.Pajula
procexp.exe    5436    0.77    Sysinternals Process Explorer    Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

(bit confusing at text mode... want screenshots?)

RE: Computer speed problems... by Jesus on 11-25-2008 at 07:57 PM

quote:
I know SuperFetch does it... but is there anyway do disable it?
why would you want that?
The regions in memory SuperFetch writes to are overwritten when needed, so it shouldn't be noticably slowing your computer down.
RE: Computer speed problems... by blessedguy on 11-25-2008 at 08:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
why would you want that?
The regions in memory SuperFetch writes to are overwritten when needed, so it shouldn't be noticably slowing your computer down.
To see if it makes any difference...
RE: Computer speed problems... by Jesus on 11-25-2008 at 08:07 PM

quote:
that makes sense ;)
clicky
RE: Computer speed problems... by blessedguy on 11-25-2008 at 08:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
quote:
that makes sense ;)
clicky
Thanks! Will test...
[Offtopic] Loved this site... www.letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=
Although that also says "Hey, lazy one. Is it too dificult to type google and press ctrl+enter?"

Edit

It's faster now... although still "lagging", but rarely now. Programs are lauching in the same speed... what does Superfetch recognize as "Frequently used"? The ones I open more oftenly (Rganaroks (bRO and iRO); iTunes; Windows Live Mail and Messenger) are opening as normal as before!
Also noticed startups are faster...

(and... My HD finally stopped to be that loudy thingy! =O Really... does superfetch work? Now finally "free memory" stays free for a long time, and cache stoped going crazy...)
RE: Computer speed problems... by Chancer on 11-26-2008 at 05:58 PM

Why the hell you use so many anti-viruses/spywares/etc? :|
That's 99% the reason.

I recommend you to download Kaspersky and look for those promotions of 3, 6 months, a year, if you don't want to download a pirate key buy it.
Just to be sure about that 1%, try disabling all those softwares and see what happens. Finish the processes if needed.

RE: Computer speed problems... by blessedguy on 11-26-2008 at 07:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chancer
Why the hell you use so many anti-viruses/spywares/etc? :|
That's 99% the reason.
One word: fear

quote:
I recommend you to download Kaspersky and look for those promotions of 3, 6 months, a year, if you don't want to download a pirate key buy it.
Just to be sure about that 1%, try disabling all those softwares and see what happens. Finish the processes if needed.
Will try it. Thanks ;)
Had no problems turning them off... Except for the "Are you sure you want to keep your PC unprotected?" dialogues.
[Geez... 6Kb/sec download speed? I downloaded a song with 124kb/s speed about 5mins ago! =O Anyone there knows if Kaspersky is downloaded so slowly? =/]
RE: Computer speed problems... by Chancer on 11-26-2008 at 09:30 PM

Depends on where you're downloading. But, turning everything off solved your problem?

RE: Computer speed problems... by blessedguy on 11-26-2008 at 10:52 PM

quote:
Depends on where you're downloading. But, turning everything off solved your problem?
They just gave me one option... and it surely isn't my connection: I rarely get low speeds...
Oh, and not really. Kaspersky didn't find anything suspicious, as I thought.
Can it be dust inside the (=O Just now I had to forgot the word... Chancer, you speak portuguese, don't you? So, "Gabinete" seria o que em Inglês?)... that thing where the motherboard and all that stuff stays?
... (I hate forgetting names =X)
Disk isn't fragmentaded, and there are no files in the "Temporary Files" folder... at least untill 10minutes ago, when it was cleaned =P What would that 1% be?
RE: Computer speed problems... by Voldemort on 11-26-2008 at 11:26 PM

quote:
Can it be dust inside the (=O Just now I had to forgot the word... Chancer, you speak portuguese, don't you? So, "Gabinete" seria o que em Inglês?)... that thing where the motherboard and all that stuff stays?

computer case?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_case
RE: Computer speed problems... by Jesus on 11-26-2008 at 11:27 PM

quote:
Case...:P
and yes, it could be that, but only if your cpu (or sometimes some other component) is getting too hot because of the dust.
RE: Computer speed problems... by Chancer on 11-27-2008 at 12:23 AM

Yes, gabinete = case. As Jesus said, check your temperatures.

What OS are you running, and what are your specs?

RE: Computer speed problems... by Adeptus on 11-27-2008 at 07:43 AM

quote:
Well, since last week, my pc started to get slower and slower, don't know why.
Speed is relative and your computer does more than one thing.  What exactly is slow?  Try to answer that, with some possible answers being the startup time, opening all programs, using programs (non-Internet related, e.g. Word), using programs which access the Internet.

Next, open Task Manager (Alt-Ctrl-Delete or right click the task bar) and go to the Performance tab.  I am looking at XP at the moment, Vista may be a little different.  It's the tab with the CPU usage graphs and statistics.  Without any CPU-intensive programs open (you can leave various background things running, like Messenger), it should show a spike where you opened it, but stay fluctuating between 0 and less than 10% as you watch it over time. 

If it stays high or frequently spikes to 50% or more,  switch to the Processes tab, tick "Show processes from all users" box, and watch the list, specifically the CPU usage column.  Normally it will show 95+% going to the "System Idle Process", with zeros across the board briefly turning into occasional low numbers, as various processes running in the background do things.  If anything is using lots of your CPU, this is where you would usually see what.
quote:
Why the hell you use so many anti-viruses/spywares/etc?
While you can have more than one passive scanner software installed, be aware that antivirus and anti-spyware programs that perform any kind of "active monitoring" usually don't play well together, and that's most of them these days.  You should aim to have only one of those.  This could be your problem.
quote:
6Kb/sec download speed?
If your "slowness" isn't your computer but actually your Internet connection, that will probably be something you will have to take up with your ISP.
RE: Computer speed problems... by blessedguy on 11-27-2008 at 04:30 PM

Well, answearing to all:

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
computer case?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_case

Yes. And I sure wouldn't use wikipedia to find a word that I don't remember. =P
quote:
Yes, gabinete = case. As Jesus said, check your temperatures.

What OS are you running, and what are your specs?
To check temperature, is there a program or have to go to BIOS?

Windows Vista Ultimate, 32Bit
6.0.6000 Multiprocessor Free

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz (no Overclock)

2046Mb RAM

One hard drive, 3 Partitions:
C: [NTFS] 50,000Mb Total, 19,357Mb Free (System)
D: [NTFS] 90,000Mb Total, 74,060Mb Free (Files)
E: [NTFS] 98,473Mb Total, 89,101Mb Free (Games)

nVidia GeForce 8500GT
1279Mb Total Video Memory
512Mb Dedicated Video Memory
767Mb Shared by System

Need any more info?
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Speed is relative and your computer does more than one thing.  What exactly is slow?  Try to answer that, with some possible answers being the startup time, opening all programs, using programs (non-Internet related, e.g. Word), using programs which access the Internet.

In comparing my current speed with my old speed. Somethings are about 5x sower, while someotherthings are still the same.
Games are running pretty slowly, doesn't matter if they acess or not the internet.
Videos are slower sometimes. .wmv, .qqt or .mp4 and DVDs are running as before, but RealMedia formats are a bit slower, making audio stop for a really little while so that it is synced again with video (this happens about 1 time at each 2 minutes.)

YouTube is the weirdest of all: when the video hasn't been completed loaded, it almost doesn't play, no matter if 1% or 99.9% is loaded already. But if has been completely loaded, plays normally. Also, if I try to open more than one video at a time, the WebBrowser crashes. (Safari 3.2.1, Firefox 3, Firefox 2, Opera and IE7).

Office stuff open normally, but when typing in Word, for example, it seems to stop working sometimes, but starts working again, like if nothing had happened. (e.g., I'm writing a paragraph. In the middle of the paragraph, Word "stop working", but if I continue to type, everything will be there when it gets ok again, that's like about 2secs after that "stop")
quote:
Next, open Task Manager (Alt-Ctrl-Delete or right click the task bar) and go to the Performance tab.  I am looking at XP at the moment, Vista may be a little different.  It's the tab with the CPU usage graphs and statistics.  Without any CPU-intensive programs open (you can leave various background things running, like Messenger), it should show a spike where you opened it, but stay fluctuating between 0 and less than 10% as you watch it over time. 

If it stays high or frequently spikes to 50% or more,  switch to the Processes tab, tick "Show processes from all users" box, and watch the list, specifically the CPU usage column.  Normally it will show 95+% going to the "System Idle Process", with zeros across the board briefly turning into occasional low numbers, as various processes running in the background do things.  If anything is using lots of your CPU, this is where you would usually see what.
The peaks don't even reach 40% when I open a program, even games. CPU usage stays between 7%~0% when using iTunes+Safari+Firefox 3+Word+Messenger+Live Mail+System.
"System Idle Time" varies from 94% to 98%, going to 80%~60% when opening a program. I think it is normal, isn't it?

I'm still thinking of the possibility with something wrong with the RAM memory... I remeber having the same problems when I had 256Mb RAM on my old XP.
quote:
quote:
6Kb/sec download speed?
If your "slowness" isn't your computer but actually your Internet connection, that will probably be something you will have to take up with your ISP.

In fact, I called my ISP, and discovered they were with some problems at that time. They've already solved it.

RE: Computer speed problems... by Chancer on 11-27-2008 at 05:35 PM

A few programs [url=http://www.google.com.br/search?q=cpu+temp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:pt-BR:official&client=firefox-a]here[/url].
If you're having problems with videos and games, check if the video card is clean too.

You said you have a lot of anti-viruses, and now, many browsers. I may be wrong, but I bet you also have installed a lot of different programs with the same function. You may consider choosing your preferred and uninstall the others. Your Windows' registry can be kinda messed with all those apps.

RE: Computer speed problems... by blessedguy on 11-27-2008 at 06:27 PM

quote:
A few programs [url=http://www.google.com.br/search?q=cpu+temp&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:pt-BR:official&client=firefox-a]here[/url].
If you're having problems with videos and games, check if the video card is clean too.

You said you have a lot of anti-viruses, and now, many browsers. I may be wrong, but I bet you also have installed a lot of different programs with the same function. You may consider choosing your preferred and uninstall the others. Your Windows' registry can be kinda messed with all those apps.
Well, I used to run a website, then I'd test it with some ones...
Will uninstall some programs, leet's see if it gets better =)

Temperature:
Core#1: 42ºC~45ºC
Core#2: 42ºC~44ºC
RE: Computer speed problems... by Chancer on 11-27-2008 at 06:52 PM

Temps seems to be fine. I have no other ideas about what may be causing that laziness...

RE: Computer speed problems... by blessedguy on 11-27-2008 at 07:47 PM

Neither do I =X
That's why I'm worried