Shoutbox

ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA (/showthread.php?tid=87480)

ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by MNeMoNiCuZ on 11-26-2008 at 05:38 PM

Question:

Since the Windows Live Messenger 9.0 BETA, it's "forbidden", to send ZIP and RAR files through MSN (without renaming their extension), is there a fix for this? I've used an "allow all extensions script" earlier for Plus! is there such a script for WLM 9.0 yet?

Thanks in advance,
MNeMoNiCuZ (yes, the smiley dude!)

RE: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by Sunshine on 11-26-2008 at 05:46 PM

Make sure you uncheck "Automatically reject file transfers for known unsafe file types" in Tools > Options > File Transfer. Also make sure you have a virusscanner set there.

RE: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by MNeMoNiCuZ on 11-26-2008 at 06:30 PM

Yeah, I can chose an antivirus program, then I can send/recieve such files, but that's a workaround. If it's possible, I'm looking for a solution without involving any antivirus software or scanners.

RE: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by Menthix on 11-26-2008 at 06:34 PM

Download Dud and configure Messenger to use that as virusscanner. Dud will do nothing exscept killing itself when it's launched.

It's still a workaround, but it works. Have been doing it like that for a long time :).

RE: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by MNeMoNiCuZ on 11-26-2008 at 09:41 PM

Thanks for the info, it works, but it's still a work around.
I recommend it for people but I'm still looking for a permanent/invisible solution.

RE: RE: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by djdannyp on 11-26-2008 at 10:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MNeMoNiCuZ
Thanks for the info, it works, but it's still a work around.
I recommend it for people but I'm still looking for a permanent/invisible solution.

I think the things suggested are about as close as you'll get to a permanent/invisible solution.

The transfer of Zip/RAR/Exe files is restricted because they are one of the easiest forms of virus deployment, so it is in your own interests to have a virus scanner set up to check them.

You should have a virus scanner installed on your computer anyway if it's on the internet, so just set that to scan your files and you'll have no problems.

Scanning is a lot quicker on WLM 9 than it ever seemed to be on older incarnations so it's not much of an inconvenience when it's for your own protection
RE: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by Menthix on 11-26-2008 at 10:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
You should have a virus scanner installed on your computer anyway if it's on the internet, so just set that to scan your files and you'll have no problems.
However, most modern virusscanners these days a by default configured to scan files on-access. There's no need to configure my virusscanner inside Messenger, it will only result in the same file being scanned twice.
RE: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by MNeMoNiCuZ on 11-27-2008 at 07:27 AM

That is also true, and the fact that even though you have a virus scanner, when you try to send a "dangerous file", it will still give you an annoying popup saying:

"This file is potentially dangerous, are you sure you want to send it?"

And djdannyp, yeah I know it's good to have antiviral software, I do have it, but it's silent and runs all accessed/modified executable files constantly. I'm very cautious when it comes to these things, but I want the workflow to be as fluid as possible.

That's why I'm still looking for that old script, I just forgot where I found it. But I think it was a Plus! script.

RE: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by RaceProUK on 11-27-2008 at 08:44 PM

quote:
it's "forbidden", to send ZIP and RAR files through MSN
Try 7-Zip's 7z format; I don't think messenger blocks it yet. Plus it zips better than Windows ZIP (and sometimes RAR).
RE: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by MNeMoNiCuZ on 12-01-2008 at 06:02 PM

Yeah, that's good and all, but I need it for RAR/ZIP as those are most common and the compressors for them are faster than 7z compressors.

RE: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by RaceProUK on 12-03-2008 at 04:59 PM

7-zip handles RAR and ZIP, and in my experience, consistently outpaces them both.

RE: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by Voldemort on 12-03-2008 at 05:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
7-zip handles RAR and ZIP, and in my experience, consistently outpaces them both.
i disagree, i've had lots of trouble with 7zip and large rars and zips... (specially over 18 gb, long story.)
RE: RE: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by djdannyp on 12-03-2008 at 05:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
quote:
Originally posted by RaceProUK
i disagree, i've had lots of trouble with 7zip and large rars and zips... (specially over 18 gb, long story.)

i doubt many people are sending 18gb rars/zips over msn tho :P

still the best solution to the problem is to just let msn use your virus scanner to check the files (regardless of if it's on-access or not).....it takes a fraction of a second to actually scan, it keeps msn happy and it gets your files transferred....what's the ho-ha?
RE: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by MNeMoNiCuZ on 01-13-2009 at 09:35 PM

The ho-ha is to be forced to use something which you shouldn't HAVE to use.

Also, I use a file browser replacement from Windows Explorer, which has a built in ZIP-compression algorithm, which outdoes both RAR, 7Z and all other format's I've tried. And it does it in both speed AND size, which is kind of weird. 7Z is slower than RAR but better compressed usually. But with this, .zip-files are #1 :o|

RE: RE: ZIP & RAR file block WLM 9 BETA by djdannyp on 01-13-2009 at 10:28 PM

quote:
The ho-ha is to be forced to use something which you shouldn't HAVE to use.

Also, I use a file browser replacement from Windows Explorer, which has a built in ZIP-compression algorithm, which outdoes both RAR, 7Z and all other format's I've tried. And it does it in both speed AND size, which is kind of weird. 7Z is slower than RAR but better compressed usually. But with this, .zip-files are #1 :o|

The fact remains that setting your anti-virus software to scan attachments via messenger slows nothing down and will allow you to send zip files over messenger to your heart's content.

so you can protest all you like on a matter of principle, but it won't help you sending/receiving zip files over messenger

or you could take the easy option and let messenger use your virus scanner and then not have a problem