Shoutbox

"Virus found" message during installation - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: "Virus found" message during installation (/showthread.php?tid=87495)

"Virus found" message during installation by hkBattousai on 11-27-2008 at 06:58 PM

[Image: virusid9.jpg]

I downloaded and tried to install new WLM 2009 beta compitable version one hour ago. During installation my anti-virus software (Up-to-date Kapersky) gave this warning message. The message says that "C:\Program Files\Circle Development\uninstall.exe" is a virus. Indeed that directory contains nothing but that "uninstall.exe" file, and is very suspicious.

I didn't suspect Messenger Plus for that virus warning at that time. When I opened WLM, there was no change, I didn't see any of the Messenger Plus features or buttons on the window. I was about to report this by opening a topic like "No change after installation", but decided to give it a try once more before doing that. (Note that, I did my other jobs during this one hour period, but didn't have any virus activity reported). During my second installation attempt, I received this same virus warning window, and I suspect Messenger Plus now.

Is there an explanation for this issue? Can this be doing of the sponsor program (I selected to install it during installation)?

RE: "Virus found" message during installation by matty on 11-27-2008 at 07:36 PM

Where did you download Messenger Plus! Live from? Some anti-viruses detect Messenger Plus!'s optional sponsor program as a virus when it infact is not.

RE: "Virus found" message during installation by hkBattousai on 11-27-2008 at 07:49 PM

Downloaded it from here, its official website.

WLM Version:
[Image: versiondr7.jpg]

Messenger Plus version: 4.70.334

The page where I downloaded Messenger Plus from:
http://www.msgpluslive.net/download/

I have also tried not installing sponsor program. Still there's no change. This is also another problem.

RE: "Virus found" message during installation by blessedguy on 11-27-2008 at 08:32 PM

If you don't install the version 4.79 of plus!, it won't work on WLM9 ;)
Here

RE: RE: "Virus found" message during installation by hkBattousai on 11-27-2008 at 08:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
Here
Oh my bad, I don't believe that I installed the wrong version... :$:P
It works now, thank you. :)

But that virus issue must be solved.
Even the name of the trojan is clearly stated by the anti-virus software.
RE: "Virus found" message during installation by Thor on 11-27-2008 at 09:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hkBattousai
quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
Here
Oh my bad, I don't believe that I installed the wrong version... :$:P
It works now, thank you. :)

But that virus issue must be solved.
The easy way out would be to not installed the sponsor program (which is just adware, not a trojan).
:)
RE: "Virus found" message during installation by matty on 11-27-2008 at 09:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hkBattousai
Each anti virus will give it their own name. Unless it is a widespread one then they call it usually the same. It isn't a virus or trojan. No need to be worried. The sponsor is developed by Circle Dev but is completly stripped down unlike a lot of spyware and such.
RE: "Virus found" message during installation by michaeljob on 01-10-2009 at 01:00 AM

I installed today and this is what I got

http://cid-f9d3dfbda87e3260.skydrive.live.com/sel...x/Public/C2Lop.jpg

RE: "Virus found" message during installation by Spunky on 01-10-2009 at 01:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by michaeljob
I installed today and this is what I got

http://cid-f9d3dfbda87e3260.skydrive.live.com/sel...x/Public/C2Lop.jpg

Great... Did you actually read the thread?