Shoutbox

Car Audio System - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Car Audio System (/showthread.php?tid=87536)

Car Audio System by Eddie on 11-30-2008 at 09:02 AM

Hello folks,

To all of you that own a car i need some advice, i'm looking to buy a few things for my car in terms of Audio, i currently own a Hyundai Getz 2005, i'm looking to buy a new CD Tuner for my car with simple AUX and CD/MP3 playback, and im also looking into a 10" subwoofer, any suggestions? All Aussie Please :)

RE: Car Audio System by andrewdodd13 on 11-30-2008 at 01:15 PM

I have a Sony GT44IP. It cost me £130 last year, and was half price at the time. You can probably pick them up for like £70 now. It has Aux input and MP3 CD but also has an iPod cable which sticks out the back, you can plug an iPod in and control it from the fascia. It also has a remote control, for no good reason tbh.

As for subwoofers, no idea. Don't have one.

Do you know what you're doing? If you don't remember you'll also possibly need a fascia adapter and wire harness. For the subwoofer you'll need to run power cabling from the front of the car to the back. Etc, etc... :)

RE: Car Audio System by Phillip on 11-30-2008 at 02:07 PM

Best thing to do it go down to a few different shops and take a look. They usually have alot of different equipment on display so you can check it out yourself.

RE: Car Audio System by haydos on 11-30-2008 at 04:33 PM

I take it you'll be getting new speakers too? You have a Getz. Don't even bother with a sub woofer. Not worth it and anyone who puts a sub in a Getz or Excel or something is a goose. Just get some nice 6x9 speakers in the back and they'll produce enough bass.

I rate JB Hi Fi for car audio. They have a lot of stuff there just go in and have a look what catches your eye out of those that meet your requirements. They also have good prices.

Before you head in, think about whether or not you'll want a front Aux. Some are at the back or side, and generally that means you'll need to leave your cord in there 24/7 so if you need it for other things it could be a pain.

RE: Car Audio System by Eddie on 11-30-2008 at 05:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by haydos
I take it you'll be getting new speakers too? You have a Getz. Don't even bother with a sub woofer. Not worth it and anyone who puts a sub in a Getz or Excel or something is a goose. Just get some nice 6x9 speakers in the back and they'll produce enough bass.

I rate JB Hi Fi for car audio. They have a lot of stuff there just go in and have a look what catches your eye out of those that meet your requirements. They also have good prices.

Before you head in, think about whether or not you'll want a front Aux. Some are at the back or side, and generally that means you'll need to leave your cord in there 24/7 so if you need it for other things it could be a pain.
Would only ever want a AUX Cord for my iPod, and i plan to get one with a front jack. I will look into the speakers i suppose, thanks for the suggestions.

On another note i was looking into getting speakers as well, but i do have sort of a budget, and im not at all sure how to do any of it myself so will have to pay someone to put it all in.
RE: Car Audio System by Voldemort on 12-01-2008 at 01:40 AM

why exactly do you want to change the audio system?

RE: Car Audio System by Jarrod on 12-01-2008 at 08:22 AM

i like jaycar or frankie's auto electrics (but frankies may just be local im not sure) but you can't have a good car without an after market stereo:P

RE: RE: Car Audio System by Phillip on 12-01-2008 at 08:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
So it sounds better. Easier to listen to songs straight from your mp3 player than having to burn them to a CD everytime. Because he can.

As I have said. You are much better off going to a few places and checking them out yourself. We have dozens of local car audio stores around here. The people at Strathfeild always had good deals and were willing to help you out.
RE: Car Audio System by Eddie on 12-01-2008 at 02:37 PM

Yeah i am going to go into Audiocom and JB Hi-Fi, i heard some bad stories about stratfield unfortunately.

RE: Car Audio System by Voldemort on 12-01-2008 at 10:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
So it sounds better. Easier to listen to songs straight from your mp3 player than having to burn them to a CD everytime. Because he can.

why don't you let him tell us that?!
RE: Car Audio System by Eddie on 12-05-2008 at 02:09 PM

quote:

Hello Haydos, went into a few audio car system shops, they were completely useless. I have considered 6x9's but my car doesn't have back speakers to replace, so could you please elaborate on your suggestion?
RE: Car Audio System by toddy on 12-05-2008 at 04:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
quote:

Hello Haydos, went into a few audio car system shops, they were completely useless. I have considered 6x9's but my car doesn't have back speakers to replace, so could you please elaborate on your suggestion?
you don't need a parcel shelf for 6x9, you can fix them anyway they'll go. i installed mine in the side walls of the boot. however if you don't like modding thing yourself to much, then take out the existing speakers, measure them up and then buy replacements that are the same size. even a set of fairly cheap speakers will be better then what you have already.
if you're not planning to replacing the speakers, then there's not much point in replacing the headunit
RE: Car Audio System by haydos on 12-05-2008 at 04:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie

Oh right, I didn't think about that for a Getz - the back 'dash' you can't install anything in. :undecided:

Did you really want back speakers? Or will you just rely on the front ones? Apparently Getz stock speakers (most car stock speakers really) are nothing special. I'd suggest just putting some nice speakers in the doors. Before you go to buy them check if the stocks are 6x6 or 6x9 then go have a look what you can buy.

If you're keen on sound quality you should even go for splits in the doors. It's likely you'll need to do a tiny bit of modification but nothing that can't be fixed without some plywood and a jigsaw to make housings for it!

I see you're in Perth, I'd suggest the JB Hi-Fi on Scarb Beach rd if it's anywhere near you. I've been there quite a few times for me and mates and the sound system staff are extremely knowledgable (because most of them also install systems). If you don't have a mate who'll do it for you the staff there will generally be happy to install it for you (I was quoted $80 to have front speakers and CD tuner but didn't need them to do it).

RE: Car Audio System by Eddie on 12-06-2008 at 01:07 PM

Well im getting door speakers put in and a new cd tuner, will see how that works out before i move onto getting back speakers. Thanks for the advice, i will contact you in the future with anything else :)

RE: Car Audio System by lizard.boy on 12-06-2008 at 04:34 PM

You can probably do without the sub in the back of such a tiny car.

You may want to consider a set of decent 6x9 speakers in speaker boxes which would take up about half the space a 10" sub box would take. If you still want your storage space just install them in the sides of the car.

The trick to installing them in the side of the car is most speakers will give a better response when you have the correct amount of air behind them, if you're just sticking them in the body work you may get less base or muddy sound.