Shoutbox

backup program - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: backup program (/showthread.php?tid=87664)

backup program by toddy on 12-09-2008 at 01:36 PM

anyone know of a good (freeware) back up program, that will automatically back up selected folders every week, on a (selectable) set bases. by that i mean, 1st week back up goes to "1st folder", 2nd weeks go into "2nd folder" and so on. til let say you want 4 copies, so 5th week back up would replace "1st folder" 6th week into "2nd folder"

i expected it to be easier to find, but having no luck.

or am i just going to have to go with a weekly back up, then pop round every couple of months to delete the un-needed back ups

RE: backup program by Menthix on 12-09-2008 at 01:43 PM

I use SyncBackSE, which is very flexible. SyncBackSE is paid ($30USD), but there's a freeware version too with less functionality, and you can trial the full version for 30 days.

RE: backup program by toddy on 12-09-2008 at 02:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
I use SyncBackSE, which is very flexible. SyncBackSE is paid ($30USD), but there's a freeware version too with less functionality, and you can trial the full version for 30 days.
cool, not for my pc, so mite actually get bought for once

on a side note:

anyone every seen or know how to fix this weird problem.
when every i click my computer, it takes around 2/3 minutes to load (showing the rolling torch on the folder icon, over and over again) yet my documents, control panel, network place e.g. all load straight away
RE: backup program by foaly on 12-09-2008 at 03:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
on a side note:

when every i click my computer, it takes around 2/3 minutes to load (showing the rolling torch on the folder icon, over and over again) yet my documents, control panel, network place e.g. all load straight away

You have any usb devices attached or cd/dvds in a drive?
RE: backup program by toddy on 12-09-2008 at 03:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
quote:
on a side note:

You have any usb devices attached or cd/dvds in a drive?
had a external harddrive attached by usb, but it hasn't effected the other 2 laptops

edit:
still takes 2/3 mins when nothing is attached
RE: backup program by Adeptus on 12-11-2008 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Almost every time I've seen that happening it was caused by a mapped network drive that was unavailable, for whatever reason.  Another one was floppy drive being enabled in the BIOS setup, but not actually present in the computer.

Simply put, once "My Computer" opens, look for drive letters associated with anything that isn't working or doesn't contain media (e.g. flash card readers).  Try to remove or disable those things.  It will probably turn out to be something like that.