Shoutbox

How to enable polygamy in Windows Live Messenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: How to enable polygamy in Windows Live Messenger (/showthread.php?tid=87803)

How to enable polygamy in Windows Live Messenger by Sunshine on 12-17-2008 at 04:58 PM

I just posted this on Liveside:
How to enable polygamy in windows Live Messenger.

I'll share a summary with you guys here too.

1. Start regedit (admin)
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live
3. Right click Messenger and create a new DWORD called MultipleInstances
4. Right click the newly added registry key and choose Modify
5. Set the Value data to 1
6. Close regedit

All done! Now you can launch Windows Live Messenger as many times as you want, and sign in with as many WLIDs you want, on one computer. Just don’t try to sign in with the same WLID more than once on one computer or it will throw error 80071392 at you!

For the full post including images (if still unclear those might help) please visit LiveSide.

RE: How to enable polygamy in Windows Live Messenger by Menthix on 12-17-2008 at 05:00 PM

Interesting... no more need to patch anything. Is this new on the latest 2009 build, or have they been keeping this secret for several versions?

RE: How to enable polygamy in Windows Live Messenger by Sunshine on 12-17-2008 at 05:12 PM

Probably new on the latest, not sure.

I did test this too and it works fine, it doesnt conflict with Plus! polygamy either (which still works with the new build). Display email in tooltip works too.

And you can talk to yourself again for testing purposes as well! Sign into two accounts and talk from one to the other.

RE: RE: How to enable polygamy in Windows Live Messenger by djdannyp on 12-17-2008 at 05:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
And you can talk to yourself again for testing purposes as well! Sign into two accounts and talk from one to the other.

I'm glad they've bought that back....it's very, very useful!