Shoutbox

Need to claim money back with PayPal - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Need to claim money back with PayPal (/showthread.php?tid=87805)

Need to claim money back with PayPal by Jimbo on 12-17-2008 at 07:20 PM

I recently purchased some MS points using my dad's debit card and did it through a paypal transaction. He has not emailed me the code which he claimed to send within 4 hours. It has now been 26 hours.
Apparently i cannot claim with paypal unless i have an account, which i do but i didnt use it to make this transaction. Should i get my dad to claim it back with his debit card company? or is there a way to claim it back via paypal?

RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Voldemort on 12-17-2008 at 07:28 PM

you can claim back money with paypal only if you bought it with paypal, its common sense....

don't get your hopes up though, claiming money back is not that simple

RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Menthix on 12-17-2008 at 07:34 PM

I would try contacting Microsoft Support first. You have paid something and you can prove it, so Microsoft should be able to send you a prepaid code (which can be redeemed on any account), or refund the money.

From where exactly did you buy? There should by some kind of support link on that site.

Canceling transactions either trough your creditcard company or trough PayPal is really a last resort.

RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Voldemort on 12-17-2008 at 07:39 PM

I *think* he did it through ebay or someone else, as he refers to the seller as "he".

RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Jimbo on 12-17-2008 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
I *think* he did it through ebay or someone else, as he refers to the seller as "he".
Yes it was through an ebay classified ad which has now been removed from ebay for some reason. His home site which is very limited as its being developed apparently is http://www.luisales.co.uk/.
I just assumed that as it was an ebay ad, it was going to be reliable. On the comments on his website, some people recieve the code within 30 mins, others have been waiting for hours, like me. (Btw, the person who left comments called James, is me)
If i have the paypal receipt still, could i do what MenthiX said and contact microsoft customer support? or would they just laugh at me?
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by vaccination on 12-17-2008 at 07:44 PM

Don't buy things off dodgy people.

Microsoft have nothing to do with it, they can't help you

RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Voldemort on 12-17-2008 at 07:44 PM

i think they won't honour it, as that can be easily faked, but it doesn't hurt to try (is that even legal or according to MS's TOS?)

RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Jimbo on 12-17-2008 at 07:46 PM

quote:
i think they won't honour it, as that can be easily faked, but it doesn't hurt to try (is that even legal or according to MS's TOS?)
Umm, i dont know. Many people sell them on ebay, wouldnt ebay take it off if it wasnt legal?
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Nathan on 12-17-2008 at 07:48 PM

Wait 48 hours before you do anything drastic. I was reading through the comments, and it could well be legit, and that he has a job. People said "it's been 14 hours and nothing", but they must have got them in the end otherwise they would of kept coming back and complaining and even warned everyone not to because they never got them.

Be patient dude.

RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Jimbo on 12-17-2008 at 07:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Wait 48 hours before you do anything drastic. I was reading through the comments, and it could well be legit, and that he has a job. People said "it's been 14 hours and nothing", but they must have got them in the end otherwise they would of kept coming back and complaining and even warned everyone not to because they never got them.

Be patient dude.
Thanks, but i mean, even if he does work, wouldnt he just email me saying he is really busy at the moment and will message me in _ hours or something.  I've emailed him 4 times now and havent got a response once.
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Voldemort on 12-17-2008 at 07:51 PM

the last ebay feedback he has is nov 13
haha

RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Jimbo on 12-17-2008 at 07:52 PM

quote:
haha
Yeh that was his old account that got banned apparently.
RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-17-2008 at 07:58 PM

quote:
you can claim back money with paypal only if you bought it with paypal, its common sense....

He did buy it with paypal. You dont have to have an account to pay with a credit card through paypal. Paypal acts as the third party so you dont have to give your card details to a site or anything.

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
quote:
Umm, i dont know. Many people sell them on ebay, wouldnt ebay take it off if it wasnt legal?

You are allowed to sell MS points etc etc on ebay. It was a bad idea you didnt do it through ebay now you are covered by no one. If you did it through ebay you would of had a chance of getting your money back, ebay contacts him, ebay gives a strike against him for not giving you the item. I understand you paid for the item through paypal with a creditcard without actually signing up. Big mistake you should sign up when making payments, because then you can open a non receipt dispute and get paypal to investigate, seller has to provide postage tracking etc.

Even though you did use paypal as the third party to pay for the item, which was good because then you did not have to give your card details to the site, you are not covered under paypals buyer complaint policy :(

Like Nathan said, wait 48 hours, he could be at work or dead! :P
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Jimbo on 12-17-2008 at 07:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
quote:

He did buy it with paypal. You dont have to have an account to pay with a credit card through paypal. Paypal acts as the third party.

quote:
quote:

You are allowed to sell MS points etc etc on ebay. It was a bad idea you didnt do it through ebay now you are covered by no one. If you did it through ebay you would of had a chance of getting your money back, ebay contacts him, ebay gives a strike against him for not giving you the item. I understand you paid for the item through paypal with a creditcard without actually signing up. Big mistake you should sign up when making payments, because then you can open a non receipt dispute and get paypal to investigate, seller has to provide postage tracking etc.

Even though you did use paypal as the third party to pay for the item, which was good because then you did not have to give your card details to the site, you are not covered under paypals buyer complaint policy :(
So theres nothing i can do if he doesnt send me the code as my mum says that it isnt easy to claim money back with a debit card?
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by toddy on 12-17-2008 at 08:02 PM

topcatwarrior ( 689 ) Not a registered user

RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Menthix on 12-17-2008 at 08:04 PM

quote:
ebay classified ad which has now been removed from ebay for some reason.
quote:
could i do what MenthiX said and contact microsoft customer support?
Not if you didn't buy from Microsoft like you said. Microsoft has nothing to do with this.

quote:
an ebay classified ad which has now been removed from ebay for some reason.
Probably because other people complained to eBay about not receiving anything in time either.

quote:
I just assumed that as it was an ebay ad, it was going to be reliable.
Never assume anything is safe because it is eBay. eBay doesn't guarantee any form of reliability, it is still a sale directly between you and some random stranger. Always check for recent feedback of the seller, pay extra attention to any negative feedback... someone with 98% positive feedback can still be scamming you... especially if a scammer is using a hacked eBay account (worst case scenario).

I'd do what Nathan suggested and wait some extra time, the seller might just be without internet unexpectedly. If you are indeed being scammed you must wait anyway, to give the seller a reasonable time to respond before you can cancel any transaction.
RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-17-2008 at 08:04 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

He did buy it with paypal. You dont have to have an account to pay with a credit card through paypal. Paypal acts as the third party.

quote:
quote:

So theres nothing i can do if he doesnt send me the code as my mum says that it isnt easy to claim money back with a debit card?

The only thing would be to contact your card company. Ebay advises all members not to do transactions outside. If you had done this through ebay and paypal you would be covered.

Oh and one more thing for the future. It is against ebay and paypals rules to send MS point codes etc over e-mail. A card must be sent to you with it on it. All listings that say will be sent over e-mail generally get deleted. Thats why his classified probs got deleted. Also if it gets sent over e-mail to you, you could scam him by opening a dispute on paypal because he didnt send a card to you and get your money back :P
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by vaccination on 12-17-2008 at 08:17 PM

quote:
quote:
haha
Seriously? And you still bought something from him?

RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-17-2008 at 08:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
quote:
haha

Yeh, never buy from someone who has previously been banend :P
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by toddy on 12-17-2008 at 08:31 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
haha

even the first 2 pages (i cba looking any further) on his own privately owned website are people complaining. wonder how many more he has deleted
RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-17-2008 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
haha

even the first 2 pages (i cba looking any further) on his own privately owned website are people complaining. wonder how many more he has deleted

lol his website screams "please type in your creditcard details so i can steal the details and go on a mass spending spree."
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by toddy on 12-17-2008 at 08:47 PM

and all this to save £2 on RRP

amazon sell them nearly as cheap as this fool

RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-17-2008 at 08:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
and all this to save £2 on RRP

amazon sell them nearly as cheap as this fool

i hear that. Also just go through ebay, there cheap on ebay plus your protected.
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Chrono on 12-17-2008 at 08:58 PM

quote:
lol his website screams "please type in your creditcard details so i can steal the details and go on a mass spending spree."
ROFL, so true :P
RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-17-2008 at 09:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
quote:
ROFL, so true :P

yep, it also screams "i am buying a chineese hooker with your creditcard tonight"

or "i am buying my nine children in nigeria food tonight with your creditcard"
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Nathan on 12-17-2008 at 09:15 PM

Discrate, is was mildy amusing the first time you said it, there's nothing worse than making a joke lame by repeating it...

RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-17-2008 at 09:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan
Discrate, is was mildy amusing the first time you said it, there's nothing worse than making a joke lame by repeating it...

Well what i said wasn't really meant to be a joke. The website actually screams it. *-)

Anyway lets not go off topic.
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by roflmao456 on 12-17-2008 at 10:01 PM

apparently his PayPal Buy Now buttons link to "luissalespaypal.co.uk" and just simply contains an iframe of habboukshops.110mb.com

edit: it sends POST information to: habboukshops.110mb.com/paypal.php

if you purchased right from there, you sir have been scammed.

RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-17-2008 at 10:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by roflmao456
apparently his PayPal Buy Now buttons link to "luissalespaypal.co.uk" and just simply contains an iframe of habboukshops.110mb.com

wow! nice find, didnt see that. Yep you have been scammed, if you used that site, cancel your cards straight away, because he will be using your card details to buy other things, he has probs already.
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by -dt- on 12-18-2008 at 12:43 AM

quote:
quote:

wow! nice find, didnt see that. Yep you have been scammed, if you used that site, cancell your cards straight away, because he will be using your card details to buy other things, he has probs already.
he did it via paypal, the guy doesnt have his credit card details
RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-18-2008 at 12:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
quote:

wow! nice find, didnt see that. Yep you have been scammed, if you used that site, cancell your cards straight away, because he will be using your card details to buy other things, he has probs already.
he did it via paypal, the guy doesnt have his credit card details

Read other peoples posts. =\

We have discoverd all the paypal buttons on his site link to here luissalespaypal.co.uk, jimbo may have been fooled by this and typed in his details through this, if he has hes been scammed.
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Chris4 on 12-18-2008 at 01:02 AM

Well if he bought it off ebay like he said, then he wouldn't have bought it from the website?

RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-18-2008 at 01:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Well if he bought it off ebay like he said, then he wouldn't have bought it from the website?

rofl, again read posts. He didn't buy it off ebay. sigh.
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by prashker on 12-18-2008 at 01:20 AM

quote:
Yes it was through an ebay classified ad which has now been removed from ebay for some reason

RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-18-2008 at 01:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:
Yes it was through an ebay classified ad which has now been removed from ebay for some reason

exactly, it was not bought off ebay, but he found this guys site through ebay classified.
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by prashker on 12-18-2008 at 01:35 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

exactly, it was not bought off ebay, but he found this guys site through ebay classified.
oh, I thought ebay had classifieds now :p...nvm
RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-18-2008 at 01:37 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

huh? lol.
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by prashker on 12-18-2008 at 01:39 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

huh? lol.
I don't know...ignore me :p
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Jimbo on 12-18-2008 at 11:05 AM

quote:

Hmm when i clikc hte buy it now link for 2100 MS points it links to https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flo...ec2e21966f389d5afb
RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Vilkku on 12-18-2008 at 11:26 AM

quote:
quote:

Hmm when i clikc hte buy it now link for 2100 MS points it links to https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flo...ec2e21966f389d5afb
Indeed, just the first button seems to go to the dodgy site.
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Jimbo on 12-19-2008 at 05:40 PM

Just though I'd let you all know that he sent me the code and apologised for the delay :)

RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Voldemort on 12-19-2008 at 06:13 PM

lol quite a scandal you provoked :P

RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-19-2008 at 06:37 PM

quote:
Just though I'd let you all know that he sent me the code and apologised for the delay :)

Well that's good. but still never buy out of ebay especially a site like that. He is obviously dodgy, one of the links went to a mock paypal website.

glad it worked out for you.
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Menthix on 12-19-2008 at 07:00 PM

It doesn't necessary end here... If he did indeed get your card details he can still abuse it.

RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-19-2008 at 07:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
It doesn't necessary end here... If he did indeed get your card details he can still abuse it.

True menthiX, but jimbo has said in his other post that he is sure it was the actual paypal page so hopefully he will be fine.
RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by djdannyp on 12-19-2008 at 09:41 PM

quote:

lol, if only you'd just waited two days instead of getting so paranoid straight away :P

you should always do the checking out of the feedback and whatnot before buying anything.

at least it seems to have had a happy ending

i'm sure there's a few morals to this story.....i'm gonna go with....."don't be so quick to judge"

for those who want an 'alternative ending' i'd go with "check things out first...thoroughly!"
RE: RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-19-2008 at 10:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
quote:

lol, if only you'd just waited two days instead of getting so paranoid straight away :P

you should always do the checking out of the feedback and whatnot before buying anything.

i'm sure there's a few morals to this story.....i'm gonna go with....."don't be so quick to judge"

for those who want an 'alternative ending' i'd go with "check things out first...thoroughly!"

Lol, he didnt buy it through ebay........ He found the guy through ebay then bought it off his site. And if i bought something off a site that looked like a 12 year old made it and some of the paypal links, linked to a mock paypal scam website and i didn't recieve a reply in 48 hours i would be paranoid. Wouldnt you? :P
RE: RE: RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by djdannyp on 12-19-2008 at 10:17 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Lol, he didnt buy it through ebay........ He found the guy through ebay then bought it off his site. And if i bought something off a site that looked like a 12 year old made it and some of the paypal links, linked to a mock paypal scam website and i didn't recieve a reply in 48 hours i would be paranoid. Wouldnt you? :P

that's why the moral of the story was to check everything out before buying...when i said feedback i didn't mean ebay, i just meant on the website.

i kinda have this thing about 'self induced' things and not being allowed to complain about them....hangovers are a prime example :P.   and this kinda falls under that category.....if you don't do your research properly and buy from a dodgy site, then you should expect to be a bit paranoid about it.....cos that's the risk you take :P
RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-19-2008 at 10:28 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

that's why the moral of the story was to check everything out before buying...when i said feedback i didn't mean ebay, i just meant on the website.

i kinda have this thing about 'self induced' things and not being allowed to complain about them....hangovers are a prime example :P.   and this kinda falls under that category.....if you don't do your research properly and buy from a dodgy site, then you should expect to be a bit paranoid about it.....cos that's the risk you take :P

Correct. So the moral of this story is, Don't do drugs.
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Chris4 on 12-19-2008 at 10:54 PM

quote:
Correct. So the moral of this story is, Don't do drugs.
[Image: drugs-are-bad-420.jpg]

"Drugs are bad, mmm kay?"

-------------------------------------

And .. glad it was fine in the end. (Y)
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Menthix on 12-22-2008 at 11:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by email
Thank you for contacting PayPal in relation to the website
http://www.luisales.co.uk/.

We will now conduct a review of this website to determine whether or not it
is in violation of our Acceptable Use Policy.  Under data protection laws, we
are unable to provide you with information regarding the outcome of this review.

If you have any questions, please contact the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy
Department at euaup@paypal.co.uk.

Sincerely,
Acceptable Use Policy Department
PayPal, an eBay Company
Took them a while :o.
RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Discrate on 12-22-2008 at 10:59 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by email
Thank you for contacting PayPal in relation to the website
http://www.luisales.co.uk/.

We will now conduct a review of this website to determine whether or not it
is in violation of our Acceptable Use Policy.  Under data protection laws, we
are unable to provide you with information regarding the outcome of this review.

If you have any questions, please contact the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy
Department at euaup@paypal.co.uk.

Sincerely,
Acceptable Use Policy Department
PayPal, an eBay Company
Took them a while :o.

All automated messages lol
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Menthix on 12-26-2008 at 09:46 AM

Looks like PayPal more or less shut them down.... http://www.luisales.co.uk/ doesn't load anymore, http://luisales.110mb.com/ still loads but the objects it's requesting from PayPal's servers don't load anymore.

RE: RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by NanoChromatic on 12-28-2008 at 10:24 PM

quote:
Looks like PayPal more or less shut them down.... http://www.luisales.co.uk/ doesn't load anymore, http://luisales.110mb.com/ still loads but the objects it's requesting from PayPal's servers don't load anymore.

Wait for it.....
quote:
habboukshops.110mb.com/paypal.php

And Thats why you should have firefox :). [ Or any web forgery thing ]

Btw, Probably scammed. Picture says it all.
[Image: ebay.jpg]

:refuck::refuck:
Note: It loads objects from PayPalObjects.com, Seems dodgy, also it 404s.
RE: Need to claim money back with PayPal by Menthix on 12-29-2008 at 02:14 AM

I have Firefox, and I also saw roflmao's post before I posted that. But me having Firefox won't protect random other people from getting scammed... Having Paypal shut it down will (at least until he moves to another host).