Shoutbox

Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS (/showthread.php?tid=87892)

Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS by Th3rmal on 12-22-2008 at 01:37 AM

I want to convert my external HDD from FAT32 to NTFS, and after a small search i found that it can easily be done by inputting the following into cmd:

J:> convert j: /fs:ntfs

Once i do this, i get the following:
[Image: convert.jpg]

And so i scheduled a task to run when the computer next restarted.

I restarted the pc and the task ran, but gave me the following error:

The file system of J: cannot be determined.

and it quit and the computer booted up as normal.

Anyone have any solutions as how i can convert my hdd to ntfs without the problems?

RE: Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS by ipab on 12-22-2008 at 02:06 AM

Just as a precursor to any major filesystem changes, you should always run Check Disk.

code:
chkdsk volume:/r

Then try using this tool:

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

to kill all handles ("Unlock All" option)... I realize that the convert command asks you if you want to kill all handles, but perhaps something is not letting it...

Once you have done this, now run the convert option and accept everything it asks you.

code:
convert volume: /fs:NTFS

P.S. toddy, see that wasn't so hard... people generally post in forums for help, and sometimes their issues might be something that cannot be fixed by a quick google search, so next time, try not to be a smart ass.
RE: Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS by ryxdp on 12-22-2008 at 02:22 AM

I've already told him to check whether any files are being used; it appears he's got some icons for IconTweaker on the drive, which are probably causing the issue among other things.

RE: Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS by Th3rmal on 12-22-2008 at 02:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
Just as a precursor to any major filesystem changes, you should always run Check Disk.

code:
chkdsk volume:/r

Then try using this tool:

http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

to kill all handles ("Unlock All" option)... I realize that the convert command asks you if you want to kill all handles, but perhaps something is not letting it...

Once you have done this, now run the convert option and accept everything it asks you.

code:
convert volume: /fs:NTFS

P.S. toddy, see that wasn't so hard... people generally post in forums for help, and sometimes their issues might be something that cannot be fixed by a quick google search, so next time, try not to be a smart ass.
Thanks ipab.

After running chkdsk, everything seemed to be fine. So i proceeded with getting the unlocker. I killed all processes and tried to run the conversion. But still, it said that it needed to kill the handles, even though the only handles that were on the drive were from cmd. :S

I also tried the scheduled task on restart again, but the same issue as last time. =/
RE: Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS by prashker on 12-22-2008 at 02:49 AM

This is assuming you have enough space somewhere else.

Transfer to PC...Format as NTFS :p?

It's weird that it won't let you do it on restart. Is there any reason why you want the External Hard Drive to be NTFS, unless it's needed I don't know why it can't just stay as FAT32. ;>

RE: Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS by ipab on 12-22-2008 at 02:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
It's weird that it won't let you do it on restart. Is there any reason why you want the External Hard Drive to be NTFS, unless it's needed I don't know why it can't just stay as FAT32. ;>

If he is using it to store HD movies or something... cause anything single file over 4gb, fat32 freaks out.
RE: Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS by Th3rmal on 12-22-2008 at 03:01 AM

quote:
quote:

If he is using it to store HD movies or something... cause anything single file over 4gb, fat32 freaks out.
Thats exactly the reason. I need to transfer files of over 6gb to that HDD, and this is the reason why i need it to be NTFS.

Formatting is probably the last thing i can do, but i find it interesting that it wont even let me do it on startup because the file system cannot be recognised :S
RE: Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS by prashker on 12-22-2008 at 03:02 AM

quote:
quote:

Well of course, I was plagued by this back in the day :p.

Still, then I go back to my alternate idea. Copy data then just format it :p
RE: Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS by TheSteve on 12-22-2008 at 04:32 AM

When you switch to a drive in CMD, it will open a handle to the drive.

So when you attempt to change the file system on drive j:, since CMD has an open handle, it fails.

Try to run the command without switching to the drive first.

code:
c:\Program Files\Pedram> convert j: /fs:ntfs

RE: Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS by prashker on 12-22-2008 at 05:09 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TheSteve

So when you attempt to change the file system on drive j:, since CMD has an open handle, it fails.

code:

But that wouldn't explain why it didn't work after reboot :p?...or would it :o
RE: RE: Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS by TheSteve on 12-22-2008 at 05:35 AM

quote:
But that wouldn't explain why it didn't work after reboot :p?...or would it :o
No, but that may be that the USB drivers aren't loaded yet and the system doesn't even see the drive (which would explain why it wouldn't even be able to determine the file system.)
RE: Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS by Th3rmal on 12-22-2008 at 07:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TheSteve

code:

tyvm, that fixed the problem :) The HDD is now ntfs (H)
RE: RE: Convert External HDD from FAT32 to NTFS by TheSteve on 12-22-2008 at 07:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
tyvm, that fixed the problem :) The HDD is now ntfs (H)
You're welcome :).  Glad to hear you got it to work.