Shoutbox

Remove Windows Bar - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Remove Windows Bar (/showthread.php?tid=87913)

Remove Windows Bar by sddfg on 12-22-2008 at 07:59 PM

Hello, ist there a way to remove the windows bar from the windows live messenger 2009? I mean the bar where you can mimize, maximize, close the window. In the old messenger it was possible

Grettings

RE: Remove Windows Bar by djdannyp on 12-22-2008 at 08:13 PM

You mean the Aero border?

No, the only way to remove this is to either turn off aero, or apply a shaped skin.....however if you're on the new RC then you can't apply a skin

RE: Remove Windows Bar by prashker on 12-22-2008 at 08:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
No, the only way to remove this is to either turn off aero, or apply a shaped skin.....however if you're on the new RC then you can't apply a skin

Wrong :p *tells mynetx to post to explain*

[Image: attachment.php?pid=942186]
RE: Remove Windows Bar by mynetx on 12-22-2008 at 08:22 PM

Thanks Sammie ;)

@sddfg, djdannyp:

You can also use a tool called "Messenger Aero Switcher" programmed by me. It will turn Aero on or off on the fly, you don't even need to restart Messenger.

In order to use it, you should be on Windows Vista with enabled Aero, and you should have the latest Windows Live Messenger 2009 RC (14.0.8050.1202) installed.

[Image: messengeraeroswitcher14om0.png]
Messenger Aero Switcher: Turn Aero on or off just for Messenger

Free download: Messenger Aero Switcher for Windows Live Messenger 2009 RC 14.0.8050.1202 (165 kB)
Please report any problems or unexpected behavior you might notice.

RE: Remove Windows Bar by Basilis on 12-22-2008 at 08:27 PM

Great tool mynetx. This will be very useful when Messenger is officially released and skinning is implemented again.

RE: Remove Windows Bar by Eljay on 12-22-2008 at 08:28 PM

I'm assuming this just changes AeroWindowFrameEnabled in the registry? Too lazy to download and test, looks nice though :P

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Live\Messenger\AeroWindowFrameEnabled if anyone cares

RE: Remove Windows Bar by mynetx on 12-22-2008 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
looks nice though
Thanks Eljay...

You're right - but using such a tiny tool is easier than handling with dangerous registry hives and possibly destroying something, true?
RE: Remove Windows Bar by djdannyp on 12-22-2008 at 09:42 PM

That's a nice trick, wasn't aware of that one, so I stand corrected.

I much prefer the aero-less look on WLM....still waiting for compatible Plus before I move up to the RC tho....and praying that skinning is okay (but hopefully the work that the fairies are doing is coming good)

RE: Remove Windows Bar by sddfg on 12-22-2008 at 11:19 PM

Thanks for your replies :D