Shoutbox

Service Pack 3 annoyance - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Service Pack 3 annoyance (/showthread.php?tid=87928)

Service Pack 3 annoyance by ThePuffin on 12-23-2008 at 11:50 AM

When I install SP3 and restart, bla bla bla, my pc freezes whenever i ask it to start any program, and it made me reformat my computer.

But i do want SP3, is it possible or do i have to upgrade some things in my pc? (processor etc.)

cheers

RE: Service Pack 3 annoyance by Mike on 12-23-2008 at 12:24 PM

Get a Windows XP installation disk with SP3 slipstream (or do it yourself with nLite)

RE: Service Pack 3 annoyance by ThePuffin on 12-23-2008 at 12:47 PM

No it hasnt worked, sp3 is still making my pc freeze.

is there a way i can remove it without reformatting

RE: Service Pack 3 annoyance by ShawnZ on 12-23-2008 at 01:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ThePuffin

did you even do what he suggested?
RE: Service Pack 3 annoyance by Baceman on 12-27-2008 at 06:22 AM

maybe if you put in your xp cd and make new install with out formating .. might do the trick.. then when you got that worked out.. maybe look at going to microsoft and downloading the SP3 and installing it.. hope thats a help

Baceman.

RE: Service Pack 3 annoyance by Chris4 on 12-27-2008 at 02:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ThePuffin
But i do want SP3, is it possible or do i have to upgrade some things in my pc? (processor etc.)
You don't need to upgrade your PC to use SP3. It's only updates, security patches, etc.
RE: Service Pack 3 annoyance by absorbation on 12-27-2008 at 02:22 PM

Windows service packs are terrible. I can't belive it took me 3 hours to install Vista SP1 (took 5 batches of updates), while it took me 10 minutes to update Mac OS X. I was so fucking angry yesterday, that I vow to personally slap Bill Gates if I ever see him.

RE: Service Pack 3 annoyance by vaccination on 12-27-2008 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Windows service packs are terrible. I can't belive it took me 3 hours to install Vista SP1 (took 5 batches of updates), while it took me 10 minutes to update Mac OS X. I was so fucking angry yesterday, that I vow to personally slap Bill Gates if I ever see him.
SP1? Bit late for that isn't it? Anyway, it only took me one restart to install the core SP2 and a second to install the following security updates for it.
RE: Service Pack 3 annoyance by Menthix on 12-27-2008 at 02:45 PM

SP2? Bit early for that, isn't it? (assuming you mean on Vista)

RE: Service Pack 3 annoyance by absorbation on 12-27-2008 at 05:13 PM

Compared to Mac it is frustrating. I couldn't install SP1 until I installed an update, which required an update, and that required an update. I then had to install the relevant updates for SP1 which take forever to download and are redilcously long to install.

RE: Service Pack 3 annoyance by Adeptus on 12-27-2008 at 06:10 PM

quote:
This is not a common SP3 problem, because millions of people running XP SP3 don't have it.  It shouldn't matter whether you upgraded or used a slipstreamed install, either.  It is something about your hardware or software, and it sounds more like software.

When you reformatted, which you mention you have done already, how much time did you spend testing it with clean Windows?  If you do it again, I suggest the following:

1)When formatting the drive, do not choose the "quick" format options.  Those skip checking for bad sectors, which can sometimes cause problems similar to yours.

2)Do not proceed to immediately installing all your other software.  Test it out with just Windows first -- it includes some programs that you can play with, like Wordpad and Paint.  Apply all Windows updates, add any necessary drivers and keep testing.  If you are satisfied that the clean install works fine, start adding programs one at a time and testing in between, so that you know where it goes bad.

3)Instead of using what came on hardware CDs or you might have saved from two years ago, find and download recent versions of all the drivers you require.  Older ones could have problems with SP3. 

4)A top suspect here would be antivirus/antispyware software.  If you are using a commercial product and can't just download the current version without paying for an upgrade, be sure to test extensively before and after.

5)Install any optional drivers (e.g. Intel chipset drivers and Matrix Storage driver, or whatever is appropriate for your hardware).  Windows has generic versions of these drivers so they may appear unnecessary, but there is a reason why they are made available and I've seen a few times where they've fixed rare and mysterious problems.

6) (almost left this one out) -- make sure you have the most recent motherboard BIOS.