Shoutbox

Re: More noticable 'incompatible..' banner on forum? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Re: More noticable 'incompatible..' banner on forum? (/showthread.php?tid=88114)

Re: More noticable 'incompatible..' banner on forum? by MeEtc on 01-04-2009 at 11:11 PM

My suggestion for the banner, in addition to making it more noticable is to put it on all the forum view pages (forumdisplay.php) for all users with fewer than 10 posts, in addition to the main page for everyone. Thoughts?

On a similar note, its also being asked way too much on the IRC webchat, even though the user is told twice before being able to say anything.

[Image: webchatbox.jpg]

RE: Re: More noticable 'incompatible..' banner on forum? by djdannyp on 01-04-2009 at 11:15 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me, there's still way too many people asking about it

RE: Re: More noticable 'incompatible..' banner on forum? by Jesus on 01-04-2009 at 11:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
there's still way too many people asking about it
Making it more noticable won't help that much I think...
Some people are just too thick and ignorant to read anything before posting their question.
Perhaps a captcha saying "I know that Messenger Plus! Live is not yet compatible with the latest Windows Live Messenger and I will not post a new thread about that subject." would help, but that's a bit overdone IMO :P

Edit: MeEtc's example about the webchat shows exactly what I mean...
Also, I voted No in the poll. Not because I think it's not asked too often, but because of what I stated in this post.
RE: Re: More noticable 'incompatible..' banner on forum? by WDZ on 01-05-2009 at 09:13 AM

Blah... I haven't bothered trying to make the banner more noticeable yet because I assumed Patchou would have an update out by now. :\

I guess I'll add it to forumdisplay since that's an easy thing to do. Another idea is to add some kind of image to the banner... is there a logo that people would associate with the WLM beta?

quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
On a similar note, its also being asked way too much on the IRC webchat, even though the user is told twice before being able to say anything.
Maybe that just proves that some people are going to ask no matter how hard you try to give them the answer beforehand. :p

They might not be sure whether they have the "latest build" of WLM, or whether the incompatibility is really the cause of their problems. Maybe it would help if the banner described the common problems and had some more details...
RE: RE: Re: More noticable 'incompatible..' banner on forum? by djdannyp on 01-05-2009 at 09:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Another idea is to add some kind of image to the banner... is there a logo that people would associate with the WLM beta?

[Image: Wlm_logo-ic.png]

maybe?  It is the new logo after all

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

They might not be sure whether they have the "latest build" of WLM, or whether the incompatibility is really the cause of their problems. Maybe it would help if the banner described the common problems and had some more details...

Colour codes not working and the taskbar not flashing properly seem to be the most common problems.
RE: Re: More noticable 'incompatible..' banner on forum? by Th3rmal on 01-05-2009 at 10:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jesus
Perhaps a captcha saying "I know that Messenger Plus! Live is not yet compatible with the latest Windows Live Messenger and I will not post a new thread about that subject." would help, but that's a bit overdone IMO :P

I dont know about you, but i dont know many people who read what a CAPTCHA is about before filling it out :P. I mean, if i saw one, id probably just fill ti out without reading anything about it
RE: Re: More noticable 'incompatible..' banner on forum? by Spunky on 01-05-2009 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:

I dont know about you, but i dont know many people who read what a CAPTCHA is about before filling it out :P. I mean, if i saw one, id probably just fill ti out without reading anything about it

No, a CAPTCHA where you have to write out that sentance ;)

RE: Re: More noticable 'incompatible..' banner on forum? by Th3rmal on 01-05-2009 at 11:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:
quote:

No, a CAPTCHA where you have to write out that sentance ;)
OHHHH, yes that would be useful :P
RE: Re: More noticable 'incompatible..' banner on forum? by blessedguy on 01-05-2009 at 12:38 PM

Drastict situations request for drastic actions...
Maybe more pop-ups, checkboxes and huge banners for new members could hep a bit...

RE: Re: More noticable 'incompatible..' banner on forum? by Willz on 01-05-2009 at 12:43 PM

The only thing with the IRC thing is it will only work for people who speak English. But asides from that I'm for the idea because if people still ask about it in IRC then there is more reason to flame :P

I thought the banner was pretty obvious, but if people still aren't getting it then maybe we should try alternate methods. Maybe through interpretive dance people might get it :P

RE: Re: More noticable 'incompatible..' banner on forum? by Th3rmal on 01-05-2009 at 01:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Willz
Maybe through interpretive dance people might get it
WDZ, get to work! :P
RE: Re: More noticable 'incompatible..' banner on forum? by NanoChromatic on 01-05-2009 at 04:09 PM

I already posted a thread like this a week or two ago.
Maybe when registering add a field like:
The current build of Plus will NOT work with Wlm RC (14.0.8505 (Or whatever it is)) do you agree not to post asking for a date? : Yes.Or something similar :D.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Willz
Maybe through interpretive dance people might get it
WDZ, get to work! :P
Or maybe this ;)