Shoutbox

cannot get messenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: cannot get messenger (/showthread.php?tid=88248)

cannot get messenger by lyn on 01-10-2009 at 06:09 PM

i tried to log on to messenger the other night and was forced to down load windows live i currently had windows beta 9 and nothing worked . i did a virus scan and a win32 trojan was found and dealt with and since then cannot access messenger at all. have uninstalled all messenger programmes but now find i cannot download again it just keeps telling me i cannot start application . does anyone know what this means ??thanks

RE: cannot get messenger by Chris4 on 01-10-2009 at 07:29 PM

From what I understand, you had Windows Live Messenger 2009 beta and its forced an upgrade to the latest version. That process should of been simple and it is not a trojan, so the trojan you found wasn't related to the Messenger upgrade. It must be something else, unless you downloaded a fake dodgy version of Messenger from somewhere, which I doubt.

Try removing WLM from Add/Remove Programs. If you can't, try ZapMessenger.

RE: cannot get messenger by lyn on 01-10-2009 at 07:57 PM

thanks for replying chris just downloaded zap messenger but agian it would not let me start application.i think i may have a problem somewhere else .

RE: cannot get messenger by lyn on 01-15-2009 at 07:03 PM

my friend managed to sort my problem but to recieve messenger i had to get a code by text which cost me £6 ???? has anyone else had this ?

RE: cannot get messenger by vaccination on 01-15-2009 at 07:09 PM

You have downloaded an unofficial version of WLM.

Please read MenthiX's reply to Charged to download new messenger for more information

RE: cannot get messenger by lyn on 01-16-2009 at 12:19 AM

jeez what a numpty i am can't really follow that thread as am super tired . not sure if i need to uninstall or what ? will try to catch up tomorrow . am worried am gonna get charged more though ..

RE: cannot get messenger by lyn on 01-16-2009 at 10:53 AM

have uninstalled and downloaded proper version with link from here . now hoping i wont hear anything more . may call phone provider to see what they say ?? thanks for help

RE: cannot get messenger by Chris4 on 01-19-2009 at 11:22 PM

Moral of this story: Never pay money for something that is free.