Shoutbox

How to restore original taskbar functionality in Windows 7 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: How to restore original taskbar functionality in Windows 7 (/showthread.php?tid=88293)

How to restore original taskbar functionality in Windows 7 by Mike on 01-11-2009 at 02:04 PM

Pretty simple :)

Just set WLM's compatibility to Windows Vista, start WLM and drag it into the notification area (optional but recommended).

RE: How to restore original taskbar functionality in Windows 7 by rssurvivor on 01-11-2009 at 02:18 PM

Thanks! This does work, however there should be a official way. I can't imagine microsoft removing something vital as the tray icon.

RE: How to restore original taskbar functionality in Windows 7 by Shiny Rabbit on 01-11-2009 at 02:27 PM

keep in mind this is an unfinished OS, things will change

RE: How to restore original taskbar functionality in Windows 7 by rssurvivor on 01-11-2009 at 03:33 PM

I believe the problem lies within WLM9, when I ran WLM8.5 everything was fine.

RE: How to restore original taskbar functionality in Windows 7 by Menthix on 01-11-2009 at 03:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rssurvivor
believe the problem lies within WLM9, when I ran WLM8.5 everything was fine.
We call it a problem, Microsoft unfortunately calls it the hot new thing. The behavior in WLM9 is intended like that :(.
RE: How to restore original taskbar functionality in Windows 7 by Thor on 01-11-2009 at 03:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
We call it a problem, Microsoft unfortunately calls it the hot new thing. The behavior in WLM9 is intended like that :(.
TBH, I find it a whole lot better. I use WLM a lot and having it there makes perfect sense. I mean, the width of taskbar entries barely take any space (in width) so you have room for an incredible amount of tasks.

The only scenario I can imagine not wanting to have it like that would be if you don't use the superbar as intended but instead have labels as well.
RE: How to restore original taskbar functionality in Windows 7 by vaccination on 01-11-2009 at 03:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Thor
quote:
quote:
TBH, I find it a whole lot better. I use WLM a lot and having it there makes perfect sense. I mean, the width of taskbar entries barely take any space (in width) so you have room for an incredible amount of tasks.

The only scenario I can imagine not wanting to have it like that would be if you don't use the superbar as intended but instead have labels as well.
It's just as easy to click the systray as it is the taskbar though...
closing it should make it go to systray, just makes sense.
RE: How to restore original taskbar functionality in Windows 7 by Thor on 01-11-2009 at 07:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, but the roles have changed. The superbar icons gives more power and different interface options than the tray. If you look at the API and the possibilities, you see that the superbar is intended to be used as the Messenger does, including other means like the explorer and such.

This isn't the same old interface. It's something new and it contains change.
RE: How to restore original taskbar functionality in Windows 7 by vaccination on 01-11-2009 at 07:51 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yes, but the roles have changed. The superbar icons gives more power and different interface options than the tray. If you look at the API and the possibilities, you see that the superbar is intended to be used as the Messenger does, including other means like the explorer and such.

This isn't the same old interface. It's something new and it contains change.
What? I don't put it in the systray for functionality, I put it there to get it off the taskbar...
RE: How to restore original taskbar functionality in Windows 7 by ShawnZ on 01-11-2009 at 08:42 PM

http://messengergeek.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!E37...81BBDA1!1449.entry << allows you to hide the stupid invisible win7 window. if you then pin messenger to your taskbar, it works almost like it used to :p