Shoutbox

To anyone with Windows installed in a foreign language... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: To anyone with Windows installed in a foreign language... (/showthread.php?tid=88395)

To anyone with Windows installed in a foreign language... by djdannyp on 01-13-2009 at 04:49 PM

..I'd like you to check something for me please.

Firstly, is your Program Files folder named 'Program Files' or is it named in the language in which Windows is installed

Secondly, if you type

code:
%programfiles%
into Explorer and press enter, does it open the program files folder?

Thanks in advance :)

NB: It must be computers that are INSTALLED in a foreign language, not just where a foreign language has been selected for use after install
RE: To anyone with Windows installed in a foreign language... by Kafman on 01-13-2009 at 05:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Firstly, is your Program Files folder named 'Program Files' or is it named in the language in which Windows is installed
It is named in the language in wich Windows is installed, however:

quote:
Yes, it opens "Archivos de Programa" (Program Files) and if I'm correct, this is because of the enviroment variable that Windows uses, more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_Files
RE: To anyone with Windows installed in a foreign language... by djdannyp on 01-13-2009 at 06:22 PM

Brilliant, that's really helpful :)

One further question, is C:\Windows\Fonts in the same location whichever language it's installed in?

Thanks

RE: To anyone with Windows installed in a foreign language... by Basilis on 01-13-2009 at 06:25 PM

quote:
..I'd like you to check something for me please.

Secondly, if you type

code:
%programfiles%

Thanks in advance :)

NB: It must be computers that are INSTALLED in a foreign language, not just where a foreign language has been selected for use after install

1) The folder is called Program Files in my PC
2) It opened the folder when I did what you said.

I hope I helped.
I have XP SP3 in Greek

RE: To anyone with Windows installed in a foreign language... by Mnjul on 01-13-2009 at 06:57 PM

On Chinese Traditional (Taiwan) installation:

XP, 2003, Vista, 2008:
Program Files
and %programfiles% works (directing to x64 directory (i.e. no x86 suffix) on x64 installations though)

If I remember it right, if in a language it's possible to express all those special folder names in ASCII-7 chars then MS's chosen the folder names to be localized.

Fonts still at C:\Windows\Fonts .
RE: To anyone with Windows installed in a foreign language... by blessedguy on 01-13-2009 at 07:09 PM

On a Brazilian portuguese installation,
XP, Vista (both 32bits) %programfiles% lead to the folder "Arquivos de Programas" (means Program Files).

And C:\Windows\Fonts is the same on all translations... (think the Windows folder doesn't change)

RE: To anyone with Windows installed in a foreign language... by Jesus on 01-13-2009 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
1) The folder is called Program Files in my PC
2) It opened the folder when I did what you said.
same on dutch XP SP3
RE: To anyone with Windows installed in a foreign language... by TheSteve on 01-14-2009 at 12:52 AM

Still "Program Files" in the Japanese version.

However things like "Desktop" and "Start Menu" have been renamed to the Japanese equivalent.

If you're trying to programmatically locate a program, there are generally registry keys which tell exactly where it's supposed to be.