Shoutbox

Charged to download new messenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Charged to download new messenger (/showthread.php?tid=88443)

Charged to download new messenger by CeriCaterina on 01-14-2009 at 08:37 PM

I wonder if anyone can tell me if my experience is a bit unusual?

I have had a messenger virus, so uninstalled it and downloaded and installed a new version. I logged on and downloaded a new version of windows live messenger 9, it asked me to send a text for a download code, which I did, then I was charged £6 for two text message to receive the code.

I thought that it was a free package - with hindsight I was a bit naive to send the text, but thought it was genuine.

Any info would be gratefully received.
Ceri

RE: Charged to download new messenger by Menthix on 01-14-2009 at 08:46 PM

You downloaded from an unofficial site.

Unfortunately there are quite a few sites offering free software and charging money for the download/usage. These site are hard to stop, Messenger Plus! itself is on several of these sites as well. Any attempts to shut them down failed so far. These sites try to make some easy money without any permission from the authors of the software they offer.
In the future please don't send any SMS to be able to download/use any software. Most of the time it's unclear what you're really paying or what these unknown companies do with your mobile number.

The latest Windows Live Messenger can be downloaded for free on http://download.live.com/messenger
The latest Messenger Plus! Live can be downloaded for free on http://www.msgpluslive.net/download/

RE: Charged to download new messenger by CeriCaterina on 01-14-2009 at 08:50 PM

Thanks Menthix,

I can't believe how stupid I was!!! I have asked them to stop the messages, but am afraid that they will continue to send them and charge me.

RE: Charged to download new messenger by Menthix on 01-14-2009 at 09:04 PM

You have to send them a special message to stop the service, unfortunately the message you have to send varies per service to make it hard for you to stop while they can continue to make money.

You could try googling the number the messages come from or the service name and see if you can find the correct stop message. If that fails, call your phone provider and ask them if they can help out with the situation. If you don't do anything these things can get quite expensive. And unfortunately these types of service are not illegal yet :(.

Do you know which site you downloaded from, I like to take a look and see if there's something that can be done to stop them from making more victims.

RE: Charged to download new messenger by joey on 01-14-2009 at 09:06 PM

i'd be amazed if they actually followed the law(i think it is) and set a stop message =p

RE: Charged to download new messenger by CeriCaterina on 01-14-2009 at 09:10 PM

I just googled and found this site:

http://www.msn-messenger-9.org/uk/

I have sent a STOP message, but not sure if it will be acted on.

Thank you for your support.

RE: Charged to download new messenger by Menthix on 01-14-2009 at 09:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joey
i'd be amazed if they actually followed the law(i think it is) and set a stop message
AFAIK phone providers have the right to block them from their network if they don't. But laws vary per country, so it's hard to know.
RE: Charged to download new messenger by joey on 01-14-2009 at 09:43 PM

well, to be fair, it does say they'll charge you for the number of texts and how much, even if it just copied and pasted.

and rofl at this...

quote:
Originally posted by legal page

Furthermore, by providing his/her data the user expressly agrees they will be used to send commercial communications through any communications resource, including electronic or telematic, about products and services provided by the [COMPANY] or Group companies. The user may oppose to the sending of commercial communications at any time by sending an email to the following address [CANCELLATION form]

i reckon whoever is doing it has a few websites similar to it

but there is this. click on the menu and look for "i want to STOP"
http://support.sorpresor.com/Soletto/Nueva.aspx

actually, they probably just want your email address too, while they're at it. aren't i slow?
RE: Charged to download new messenger by lyn on 01-16-2009 at 12:34 AM

i have done the same thing DOH

that is the same site that i downloaded from too :(
RE: Charged to download new messenger by joey on 01-16-2009 at 06:40 PM

this is what you get when you blindly click on "Agree to T&C" without actually reading it.

there is a program somewhere that scans T&C's that pc pro gave away free on a cd, but i can't remember the name of it. anyone?

RE: Charged to download new messenger by limeares on 01-20-2009 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joey
this is what you get when you blindly click on "Agree to T&C" without actually reading it.

there is a program somewhere that scans T&C's that pc pro gave away free on a cd, but i can't remember the name of it. anyone?

That program its called EULAlyzer. Pretty good!

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/eulalyzer.html
RE: Charged to download new messenger by cfmiT on 01-26-2009 at 10:27 PM

Hi all, just joined tonight. I fell for this SCAM didn't read the T&C at the end of the download I was told to text CD to 78881 did that then a little later came back this crap..

Text1 :SMS 1/3 Price per SMS: 3 Pounds. Total cost 9 Pounds. 15:45 25/1

Text2 :SMS2/3 You will get a last mesage with your code         15:55 25/01

Text3 :SMS 3/3 Your code is TDMZ** Total price 9 Pounds.       15:56 25/01

I was on route to getting stuffed like the proverbial 'Lamb to the slaughter'

:(

Any way I figured out that if I communicated with these scumbags through their support I maight get my money refunded - pigs might fly (N)

So I went to the site and filled in a "I want to STOP" and left it at that, until I went  back again and was able to navigate sufficiently well to leave them a simple message by choosing "<Contact reason> 'other" whereupon a small expandable dialogue field appear for you to express you thoughts or whatever. 

I left it at that for the day really miffed [I only wish I could express my digust in much stronger vocab] off that I had been conned out of £9.

This morning up bright and early rand O2 my PAYG provider who where really fantastic.

The O2 Support told me to send the following info text and ring the following phone number He said:

Text: STOP ALL (capitals) to 89178

RING: 0871 9180999

Did all that rang the number = engaged -what did I expect Duh!

Rang again later UNOBTAINABLE !!! Alarm bells started to ring so I rang Customer Services again and a real GENTLEMAN said what I will do is I will refund all of your loss to this company - I thought WOW my faith in my telco provider just went through the roof.. Well chuffed was I.:D

I would like to say in conclusion WELL DONE O2 and I hope this help some other victim of these 'hijos de puta madres' - Ladrones from, I think, some far off Spanish speaking land god knows where on this planet

httpupport.sorpresor.com/Soletto/Nueva.aspx://s
Nueva = New

This is what was hidden behind the T&C which most of us skip ;)

http://www.winrar-full.net/uk/legal.php

USAGE CONDITIONS

WARNING: ACCESS TO THE PREMIUM SERVICE SHALL REQUIRE SENDING THREE SMS PER DOWNLOAD. THE PRICE OF EACH SMS IS THREE POUNDS, UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
Before using the Premium services offered by Soletto Group, S.A.
(hereinafter the "Company") through the website (hereinafter the "Website") shall carefully read these Usage Conditions. If these are not acceptable, do not access the Premium Services of Soletto Group, S.A. and immediately close this page, as the request or download of software imply the acceptance of these Usage Conditions.

PS The correct address for WinRAR is www.rarlab.com

and as a final note it looks as though I picked up a Google link on the page after Googling winrar

Free WinRAR
Download New Version Get the free WinRAR
www.winrar-full.net/uk

BE AWARE! BE VERY AWARE EVERYONE :((N)(N)(N)(N)(N)(N)