Shoutbox

using firefox as default browser with wml 2009 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: using firefox as default browser with wml 2009 (/showthread.php?tid=88453)

using firefox as default browser with wml 2009 by steve fozz on 01-15-2009 at 03:22 AM

I use firefox as my default browser, messenger 8.5 alway opened hotmail in internet explorer,
since updating to wml 2009 messsenger now opens hotmail in firefox which is a royal pain when using more than one messenger account because you have to keep signing in and out of accounts on firefox.

Does anyone know how i may keep firefox as my default browser but still have wml 2009 messenger open hotmail with internet explorer as it did in messenger 8.5 ?  .

thanks for any ideas,
steve fozz.

RE: using firefox as default browser with wml 2009 by MartinKSmith on 01-15-2009 at 05:34 PM

Yeah, this is happening to me too. Any suggestions?

RE: using firefox as default browser with wml 2009 by joey on 01-15-2009 at 06:48 PM

firefox will probably be set as the default browser.

in IE go to tools > programs and at the top, there is a button saying "make default".

clicky clicky ;D

RE: using firefox as default browser with wml 2009 by toddy on 01-15-2009 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joey
firefox will probably be set as the default browser.

in IE go to tools > programs and at the top, there is a button saying "make default".

clicky clicky ;D
try reading his post again :p

he wants firefox as default, but not for messenger (like it use to be)
RE: using firefox as default browser with wml 2009 by SideSkroll on 01-15-2009 at 10:23 PM

Hi, I'm having the same exact problem. I have Opera as my default browser... But I have opened my email in on IE forever and thats the way I like it... Is there a fix to this? Its funny though.. I remember in previous version of WLM everybody complained about the lack of support for other browsers and now, it seems that Microsoft paid attention to those complains and made the leap to support the users default browser... It just shows you that its impossible to please everybody.
Well, back on topic, is there a way to keep IE as my default "mail browser" while keeping Opera as my main browser? I know stuffplug had an option for this (only backwards) that is, the plugin allowed you to hange the default browser for emails... Any help would be greatly appreciated because I freaking hate the lack of support from Microsofts Live mail to other browsers (ie: It opens.. but is full of bugs and whatnot... For example you can't paste a link in a mail youre writing...)

RE: using firefox as default browser with wml 2009 by Legseleven on 01-20-2009 at 11:28 PM

I am also experiencing the same problem but don't want to change my default browser to IE. 

I accept that previously there were complaints to Microsoft about lack of support with other browsers but it seems that instead of adding to the functionality Microsoft have removed the previous way of working and replaced with the new, annoying way.

Why couldn't the previous way of opening email be kept and the new way be added as an option if preferred.

RE: using firefox as default browser with wml 2009 by steve fozz on 05-16-2009 at 12:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve fozz
I use firefox as my default browser, messenger 8.5 alway opened hotmail in internet explorer,
since updating to wml 2009 messsenger now opens hotmail in firefox which is a royal pain when using more than one messenger account because you have to keep signing in and out of accounts on firefox.

Does anyone know how i may keep firefox as my default browser but still have wml 2009 messenger open hotmail with internet explorer as it did in messenger 8.5 ?  .

thanks for any ideas,
steve fozz.

Still looking for a solution to this problem if anyone has any ideas,
thanks Steve

RE: using firefox as default browser with wml 2009 by Jesus on 05-16-2009 at 03:57 PM

I may have a workaround for the continuous switching between accounts in firefox.
I'm not sure if it works, as I don't have hotmail or live email addresses.

The idea is as follows:
-Download IEtab for firefox.
-Set it to open hotmail/live mail in IEtab by default.

Now hotmail should be opened in a firefox tab, using IE's rendering engine. So it should be (almost) like it opened in IE.

Please post back here if this worked out for you or not.