Shoutbox

WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed (/showthread.php?tid=88507)

WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by vistauser69 on 01-17-2009 at 12:43 PM

When you do think the next version of it will come out? Surely they must know there's so many bugs that it can't even fit on a shopping list.

RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by Thor on 01-17-2009 at 12:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vistauser69
When you do think the next version of it will come out? Surely they must know there's so many bugs that it can't even fit on a shopping list.
I don't sew why they'd release RC2 as what is out now is defined as the final version.

They might release an additional bugfixer but quite frankly, I personally have not experienced any major bugs.
RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by Menthix on 01-17-2009 at 02:10 PM

quote:
Surely they must know there's so many bugs that it can't even fit on a shopping list.
OK, name me five :).

Seriously though, the current build appears pretty solid to me. Found a few minor issues, but those are more around the new Live web services.
RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by Mike on 01-17-2009 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
  1. Disappearing PSMs on contact list
  2. Current media not showing some times
  3. Broken Alt-Shortcuts on Add contacts window in English version
  4. New message sound plays two times on new windows
  5. Typing text feels much slower compared to WLM8
  6. Contact list randomly jumping around when a contact signs in
  7. Alert sounds stack (bug or not? Certainly annoying though, unless it is a different alert)
  8. Disabled icons disappear and reappear when talking to offline contacts

Eight for you since you are a butterfly.

Of course, these bugs will not stop you from using the new version, but they are annoying :P
RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by prashker on 01-17-2009 at 04:45 PM

also Webcam image is reversed locally but is fine for the contact :p

RE: RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by warmth on 01-17-2009 at 06:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Typing text feels much slower compared to WLM8
Sometimes my convos get like paused and I can't write anything until they response (sometimes it response and all the text I wrote when it was paused appears) and I have thought that this was regarding to MP!L... but I can't be sure of that... that's why I haven't reported this until now... in any place...

Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1 (6.0.6001)
Windows Live Messenger 14.0.1202
Messenger Plus! Live 4.79.0.353
Skin: Wave 3 Toast 1.0.0

RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by Link_of_Hyrule on 01-17-2009 at 07:14 PM

I would imagine a more refined version will be released in February but as others have stated this is considered to be the "Final" version.

RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by vaccination on 01-17-2009 at 07:16 PM

Got scripts doing stuff on the send message event? Cause a slowness sending messages for me, it's instant otherwise though.

I've not noticed any of those bugs Mike

RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by Felu on 01-17-2009 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Contact list randomly jumping around when a contact signs in
Its been like that for ages...
RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by prashker on 01-17-2009 at 07:19 PM

Also the contact list doesn't like the HyperScroll of The MX Revolution (no clicking, continuous spinning). It goes directly to the bottom when you stop the wheel :p

RE: RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by Vilkku on 01-17-2009 at 08:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
Also the contact list doesn't like the HyperScroll of The MX Revolution (no clicking, continuous spinning). It goes directly to the bottom when you stop the wheel :p
WTF, that shouldn't cause any problems as that feature is only a hardware thing.
RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by mezzanine on 01-17-2009 at 09:21 PM

Frankly, I can't name 5 things that even work correctly in this version. Almost all features behave in unexpected ways. One major bug everyone's been reporting is the contact list display pictures not loading unless you open a conversation window with the contact or its contact card.

RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by blessedguy on 01-17-2009 at 09:30 PM

quote:
  1. Disappearing PSMs on contact list  << Not happening here.
  2. Current media not showing some times  << Not hapening here
  3. Broken Alt-Shortcuts on Add contacts window in English version << Of course, not happening here
  4. New message sound plays two times on new windows  << No...
  5. Typing text feels much slower compared to WLM8  << Not at all.
  6. Contact list randomly jumping around when a contact signs in  << Nope.
  7. Alert sounds stack (bug or not? Certainly annoying though, unless it is a different alert)  << nope.
  8. Disabled icons disappear and reappear when talking to offline contacts <One bug!

Of course, these bugs will not stop you from using the new version, but they are annoying :P
Everything is working fine here...
RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by Thor on 01-17-2009 at 09:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mezzanine
One major bug everyone's been reporting is the contact list display pictures not loading unless you open a conversation window with the contact or its contact card.
I haven't experienced that a single time. Honestly.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
  1. Disappearing PSMs on contact list
  2. Current media not showing some times <<< Is it just me or does it only show if you start the song while WLM is running?
  3. Broken Alt-Shortcuts on Add contacts window in English version <<< Not here
  4. New message sound plays two times on new windows <<< Not here.
  5. Typing text feels much slower compared to WLM8 <<< Honestly, can't say it's ever been faster or slower.
  6. Contact list randomly jumping around when a contact signs in <<< Not that either.
  7. Alert sounds stack (bug or not? Certainly annoying though, unless it is a different alert) <<< Personally I find that quite OK.
  8. Disabled icons disappear and reappear when talking to offline contacts <<< Noticed that.

Seriously, are the bugs people are experiencing so variable from source to source?
RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by blessedguy on 01-17-2009 at 09:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Thor
quote:
  1. Current media not showing some times <<< Is it just me or does it only show if you start the song while WLM is running?

For me, it changes to my current song, no matter when it started...
RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by prashker on 01-17-2009 at 09:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
WTF, that shouldn't cause any problems as that feature is only a hardware thing.
It must be too fast of a scroll :p
RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by TReKiE on 01-17-2009 at 09:57 PM

I'm afraid I agree with the original tone of the thread.  Having dealt with specific Messenger problems for over 9 years, the current release of WLM 2009 ranks among the lower quality versions. 

Besides what's already been mentioned, things which grace my inbox every single day include all sorts of install problems, crashes when starting Messenger, A/V compatibiilty (what works in 2008 no longer works in 2009), nevermind the plenty of small cosemetic things.

I personally consider all Messenger releases to be somewhat "beta" in nature.  The "official" releases are just feature complete. 

I'm sure some people remember that prior to the 8.x releases we generally had new point releases regularly, so there was more hope of bugs getting fixed occassionly.  This is opposed to the current mantra of just punting a lot of bugs to the next release, especially those that are cosmetic or hard to reproduce in the lab.

RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by vistauser69 on 01-18-2009 at 12:11 AM

In the previous versions 8.1-8.5 there were multi release of versions that would serve as a fix for the version beforehand, would they do this for 09 or are they just lazy?

RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by blessedguy on 01-18-2009 at 12:16 AM

quote:
In the previous versions 8.1-8.5 there were multi release of versions that would serve as a fix for the version beforehand, would they do this for 09 or are they just lazy?
as far as I know, Messenger will now be updated by Windows Update... soooo...
There will sure be fixes =)
RE: RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by vistauser69 on 01-18-2009 at 02:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mezzanine
Frankly, I can't name 5 things that even work correctly in this version. Almost all features behave in unexpected ways. One major bug everyone's been reporting is the contact list display pictures not loading unless you open a conversation window with the contact or its contact card.
yea i just noticed this, i loaded the picture in the conversation box and still it didn't refresh into the contact list, it just shows the "no picture" picture
RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by Mike on 01-18-2009 at 08:42 AM

Another major (imo) bug is that you cannot invite other people into multi-conversations which you have been invited to!
The invite button is mysteriously disabled...

RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by blessedguy on 01-18-2009 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Another major (imo) bug is that you cannot invite other people into multi-conversations which you have been invited to!
Is my client the only one that works correctly? =/
The only bug I have are those disabled but ghost buttons when you chat with someone who is appearing offline...
RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by Mike on 01-18-2009 at 06:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Is my client the only one that works correctly? =/
The only bug I have are those disabled but ghost buttons when you chat with someone who is appearing offline...
I don't know, it's a bit weird...
I haven't really researched this issue, but it seems that when I'm invited to a group chat which (only?) has people which I don't have in my CL, I can't invite other people.
RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by blessedguy on 01-18-2009 at 06:16 PM

Well, I haven't been invited to a chat without people from my contact list... but when i'm invited I still can invite o.O

RE: WLM 09 RC2? Soon? Crud load of bugs need to be fixed by MeEtc on 01-18-2009 at 06:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
quote:
Contact list randomly jumping around when a contact signs in
Its been like that for ages...
Occurs when you have a contact highlighted, and someone's status changes (anyone), the top of the scroll box will go to the highlighted contact. Happens fro me when sorted by status, don't know about by group.