Shoutbox

Lost messages - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Lost messages (/showthread.php?tid=88532)

Lost messages by Halacs on 01-18-2009 at 12:58 PM

Hello,

i have Windows Live Messenger 2009 (Build: 14.0.8050.1202) and Messenger Plus! Live 4.79.0.353 (beta) with Windows XP Professional.

I installed A-Patch too,  but messenger is not working, therefor A-Patch removed.

I have many of my messages  lost. Why?

Old scripts are compatible new messenger? I have two installed. ("linked chats" and "letter count")

RE: Lost messages by djdannyp on 01-18-2009 at 02:12 PM

What do you mean by lost messages?

Are you getting errors that messages are not being delivered?

And yes, some scripts may work with 2009...the best option is to try them and see if they still work properly

RE: RE: Lost messages by Halacs on 01-18-2009 at 02:33 PM

No, i dont get any error message.

Some of my messages does not arrive, and i get no "failed to send" warning. and some of my partners messages does not arrive to me. No warning of course.

Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus Live removed and reinstalled, but this is not working.

All script removed.

RE: Lost messages by djdannyp on 01-18-2009 at 02:53 PM

If you remove Messenger Plus do the messages still get lost?

Also did this ever happen on Messenger 8.5?

Has it been happening consistently since you upgraded to 2009, or has it only been happening today?

RE: RE: Lost messages by Halacs on 01-18-2009 at 03:11 PM

I removed Messenger Plus, and i am testing it now. It seems to work without msgplus.

Messenger 8.5 was correctly working. The problem appeared after installing 2009.

RE: Lost messages by Halacs on 01-19-2009 at 10:28 PM

Messenger was not working without msgplus :(

Windows XP is fully reinstalled, but this is not working (without msgplus)

Is my router possible bad? I have asus WL-500g deluxe with dd-wrt v24. Or it is possible regional problem?

RE: Lost messages by Nathan on 01-19-2009 at 10:54 PM

Actually, I get this as well. And I have no idea why. This is on XP as well.

RE: Lost messages by koky on 01-28-2009 at 11:46 AM

I don't want to open new thread beacuse I think my problem is similliar to this one.
I use Windows Live Messenger 2009 version 14.0.80.50.1202. I have downloaded and installed beta version of Live Plus (479b) for live 2009. My friend also installed same versions of messenger and plus. Then we noticed that sometimes I did not get her message and she did not get my message. Then we removed beta version of Messenger Plus and everything works just fine. So I believe there is a problem with Messenger Plus beta and i thought it would be nice of me to post it on your forums. So, if you need some more informations please let me know I'll be more then happy to give you some.

I just remember some more info: I use Vista 64bit and my friend XP 32bit. Might be useful info.

RE: RE: Lost messages by CookieRevised on 01-28-2009 at 12:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Halacs
Messenger was not working without msgplus :(

Windows XP is fully reinstalled, but this is not working (without msgplus)
What do you exactly mean by that?

1) Windows Live Messenger simply doesn't work (doesn't starts up, or doesn't log in, etc) when Messenger Plus! is not installed. But it does work when Messenger Plus! is installed.

2) Messages are still getting lost, even when Messenger Plus! is removed.

?

In the last case it means that this is not a Messenger Plus! problem. But that goes against what koky has said. Although koky's observations might be a coincidense or have another cause like a malfunctioning script.
RE: Lost messages by koky on 01-28-2009 at 02:58 PM

I've just found out that I'm still having problems even without Plus. I guess it's something else... Great news for autors of live and bad for me... :S

RE: Lost messages by Schnappi on 06-07-2009 at 05:57 PM

I have uninstalled all scripts/skins, including Plus! itself but this problem still happens.
I do notice this problem more on WLM 2009 compared against the previous version (8.5).

Can the windows live team at least implement an automatic ping command to let the sender know if his/her message has been succesfully delivered?
What's the purpose of an excellent IM program when messages don't get delivered at a 100% rate? Do take this seriously please.
Or at least state the reason(s) for this problem.

Thanks if anyone reads this.

RE: Lost messages by Halacs on 06-08-2009 at 12:43 PM

I have the same problem, I think you should write to the Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. I am already in contact with them, one more case would make more attention. After a few email exchange I have been passed to the Windows Live Messenger Global Escalations where they are still analyzing my problem.

It seems so far that third-party add-ons can cause such problems. But I am also experiencing message loss with pure WLM 2009...

Here is my issue in detail (an email portion):

"1, I have no problems with my Internet connection.
2, Connecting to Messenger also works fine. [+ I have my firewall set up properly.]
3, Loosing messages:
    a, On 'loosing messages' I mean the following:
       Imagine two Messenger user, A and B (both are connected via Messenger and has no
       Internet connectivity issues).
       A and B initiates a chat. During the conversation they experience that they do
       not fully understand each other. It turns out that some of the messages that
       A sent to B had not arrived to B (and vica versa). The 'lost message' only appears
       in the sender's client window and message log but does not appear in the "receiver's"
       window and message log.
    b, During parallel conversations - A <-> B and A <-> C (A is me):
       A <-> B experiences message loss whereas A <-> C experiences no message loss around
       the same moment (with 5-6 sec difference).
    c, I would like to emphasize that during a 'message loss' Internet connection remains live and   
       Messenger does not drops me out and everything seems to operate properly.
    d, The frequency of loosing messages is not constant:
         - sometimes it occurs rarely, say once per week
         - sometimes it occurs very often, say once per minute
    These are subjective statistics, I use Messenger 4-5 hours per day.
4, Bad message order:
  a, User A sends two messages - a1 and a2, in this order - to user B.
  b, User B receives the two messages in inverse order: first message a2 then a1.
  c, This occurs extremely rare (it is also more difficult to notice...).

To sum up, I think this is not an user-specific/related problem, because some of my friends also
experiencing message losses with different system configurations even in conversations that they
are exercising with another person (where this person is not me). 'On different system configurations'
I mean the following (these are some of my friends configurations):

1, Windows XP SP3 HU, Windows Live Messenger (Ver:2009, Build:14.0.8064.206) without add-ons, COMODO firewall, NOD32 antivirus.
2, Windows Vista SP1 HU 32bit, Messenger Plus + Windows Live Messenger 2009 (up-to-date), Eset Smart Security.
3, Windows XP HU, AVG free, Windows Live Messenger 2008 (build 8,5,1302,1018)"

RE: Lost messages by Schnappi on 06-08-2009 at 01:15 PM

Would opening certain WLM 2009 ports help?
Or the use of Window's Firewall ICMP system would be any good?

are your friends computers running behind routers as well?

RE: Lost messages by Spunky on 06-08-2009 at 03:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Schnappi
Would opening certain WLM 2009 ports help?
Or the use of Window's Firewall ICMP system would be any good?

are your friends computers running behind routers as well?

Unlikely, I think it still only uses port 1863 for messages and I would doubt a router would explicitly block it.

It may help to know what some of the messages are as there are banned words and it may not be telling you when a message is blocked.
RE: Lost messages by CookieRevised on 06-09-2009 at 09:20 AM

quote:
I have uninstalled all scripts/skins, including Plus! itself but this problem still happens.
I do notice this problem more on WLM 2009 compared against the previous version (8.5).

Can the windows live team at least implement an automatic ping command to let the sender know if his/her message has been succesfully delivered?
What's the purpose of an excellent IM program when messages don't get delivered at a 100% rate? Do take this seriously please.
Or at least state the reason(s) for this problem.

Thanks if anyone reads this.
Unfortunatly (for you) the only people who would read this are the forum users. The people for whom this is intended wont read it here.

As Halacs pointed out, you better contact Messenger support if you want anything done. And they will try to help you (despite what some people might claim), eventhough it might take a while for your problem to escalte to the right people (MS is a huge company which has a massive tech support team and the problem must filter thru the correct people, this can take a while and a lot of communication between you and them).

Halacs' list of observations like he post above is an excellent example of how to report such problems to MS; very detailed and as accurate as possible. The more you write something like that (opposed to "it doesnt work" or "messages get lost") the more they will be able to investigate and help you (and other users who don't notice those problems).

big tip: Test everything without any addon and highly stress on the fact that you have the very same problems without any addon installed. Otherwise the chance is very high that your problem will quickly be dismissed as a 3rd party problem.

good luck ;)
RE: Lost messages by Schnappi on 06-09-2009 at 02:38 PM

what you mean by contact messenger support?
by email or through the sending feedback option?

And also, I just noticed some advanced options in my ethernet card options.

[Image: 32111896.png]

Would adjusting these settings help to solve my problem?

RE: Lost messages by Halacs on 06-10-2009 at 04:39 PM

Here is the last reply from Windows Live Messenger Global Escalations:

Hi Gábor,
Thank you for clarification.  I understand your point. 
I just would like to add, issues on third-party add-ons were already proven causing problems like I mentioned on my recent e-mail.  Maybe user A does not have it installed but user B is having problems, for example, receiving IMs from user A.  This is because user B has third-party program/s installed.  I also acknowledge the fact that this issue occurs sporadically.  That is why we cannot recommend and give warranty regarding the performance of these products.   
Moving forward, I will further investigate this issue and will definitely get back to you as soon as I have additional information or additional troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. For now, I will look at all the resources that I have as well as the information we have gathered from you.
Please know that your time and patience is greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a great day.
Regards,
Manny
Windows Live Messenger Global Escalations

RE: Lost messages by Schnappi on 06-11-2009 at 05:19 AM

awww I think their servers are not able to cope with the increased load in messages send to and fro.
I notice this problem more during peak hours though.

would sending them my connection log help?
or is there a guide somewhere to understand the log's terminology?

RE: Lost messages by Halacs on 08-28-2009 at 01:54 PM

I sent a message to Microsoft on 2 July 2009, but I've no got answer yet.

Hi,

I'm writing to you because of my earlier letter. You have written, that you'll write, if you find the problem, but I didn't get that answer for a month. We still have the problem.

I appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Gábor

RE: Lost messages by Jolo on 09-02-2009 at 03:34 AM

I'm having the exactly same problem since several months ago, without solution.

One thing in common: DD-WRT V24 SP1 on my Linksys WRT350N.

I'm switching back to official Router Firmware temporary tomorrow in order to diagnose this issue.

Jolo.

RE: Lost messages by Schnappi on 09-02-2009 at 10:20 AM

I have a linksys router too and im having this problem everytime i idle for > 5 mins in an open conversation session.

What gives?

RE: Lost messages by Halacs on 09-03-2009 at 08:09 AM

Here is the reply from Windows Live Messenger Global Escalations. I have even tried Windows Live Messneger 2009 without add-ons on a completely fresh Windows XP install at July. Modified any components since that time? I write back to support with this question.

Hi Gábor,

It seems that my e-mails with attachement was filtered and deleted before reaching your mailbox.  Nevertheless, I did find a way to further assist you by giving you links to Windows Live Skydrive wherein you can download the files.  Here we go:

Please make sure that Windows Live Messenger is not running:
-      Click on Start button > Run > and then type the following:  taskmgr
-      Click on OK.
-      Click on msnmsgr.exe under Processes.
-      Hit the End Process button.

1.       Download Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and install it on your system. This tool will help you remove the installer files for the said corrupted programs on your computer. To download, visit http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/9/d/e9d8...d5e1bd/msicuu2.exe

2.       Once Windows Installer Cleanup Utility is installed, Click on Start and look for Windows Install Clean Up on the list of installed programs and click on it.

3.       On the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility window, search for the following items:
(All Users) Windows Live Communications Platform [14.0.8064.206]
(All Users) Windows Live Call [14.0.8064.0206]
(All Users) Windows Live Messenger [14.0.8064.0206]

Select the entries one by one and then click on Remove.

4.       Download the RegDLLs.zip at the following URL: http://cid-65825a3320341c04.skydrive.live.com/bro...isFromRichUpload=1 , extract, and then right-click on the extracted file and select Run as Administrator.

5.       Visit http://cid-b6cd734ce6be71f7.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Public and then download the following files and install them in the order listed:
Dr. Watson 2.0 - dw20shared.msi
Microsoft Virtual Studio Runtime - crt.msi
Windows Live Call - wlc.msi
Windows Live Communications Platform - Contacts.msi

Visit: http://download.live.com to download the new build of Windows Live Messenger
              Follow the on-screen instructions

6.       Reboot the computer and then delete the Windows Live Contacts folder.

Click Start, Click Run, type %userprofile%\local settings\application data\Microsoft\ and delete the Windows Live Contacts folder.

ˇ         Restart the computer and try again.

I am looking forward to resolving your issue.

Thanks,

Manny
Windows Live Messenger Global Escalations

RE: Lost messages by Schnappi on 09-03-2009 at 08:12 PM

so after you did the above does the problem still occur?

RE: Lost messages by Halacs on 09-04-2009 at 11:53 AM

I dont know. I still not followed this instruction, because I have even tried WLM on a completely fresh WinXP install in July.
Support have writting that remove WLM with all component and reinstall that. What do you think?
Lately I'm not using the messenger so often.

RE: Lost messages by Halacs on 09-06-2009 at 08:09 AM

Letter from support:

Hi Gábor,

The new build of Windows Live Messenger is available for downloading on August 19, 2009. 

Let me know if the issue persists after performing the suggested troubleshooting steps.

Best regards,

Manny

> Hi,
>
> I have even tried Windows Live Messenger 2009 (Build: 14.0.8064.206) on a completely fresh Windows XP install in July (all update installed from Windows Update site).
> Modified any components since that time?
>
> Sincerely,
> Gábor

RE: Lost messages by Jolo on 09-07-2009 at 12:00 PM

After switching from a DD-WRT firmware to the original Linksys firmware on my Router, the problem has been apparently fixed. No more lost messages since 5 days.

I'm reporting this issue to the DD-WRT forum.

Cheers.

RE: Lost messages by Halacs on 09-07-2009 at 01:16 PM

I have even tried Windows Live Messenger 2009 (Build: 14.0.8064.206) without router and with router what not use DD-WRT firmware.

The support created new build for the issue, and we check now the solution.

If you experince the issue, you will must follow above steps.

RE: Lost messages by Schnappi on 09-08-2009 at 09:29 AM

where can i download the original linksys firmware for my router? (WCG200)

RE: Lost messages by Halacs on 11-30-2009 at 03:47 PM

I received last letter from Support on October 10. Support said:"We will contact you again as soon as we come up with the useful information."
I sent a new letter to Support on October 20 and on October 29, because I haven't get any answer for two month.
I am waiting now again...

RE: Lost messages by Ross on 02-20-2010 at 04:21 PM

Dear guys!

I was having the similar problem not only with Windows Live Messenger but also with MSN plugin of Miranda instant messenger (i use only the latest 2009 versions of miranda and msn).

This makes me think, the problem can not be related to MSN addons.

Do your routers have UPnP enabled?

UPnP is a technology that enables Live Messenger to temporary open specific ports on the 'untrust' side of the router, and route these ports to computer where msn is installed.

Options->Connection should say "You are connected to the internet through a UPnP port restricted NAT"

In some cases UPnP is disabled/not supported by router and it says
"You are connected to the internet through a non-UPnP port restricted NAT"

I think UPnP can really be one of the possible reasons. At the moment i replaced my router with UPnP-enabled and will wait if smth changes.

RE: Lost messages by Ross on 02-24-2010 at 02:08 PM

3 days after router change - no messages lost. So I can say that UPnP really matters in this problem.

RE: Lost messages by Schnappi on 03-01-2010 at 06:10 PM

I tried enabling UPnP but after sometime, messenger detects it as"You are connected to the internet through a non-UPnP port restricted NAT" again... not a permanent solution i guess

RE: Lost messages by gaara20 on 04-15-2010 at 12:23 AM

Im having this problem to. It seems some messages dont reach me and some of my messages dont reach the destination, It doesn't say "unable to send message", it doesnt say anything. This is quite bad, because sometimes it can kill a conversion, because the contact doesnt reply when you have indded send a message but he didnt receive so hes "waiting for your reply".

RE: RE: Lost messages by Spazy on 04-15-2010 at 10:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gaara20
Im having this problem to. It seems some messages dont reach me and some of my messages dont reach the destination, It doesn't say "unable to send message", it doesnt say anything. This is quite bad, because sometimes it can kill a conversion, because the contact doesnt reply when you have indded send a message but he didnt receive so hes "waiting for your reply".

yes exactly, this has happened to me many many times.. actually it has started some fights with my girlfriend, which btw is in another continent at the moment :P. so yeah since she, or i, have gotten just a part of the messages, there can be a huge misunderstanding at times.

this is very unacceptable me thinks :O
RE: Lost messages by Schnappi on 04-17-2010 at 06:47 AM

But the msn team doesn not seem to care about this issue because i think it only affects a pretty small percentage of users..or maybe big enough but it does not warrant attention because some people do not know they are actually having this problem.

I think this only happens if you are behind a router though :\

RE: Lost messages by CookieRevised on 04-17-2010 at 09:47 AM

quote:
But the msn team doesn not seem to care about this issue because i think it only affects a pretty small percentage of users..or maybe big enough but it does not warrant attention because some people do not know they are actually having this problem.

They care very much about it and it always warrants attention (their own personal words, said in person when we talked about it). Which is logical as this is the core business of what they do: delivering messages.

The problem is however that not many people report such issues (or know how to) and if they report it, the problems are very hard to debug. Partially because you can not reproduce it out of the blue.

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?forumid=44...-9b88-c214cbe3f8c1
RE: Lost messages by Schnappi on 04-17-2010 at 02:52 PM

http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?forumid=44...-9b88-c214cbe3f8c1

So should we post our problem at the link you provided above?

If there's an easy and foolproof way to send them WLM's connection logs, that would be useful to them would they? Assuming there are no privacy concerns. But I am not sure the log is enough to trace the root of the problem.

RE: Lost messages by CookieRevised on 04-17-2010 at 03:44 PM

quote:
http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?forumid=4424d5eb-daab-43c3-9b88-c214cbe3f8c1

So should we post our problem at the link you provided above?
Yup.... Find a thread with the exact same problem (note: make absolute sure you have the _exact_ problem), or create a new one.

People from Windows Live Support and other 'officials' (like some MVPs) are present there and might be able to help you further. You recognize them by the "Windows Live" prefix in there name.

quote:
If there's an easy and foolproof way to send them WLM's connection logs, that would be useful to them would they? Assuming there are no privacy concerns. But I am not sure the log is enough to trace the root of the problem.
Yes. If they need such logs they will ask for them and you'll be able to send it to them. But indeed, never send such logs just out of the blue on public forums though, as they can contain private information from you and your contacts.

Also note that on those official forums the WL Support people can start a private thread/message system with you if it is needed.
RE: RE: Lost messages by gaara20 on 04-17-2010 at 06:31 PM

quote:

Yes, im behind a router, and its really annoying because you dont know which messages have been sent or not. Im thinking now that at some conversations the contacts didn't reply so that was odd. I do sometimes get the "unable to send message" for only some times.