Shoutbox

Resizing .avi - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Resizing .avi (/showthread.php?tid=88691)

Resizing .avi by djdannyp on 01-25-2009 at 11:11 AM

I got a new camera recently and tested it out last night at a concert.

I took LOADS of video and it's brilliant except for the huge file sizes.  I had all the settings set to full and the video has come out well, but it's just too big.

700mb for 10mins

What I wanna know is if there's an easy way to reduce the filesize for several avis, whilst maintaining the format....a piece of free software or something.

I'm quite happy to play around with settings for different levels of quality to get a balance between file size and quality.....but I don't know what software to try

Any suggestions?

RE: Resizing .avi by Thor on 01-25-2009 at 12:03 PM

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

:-->

RE: Resizing .avi by Wally on 01-25-2009 at 03:31 PM

WinAvi Video converter if you want it pm me.

RE: Resizing .avi by Spunky on 01-25-2009 at 03:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wally
WinAvi Video converter if you want it pm me.

Or search for a torrent ;)
RE: Resizing .avi by Matti on 01-25-2009 at 05:45 PM

What about VirtualDub?

RE: RE: Resizing .avi by djdannyp on 01-26-2009 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matti
What about VirtualDub?

We have a winner :)

2.5GB of videos down to 277MB :D
RE: Resizing .avi by user27089 on 01-26-2009 at 09:37 PM

Remember that the audio/visual quality will be reduced massively, so make sure you never, ever delete or modify the original file, you can get a massive external hard drive now, just stick all of your original files on one. When some friends and I were doing Skarz, a friend modified the original footage, so what we essentially had to do was cut stuff that had incomplete songs on etc, so we had no sound.

Plus if you're at a concert, you want the audio quality to be superb, and if it's a visual concert like Radiohead or Muse, then you want the quality too...

What a dilemma.

RE: RE: Resizing .avi by djdannyp on 01-26-2009 at 10:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Remember that the audio/visual quality will be reduced massively, so make sure you never, ever delete or modify the original file, you can get a massive external hard drive now, just stick all of your original files on one. When some friends and I were doing Skarz, a friend modified the original footage, so what we essentially had to do was cut stuff that had incomplete songs on etc, so we had no sound.

Plus if you're at a concert, you want the audio quality to be superb, and if it's a visual concert like Radiohead or Muse, then you want the quality too...

What a dilemma.

I'm gonna keep the original files, gonna put them on a DVD.

To be honest i was far enough back that the video wasn't fantastic quality to start with anyway, it was only filmed on a digital camera (as opposed to something higher powered) and little or no audio quality has been reduced (as it was only a negligable part of the file, size-wise).

It's not like i'm short of space, i've got ~2TB.....I just think that 2.3gb for 40 mins of low-qual footage is a bit overkill :P

This is a brilliant solution cos it means i can record at highest quality (as I've got 4GB worth of cards), but then just reduce the quality afterwards as necessary for storing with the photos.

And you can queue operations with that VirtualDub too, so I set them all up this morning and left it going while I was at work :D