Shoutbox

create playlists similar songs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: create playlists similar songs (/showthread.php?tid=88723)

create playlists similar songs by Voldemort on 01-26-2009 at 09:59 PM

hey people, what i wanna do is to automagically create playlists of similar songs that i have on my library. I know about iTunes Genius feature, but it chooses songs not by their characteristics, it chooses similar songs based on people's choices on the iTunes store. What i want is similar to pandora, using only songs in my library...
thanks people!

RE: create playlists similar songs by user27089 on 01-26-2009 at 10:11 PM

Sort by Genre, not sure what you're using, if it's iTunes, go to View > Preferences, and add the "genre" option, then just press the new sort option, and it'll sort them into the subsequent genre, followed by artist, then album :).

RE: create playlists similar songs by Voldemort on 01-26-2009 at 10:16 PM

no, what i want is similar songs as in software that analyzes a song's composition and creates a playlist with songs of a similar composition, like Pandora.com (i believe last.fm has something similar too)

RE: create playlists similar songs by toddy on 01-26-2009 at 10:29 PM

i'd be surprised if software like this exists, i'd guess that sites like last.fm do it in person

RE: create playlists similar songs by Voldemort on 01-26-2009 at 10:34 PM

last.fm can do it that way, but Pandora's is software based (I think Spotify's is too)

RE: create playlists similar songs by toddy on 01-26-2009 at 10:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
but Pandora's is software based
never used pandora, and no non US users so can't look

how does it work? upload a song, then tells you songs you mite like ?
RE: RE: create playlists similar songs by Voldemort on 01-26-2009 at 10:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
quote:

no, you put the name of a song, and it selects and streams similar songs from their database.. been ages since i used it, as they blocked mexico too
RE: create playlists similar songs by toddy on 01-26-2009 at 10:56 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

no, you put the name of a song, and it selects and streams similar songs from their database.. been ages since i used it, as they blocked mexico too
again, isn't it more likely to be done of the back of human comparison?

the software would have to be very advanced, take massive's of ram, and take forever to run.
for it to work properly it would have break down every song on your computer into beat count, rhythm, instruments used, vocals or none/dub, type of vocals, etc then compare that to every other song on your machine. once its then found ones that are likely to be a match, it muct then actually compare the song to each other. e.g. you could have 2 songs with the same beat count, rhythm, same pitch of vocals, etc but one could be about killing yourself and the other about how good life is. you wouldn't want them playing in the same group, would you
RE: RE: create playlists similar songs by segosa on 01-26-2009 at 11:00 PM

quote:

the software would have to be very advanced, take massive's of ram, and take forever to run.
for it to work properly it would have break down every song on your computer into beat count, rhythm, instruments used, vocals or none/dub, type of vocals, etc then compare that to every other song on your machine.

Wow, you're right. It's not like computers were meant for that kind of arduous task or anything.
RE: create playlists similar songs by ddunk on 01-26-2009 at 11:02 PM

I personally haven't used anything outside of what's been mentioned (Pandora, last.fm, spotify and itunes) so I can't vouch for any of these, but what you're looking for is called a "music recommender."

http://lists.econsultant.com/top-best-music-recommender-websites.html

RE: create playlists similar songs by Voldemort on 01-26-2009 at 11:04 PM

quote:
for it to work properly it would have break down every song on your computer into beat count, rhythm, instruments used, vocals or none/dub, type of vocals, etc then compare that to every other song on your machine. once its then found ones that are likely to be a match, it muct then actually compare the song to each other. e.g. you could have 2 songs with the same beat count, rhythm, same pitch of vocals, etc but one could be about killing yourself and the other about how good life is. you wouldn't want them playing in the same group, would you

it relies on both, but mostly computer processing.
RE: RE: create playlists similar songs by djdannyp on 01-26-2009 at 11:05 PM

quote:
quote:

I'd imagine it would be run largely by computer but then just be checked over by people to check that nothing stupid (such as the above example) has occurred.

personally I think that iTunes genius does a pretty decent job of putting songs together, cos obviously it's got millions of users acting as the processing unit, although it's obviously not quite so technical, I don't think it can be with music
RE: create playlists similar songs by Voldemort on 01-26-2009 at 11:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
I'd imagine it would be run largely by computer but then just be checked over by people to check that nothing stupid (such as the above example) has occurred.
what i mean by human interactions is listeners that click thumbs up if they think that song  belongs to a certain chan and thumbs down if the song doesn't belong there
RE: create playlists similar songs by toddy on 01-26-2009 at 11:16 PM

quote:
quote:

software is used to find matches, but songs are broken down by humans

"To create a song's genome, it is analyzed by a musician in a process that takes 20 to 30 minutes per song"

RE: create playlists similar songs by toddy on 01-26-2009 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by segosa
Wow, you're right. It's not like computers were meant for that kind of arduous task or anything.
aye this is the kind of task that the standard home pc was build for, and would excel at...:rolleyes:

RE: create playlists similar songs by ShawnZ on 01-26-2009 at 11:53 PM

quote:
quote:
aye this is the kind of task that the standard home pc was build for, and would excel at...:rolleyes:

because it can't be done by the pandora server or anything
RE: RE: create playlists similar songs by segosa on 01-27-2009 at 12:08 AM

quote:
quote:

You underestimate the power of the common processor these days. Analysing all your songs and comparing them is more than doable within a reasonable timeframe.
RE: create playlists similar songs by toddy on 01-27-2009 at 12:15 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

You underestimate the power of the common processor these days. Analysing all your songs and comparing them is more than doable within a reasonable timeframe.
feel free to start writing the program then
RE: create playlists similar songs by Spunky on 01-27-2009 at 12:19 AM

Virtual Mixing tables can detect beats and other acoustic variations on the fly in a matter of a couple of seconds (on my old 1.6Ghz AMD Athlon 1900) so I'm sure something could analyze a song faster now and compare it to others. It'd probably take about as long per song as adding the same song to the iTunes library ^o)

RE: create playlists similar songs by Mike on 01-27-2009 at 12:23 PM

Use Tor to access Pandora :P

RE: create playlists similar songs by Voldemort on 01-27-2009 at 09:26 PM

no, what i want is to set playlists of similar songs on my ipod :P

mike: Tor sucks @ streams... or at least it did for me

RE: create playlists similar songs by Voldemort on 01-28-2009 at 04:06 AM

apologies for the double post, but this is exactly what i need: http://hop.at/mirage/ << that's only for linux, though :(