Shoutbox

[Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat (/showthread.php?tid=88818)

[Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by x.iso on 01-30-2009 at 11:33 PM

here some suggestion about tabs, I guess this can save some huge space:
[Image: tabbedconvo.jpg]

as far as I know, something like this can be done by combination of skinnig and programming (which is pretty the same thing).

also automatic width resize can be added for small DP's, but I don't know if it would be even possible to move tabs to up (like they are in current version), when dp's are hidden.

RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by djdannyp on 01-31-2009 at 12:57 AM

There is already an option to show tabs on the left, however it shows them to the left of the display pictures, because as you've pointed out, hiding the display pictures would cause the tabs to be hidden too.

Also, the way they are currently means that they are outside the chat window, where as your suggestion means that they would be inside the chat window and it doesn't have quite the right aesthetics....it would be like using the middle of a book to turn a page, instead of the edge

RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by x.iso on 01-31-2009 at 01:07 AM

well, if you would be able to scroll this list just by hovering and scrolling, that would be much better and faster than clicking arrows on the top panel. of course I understand that technically it's totally different way to show tabs, especially it would be hard to make possible switch tabs position on the way, based on hidden dp's. but this concept is worth thinking of how to make it real.

RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by Basilis on 01-31-2009 at 12:23 PM

I like this idea. It looks well organized in my opinion if the tabs were in this way. There could just be an option to display them at that place, at the top or at the left.

RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by x.iso on 01-31-2009 at 05:14 PM

I'm currently using tabs on the left and found it quite bloating, even if I have enough chat winows to fill vertical space, still empty space between DP's annoying me, because it could be used. Also, I noticed some interesting screenshot from Windows Live newsletter:

[Image: wlmnwl.jpg]

As you can see, this covers both: space between dp's and background pictures. I really hope they planning to update messenger this way.

RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by Menthix on 01-31-2009 at 06:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by x.iso
As you can see, this covers both: space between dp's and background pictures. I really hope they planning to update messenger this way.
Interesting observation. Looks nice, but would waste a lot of space when your contact uses a rectangle dynamic display picture... on the other hand a lot less space is wasted on the left. Hmmm... knowing Microsoft it could be one of the early wave 4 builds.
RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by x.iso on 01-31-2009 at 07:40 PM

Actually, if they move DP's back to the right side, than it's possible to fill all the space around, and for right-to-left languages leave DP's on the left side.

RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by Menthix on 01-31-2009 at 09:34 PM

True, but I doubt they'll move the DPs back to the right that fast after the switch :).

RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by x.iso on 01-31-2009 at 10:31 PM

That's why I started this suggestion :D If they will not update layout, than we should get rid of wasted space.

RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by blessedguy on 01-31-2009 at 10:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
True, but I doubt they'll move the DPs back to the right that fast after the switch :).
Well, Apple changed the "fat" iPod nano to the "slim" really quickly... why can't microsoft do that? =P
RE: RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by djdannyp on 01-31-2009 at 10:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Well, Apple changed the "fat" iPod nano to the "slim" really quickly... why can't microsoft do that? =P

it took nearly 2 years for the mini to become the nano, lol

and that was a clear case of progression.....left dp vs right dp is just a matter of choice.......and i'm sure that in a few weeks when everyone has got used to it, they won't care

and if they do.......then that's what skinning is for :P
RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by blessedguy on 01-31-2009 at 10:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
i'm sure that in a few weeks when everyone has got used to it, they won't care

and if they do.......then that's what skinning is for :P
People have to care about it =O
Then they will always have a reason to use skins =)
RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by riahc4 on 01-31-2009 at 11:53 PM

On this subject of improve tabs for tabbed chat, why not have "Tab Previews (thumbnails)"?

RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by x.iso on 02-01-2009 at 12:01 AM

yes, even if tabs enabled, we should have previews also, it's especially handy with Windows 7 task bar.

RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by djdannyp on 02-01-2009 at 12:13 AM

The tab previews is a known issue and something that Patchou would love to find a workaround for

I'm sure if there was something he could do about it then he would.

Perhaps the new Windows 7 preview display will provide further insight for him on how to make it work, but for now you'll just have to put up with it

RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by NanaFreak on 02-01-2009 at 12:18 AM

only problem with having the tabs between the display pictures is that i have them hidden... so i would not be able to see my tabbed chats =\

RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by x.iso on 02-01-2009 at 12:23 AM

only workaround for this issue is temporary moving tabs to left or top like they use to be currently, when hiding the dp's (this often happens because of photoshare feature).

RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by riahc4 on 02-01-2009 at 12:23 AM

quote:
The tab previews is a known issue and something that Patchou would love to find a workaround for

A known issue? AFAIK, there is no Tab Previews.

And there is no workaround; The "problem" is that that Patchou has to write it up himself because he can't use the Windows API (the Windows API for thumbnail previews is only avaliable in Windows Vista not Windows XP although he could port it somehow....)
RE: RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by djdannyp on 02-01-2009 at 12:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4

That is the issue, lol
RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by riahc4 on 02-01-2009 at 12:27 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by riahc4

That is the issue, lol
...right.
RE: [Suggestion] Improved tabs for tabbed chat by limeares on 02-09-2009 at 06:07 PM

I love this idea. As basilis said, could be changed by an option.