Shoutbox

ISO Programs - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: ISO Programs (/showthread.php?tid=88821)

ISO Programs by YourNeibour on 01-31-2009 at 04:31 AM

Hi,

Does anyone know of any good free ISO programs that I can create an ISO with?

thanks

RE: ISO Programs by MeEtc on 01-31-2009 at 04:57 AM

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/

RE: ISO Programs by ShawnZ on 01-31-2009 at 09:00 AM

anyone who doesn't say "imgburn" is wrong. it is, in fact, the best iso creation/cd burning/cd backup/etc utility currently in existence. if you don't agree, then you obviously havent used it.

http://imgburn.com/

RE: ISO Programs by Chris4 on 01-31-2009 at 09:10 AM

I've used InfraRecorder since I first tried Ubuntu. Does the job.

RE: ISO Programs by ShawnZ on 01-31-2009 at 09:25 AM

seriously. meetc and chris4, use imgburn for 5 seconds. then your reply will be the same as mine.

RE: ISO Programs by Chris4 on 01-31-2009 at 09:37 AM

Ok, I'm using it.

What's so good about it?

RE: ISO Programs by ShawnZ on 01-31-2009 at 09:39 AM

everything. it does everything. it has every possible feature you could ever use. it is *the* swiss army knife of burning tools.

RE: ISO Programs by Chris4 on 01-31-2009 at 09:46 AM

Lol. I'll use it next time I need to burn an iso ;)

RE: RE: ISO Programs by Vilkku on 01-31-2009 at 09:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
anyone who doesn't say "imgburn" is wrong. it is, in fact, the best iso creation/cd burning/cd backup/etc utility currently in existence. if you don't agree, then you obviously havent used it.

I have to agree. I used to use some other freeware ones like BurnAware CDBurnerXP, and I ditched them for imgburn. It rocks.
RE: RE: ISO Programs by andrewdodd13 on 01-31-2009 at 11:29 AM

quote:

I disagree that it's only amazing cause of all the image burning stuff.

It also goes "OH NO!" when you coaster a disc... :)
RE: ISO Programs by Felu on 01-31-2009 at 02:04 PM

quote:

You surely haven't heard of or used PowerISO in that case. It isn't free, but you know there are ways to get it without spending any money...
RE: ISO Programs by ShawnZ on 01-31-2009 at 03:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Felu
quote:

You surely haven't heard of or used PowerISO in that case. It isn't free, but you know there are ways to get it without spending any money...

i have used poweriso actually :p
RE: ISO Programs by lizard.boy on 01-31-2009 at 04:12 PM

quote:
everything. it does everything. it has every possible feature you could ever use. it is *the* swiss army knife of burning tools.

Unless you want to burn an audio CD.
Or do a disc copy in one step.

quote:

free > "free"

Anyways, ImgBurn ftw.
RE: ISO Programs by Spunky on 01-31-2009 at 04:20 PM

Magic ISO Maker. But you need the full version to burn files over 300MB I think

RE: ISO Programs by MeEtc on 01-31-2009 at 04:27 PM

I despise of PowerISO, main reason being its proprietary image format. No thanks.

The link I posted is probably one of the very first imaging tools created, back when XP betas were first released as ISO. Its a shell extension, adds a context menu item to folders, and there's no actual executable. Its small, quick and does what its meant to do, no fancy extras needed.

RE: ISO Programs by YourNeibour on 02-01-2009 at 04:40 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone

RE: RE: ISO Programs by Wally on 02-01-2009 at 07:34 AM

quote:
quote:

I have to agree with you on this one PowerISO ftw!
RE: ISO Programs by ShawnZ on 02-01-2009 at 11:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy

actually imgburn can do audio CDs now :p

tools > create CD CUE file, then burn it
RE: RE: ISO Programs by andrewdodd13 on 02-01-2009 at 11:27 AM

quote:
quote:

I honestly for the life of me cannot remember the last time I actually burned an audio CD, but thanks for this tip...
RE: ISO Programs by Quantum on 02-01-2009 at 01:02 PM

I doubt imgburn is better then nero ?

RE: ISO Programs by Menthix on 02-01-2009 at 01:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Quantum
I dumped Nero for ImgBurn a long time ago and never looked back. Just because Nero has massive loads of features doesn't make it a better product. Nero is overdeveloped, they introduce new features just for the sake of bringing out a new version.

I want my burning app to burn and rip discs... I don't want it to be a meadia player, movie editor, backup program and who know what else. They are way more competent apps out for those tasks.

And like said before, ImgBurn is free, which automatically makes if better than so many paid apps.
quote:
free > "free"

RE: RE: ISO Programs by Vilkku on 02-01-2009 at 01:40 PM

quote:
I lol'd.
RE: ISO Programs by Jarrod on 02-02-2009 at 12:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
I dumped Nero for ImgBurn a long time ago and never looked back. Just because Nero has massive loads of features doesn't make it a better product. Nero is overdeveloped, they introduce new features just for the sake of bringing out a new version.

I want my burning app to burn and rip discs... I don't want it to be a meadia player, movie editor, backup program and who know what else. They are way more competent apps out for those tasks.

And like said before, ImgBurn is free, which automatically makes if better than so many paid apps.
quote:
free > "free"

nero fails in image burning, heres the test for a good iso burner, put your windows disc in, click copy disc, burn a new one boot off the new one,
if you used nero or some other shit it will fail, if you used clone cd img burn magic iso or power iso it will boot and thats why nero fails
i use image burn portable more than anything else, but magic iso, power iso and clone cd all have their uses and features that depend on the task

RE: ISO Programs by lizard.boy on 02-02-2009 at 02:33 PM

quote:
quote:

Ah, Thanks! I stand corrected.

Also: Jarrod: Last time I used Nero to copy a Windows CD, it booted fine as far as I can remember (But it's been awhile).
RE: ISO Programs by Spunky on 02-02-2009 at 03:19 PM

quote:
Also: Jarrod: Last time I used Nero to copy a Windows CD, it booted fine as far as I can remember (But it's been awhile).

I've only ever used Nero and it works perfectly for Windows CDs
RE: RE: ISO Programs by djdannyp on 02-02-2009 at 04:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:

Same here.

Contrary to what someone posted earlier, I like that Nero is all in one...particularly the main app, the cover designer (for lightscribe) and nero vision (for making dvds readable by regular dvd players for people stuck in the dark ages :P)
RE: ISO Programs by Jarrod on 02-02-2009 at 07:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:

ok my bad, since it's been a while since i used nero, but it was sometimes the case, as thats is why i don't use nero anymore, i guess they fixed the lack of boot sector support in some of the newer releases
RE: ISO Programs by CookieRevised on 02-02-2009 at 11:28 PM

Nero FTW! (the full proper version of course, not the cut down version which often comes with DVDplayers)

It isn't free, but it has tons of options. Options which most other (free) burning tools do not have. Though, if all you care about is burning, ripping, etc in the quickest and most convenient way than Nero might not be the thing you want. Nero is more for the 'power user' who whish to set every possible bit and option to its hand or burn very specialized stuff.

Thus for the normal 'quick n dirty' burning needs, without the need to know too much about disc formats, burning, compiling and mastering then ImgBurn (or the likes) is better. But if you want to play around with the many ins and outs of all the different disc formats then Nero is a wise choice....

(and I also like the fact that Nero is a suite, containing all-in-one, though you can choose which components you want. Nothing else needed (well except for CloneCD once in a while :p))

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
Nero fails in image burning, heres the test for a good iso burner, put your windows disc in, click copy disc, burn a new one boot off the new one,
if you used nero or some other shit it will fail, if you used clone cd img burn magic iso or power iso it will boot and thats why nero fails
I never had any problems with Nero when copying bootable CDs, including Windows CDs and I use Nero since a very very long time (even pre-xp IIRC) to backup everything.

RE: ISO Programs by Adeptus on 02-03-2009 at 04:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
ok my bad, since it's been a while since i used nero, but it was sometimes the case, as thats is why i don't use nero anymore, i guess they fixed the lack of boot sector support in some of the newer releases
It was the case when you burned a coaster, perhaps. 

Nero Burning ROM (yes, lame name) has had boot sector support forever.  Nero Express didn't last time I looked.  However, even that doesn't matter one bit in your example of copying a CD; the boot sector support is for creating your own bootable CD, which you may need to do if you are slipstreaming Windows, for example.  Anything that can copy a CD will also correctly copy a bootable CD.
RE: ISO Programs by davidpolitis on 02-03-2009 at 07:35 AM

:( Nobody uses UltraISO except for me :P