Shoutbox

Money... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Money... (/showthread.php?tid=88835)

Money... by bobby2000 on 01-31-2009 at 08:21 PM

Heya guys,
I'm 16 and currently in fultime education. I've been looking everywhere, and i mean everywhere, trying to find a part time weekend job but due to the current "economic crisis" nobody in my area has any work going at all. Another issue i have is the times i could work due to me being a part of every youth politics organisation going and running most of these!

Does anyone have any original online suggestions on how to make enough money to survive on as an average teenager?

Thanks!

RE: Money... by toddy on 01-31-2009 at 08:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bobby2000
average teenager
quote:
youth politics organisation

lol

RE: Money... by bobby2000 on 01-31-2009 at 08:29 PM

Lol point excepted :P but i run 3 youth councils and am part of 2 others and im running for a place on the UK youth parliament next weekend!!!

But i'm rather strapped for cash as the saying goes!

RE: Money... by toddy on 01-31-2009 at 08:32 PM

quote:

But i'm rather strapped for cash as the saying goes!
with that & school full time, whats the need for money

if you want to be like the average teenager, live off mummy n daddy :p
RE: Money... by bobby2000 on 01-31-2009 at 08:41 PM

lol not possible. i do have a bit of a social life :P from time to time! But the money is really needed :( the parents have very little atm so i really need to find some money somewhere!

maybe i should see how many people on the internet would spare me a couple of quid through paypal or the such :P

RE: Money... by bobby2000 on 01-31-2009 at 08:44 PM

lol there are more people than you think taking part in youth politics in the UK !! there's at least 5 of us!

actually.. the young essex assembly has 70ish not bad!

and if any of you are feeling at all sorry for me (unlikely) feel free to send any money you like to me through pay pal ... jackrivers [at] hotmail [dot] co [dot] uk

Worth a shot wasn't it? but as i said. i cant scroung of the parents as they currently have Nothing and there are no jobs around for me. so any suggestions?

RE: Money... by toddy on 01-31-2009 at 08:46 PM

quote:
so any suggestions?
i hear a kidney is worth around £80K
RE: Money... by Discrate on 01-31-2009 at 08:48 PM

notice in lots of his posts he always metions the councils hes in rofl.

Anyway to actually help. Saying there is no jobs around is bullshit, there is always jobs around even if you have to clean toilets, its a job. Look in your local news paper. lol dont beg for money, its pretty pathetic no offense.

RE: Money... by bobby2000 on 01-31-2009 at 08:49 PM

// Jack runs into toddys room and steals his kidney \\

Just out of interest... where do you sell a kidney ? :P

RE: RE: Money... by bobby2000 on 01-31-2009 at 08:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate

Anyway to actually help. Saying there is no jobs around is bullshit, there is always jobs around even if you have to clean toilets, its a job. Look in your local news paper. lol dont beg for money, its pretty pathetic no offense.

Yes i have pride in what i do? is that an issue :S

Trust me, in my local area, there are NO jobs for 16 year olds at all. I've looked for quite a long time!

And it certainly wasn't begging!
RE: Money... by toddy on 01-31-2009 at 08:51 PM

quote:
Just out of interest... where do you sell a kidney ?
on the black market (mainly in dodgy countries)
RE: Money... by bobby2000 on 01-31-2009 at 08:52 PM

Ah right... does England class as dodgy?

RE: RE: RE: Money... by Discrate on 01-31-2009 at 08:53 PM

quote:
quote:

Yes i have pride in what i do? is that an issue :S

Trust me, in my local area, there are NO jobs for 16 year olds at all. I've looked for quite a long time!

And it certainly wasn't begging!

There is jobs, but you just havent found them.

I call posting your paypal on a forum asking for money, begging. Why are you desperatly in need of money? need to buy a video game? rofl
RE: Money... by toddy on 01-31-2009 at 08:58 PM

quote:
Ah right... does England class as dodgy?
advertise yourself on ebay and find out
RE: RE: RE: RE: Money... by bobby2000 on 01-31-2009 at 08:58 PM

quote:

Why are you desperatly in need of money? need to buy a video game? rofl

No. I don't do video games.

I need the money so that i can have some sort of a social life. Currently i simply can't afford to go out with mates at all which may not appear to be much to many of you but it's a pretty important thing to young people
RE: Money... by Th3rmal on 01-31-2009 at 09:06 PM

Try freelancing jobs, such as some of the ones over at www.scriptlance.com

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Money... by Discrate on 01-31-2009 at 09:28 PM

quote:
quote:

Why are you desperatly in need of money? need to buy a video game? rofl

Currently i simply can't afford to go out with mates at all which may not appear to be much to many of you but it's a pretty important thing to young people

really? is that importent to young people? we wouldn't know, we are all in our 50's. :^)
RE: Money... by djdannyp on 01-31-2009 at 09:30 PM

You have to make a choice, you can't have everything

You say that you can't be flexible on working hours because of all the youth politics.......then there's your choice....a part-time job, or the youth politics

You can't have it all....so decide which is more important to you and go with that.

I'm sure you won't have any problems finding a weekend job if you can commit to being available most of time (which is what kids have to go to get a weekend job)

RE: Money... by saralk on 01-31-2009 at 11:29 PM

if you're over 16 and in full time education, aren't you eligible for EMA?

IIRC you get up to £30 a week and bonuses for high attendance.

RE: Money... by bobby2000 on 01-31-2009 at 11:33 PM

unfortunately not because im year 11 at the moment and so cant qualify that until october

RE: Money... by Chris4 on 01-31-2009 at 11:35 PM

The only way you're going to get a part-time job is if you put the effort in. Most places don't advertise part-time jobs, you have to go around stores and hand in your CV to them. So you need a good CV (aka "resume") with a good covering letter. No crappy Word-based template, that's not going to stick out from the other 100 applications. I made mine in Photoshop. Look it up on Google.

Are you in secondary school still? Like saralk said, when you start going college, depending on your household income, you can receive up to £30 a week with EMA, and £100 bonuses twice a year I think it is. I get £10 a week *sigh* and should be getting the January bonus soon. :)

RE: Money... by Quantum on 01-31-2009 at 11:47 PM

It can go up to £60 for low income in scotland.

RE: Money... by Th3rmal on 01-31-2009 at 11:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Most places don't advertise part-time jobs, you have to go around stores and hand in your CV to them
Thats very true. Just hand in your resume to places where you would like to work, and who knows, you may find a job that way :)
RE: Money... by MeEtc on 01-31-2009 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Most places don't advertise part-time jobs, you have to go around stores and hand in your CV to them
Thats very true. Just hand in your resume to places where you would like to work, and who knows, you may find a job that way :)
Yep, was exactly what I did to get my current job.

Another thing I have done in the past was to print ads to put in peoples mailboxes for me to do odd jobs (mostly summer jobs as it was summer). I got a few replies for help, lawn mowing, pool cleaning, painting etc. Its worth a try.
RE: Money... by Quantum on 02-01-2009 at 12:20 AM

Over in the UK people would think of you as a twat if you did that :/

I don't know why cuz it's nothing un-normal.

RE: Money... by user27089 on 02-01-2009 at 12:28 AM

When I was your age I worked at Somerfield, then when I was 17 I worked at a local theatre, Next and a Chip Shop. When you're between 16 and 18 you are limited to what you'll be allowed to do, but don't be afraid to get a job that you don't feel comfortable with. I mean, working at McDonald's is frowned upon, but you will get the job really easily, with good hours and decent play. Plus, they'll be pretty leniant with you, because the managers are usually about 19 in there.

Just wander around looking for jobs, seriously.

RE: Money... by bobby2000 on 02-01-2009 at 12:32 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! I try handing in CVs to places ...

I could try giving leaflets to my neighbours offering pool cleaniing services! erm... hold on.. i might skip that one :P

RE: Money... by Phillip on 02-01-2009 at 08:12 AM

There are always jobs. Some how I don't think this "economic crisis" applys to fast food places. All you need to do is print out a whole bunch of your "CVs" and hand them in everywhere. Had a friend looking for a job and she handed in her resume/CV to every shop she wouldn't mind working in (about 30 places). She had 3 people call her up that day wanting her to come in for an interview.

Or you could just sell drugs.

RE: RE: Money... by Discrate on 02-01-2009 at 08:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
There are always jobs. Some how I don't think this "economic crisis" applys to fast food places. All you need to do is print out a whole bunch of your "CVs" and hand them in everywhere. Had a friend looking for a job and she handed in her resume/CV to every shop she wouldn't mind working in (about 30 places). She had 3 people call her up that day wanting her to come in for an interview.

or sell yourself.
RE: Money... by Th3rmal on 02-01-2009 at 09:23 AM

quote:
yea but then you have to work all the shifts =/
RE: Money... by vaccination on 02-01-2009 at 10:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Quantum
Over in the UK people would think of you as a twat if you did that :/

I don't know what it's like in Scotland, but over in England, I've never heard that.
RE: Money... by user27089 on 02-01-2009 at 10:38 AM

quote:
quote:

I like the fact that you're worried about working shifts, and not the fact that supplying illegal substances is a very severe offence. "I might kill my wife", "yeah but you'll have to do the housework after that..."
RE: Money... by toddy on 02-01-2009 at 10:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
"yeah but you'll have to do the housework after that..."
you make a strong case for her life been saved
RE: Money... by Th3rmal on 02-01-2009 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:
quote:

I like the fact that you're worried about working shifts, and not the fact that supplying illegal substances is a very severe offence. "I might kill my wife", "yeah but you'll have to do the housework after that..."
sarcasm doesnt come across very well in text, does it? :P
RE: Money... by Quantum on 02-01-2009 at 01:06 PM

How about you do this:

Make videos and propaganda about your campaign and politics club you got going. Post it on http://metacafe.com and gain £2 per 1000 views you get.

Just advertise your videos and get people to play them. Or as i posted above you can try http://bux.to

RE: Money... by bobby2000 on 02-01-2009 at 05:07 PM

Ok thanks guys, i shall of course take these on board :D