Shoutbox

The whole OK/Apply button dilemma - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma (/showthread.php?tid=88895)

The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by riahc4 on 02-02-2009 at 10:53 AM

Ive seen threads complaining about this but never actually seen a thread/poll. Lets see how this works out.

For some who may not know. Ill try to explain this.

In all OSs, the Apply button is always greyed out when you open a options dialog. It only activates when you change a setting (even if you change it and then change it back to its original setting) The proper way is you hit the Apply button to apply the settings then press the OK button although I believe if you press OK, it is like pressing Apply and then OK but with one button click. If you press Apply and then Cancel, Im not 100% sure on this but I believe it applies and saves the changed setting anyhow.
Recap:
Apply - Applies the settings and saves them directly without closing the dialog box.
Cancel - If pressed without Apply being pressed before, cancels any changes you might have made in the dialog box. If pressed with Apply being pressed before, discards any changes you have made currently while the dialog box is open but saves any settings changed up until you press the Apply button and closes the dialog
OK - Applies the settings and saves them closing the dialog box too.

Now onto Plus!

Plus!' options has a strange way of working that the Apply button is actually always activated. The proper way would be that Apply is activated only when a change is made. It would make Plus! alot more professional.

So what do you think: Leave the way Plus! currently works or change it to the way that OSs work?

RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by Menthix on 02-02-2009 at 11:06 AM

I miss the option "Never bothered me, don't care".

RE: RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by djdannyp on 02-02-2009 at 11:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX

Not voting implies that option ;)
RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by toddy on 02-02-2009 at 11:11 AM

quote:
x2
RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by Th3rmal on 02-02-2009 at 11:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
quote:

Not voting implies that option ;)
yea but not voting makes you feel left out :(
RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by riahc4 on 02-02-2009 at 01:36 PM

"Don't care"

Its kinda impossible that you not notice this....

RE: RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by djdannyp on 02-02-2009 at 01:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
"Don't care"

Whether it's noticed or not isn't the issue.

Noticing something and caring about it are two wildly different things.

Personally I don't see it as much of a problem.....it hasn't caused ANY problems (certainly not ones reported on here) and therefore i stand by the old adage "if it aint broke, don't fix it"
RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by Spunky on 02-02-2009 at 01:43 PM

I've never noticed the difference. So, you can always click apply even if no changes are made? Big deal. It's easier to apply than check for anything changing ^o)

RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by Menthix on 02-02-2009 at 02:31 PM

quote:
It's also impossible not no notice you needed to Press "Start" in order to find the shutdown button on Windows 95 through XP. Yet nobody at Microsoft cared enough until Vista.
RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by riahc4 on 02-02-2009 at 03:05 PM

Its not about its a big deal or not....I know its something nonimportant but professionally I think personally it should be fixed.

quote:
quote:
It's also impossible not no notice you needed to Press "Start" in order to find the shutdown button on Windows 95 through XP. Yet nobody at Microsoft cared enough until Vista.
Start shutdown

Makes sense to me.
RE: RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by CookieRevised on 02-02-2009 at 03:55 PM

I voted for a change. Not because it troubles me (it actually doesn't), but simply because it is more consistant with the way it is in the OS and because it was one of those tiny tiny things I mentioned when it first was introduced in Messenger Plus!. No biggy at all though...

quote:
quote:
quote:
Start shutdown

Makes sense to me.
Is actually the exact way I have always looked at it, until a few years ago when someone said something about how stupid that is (probably an MS-hater)... It all depends on the way you look at it I guess. I don't have any problem with clicking on start to _start_ the shutdown procedure... makes sense to me...

Because, if you look at it in the literal way those purists do, then "Shutdown" isn't correct either because it wont shut down your computer immediatly and you can even choose to restart or hybernate etc which isn't shutting down your computer at all.... And there are probably many more things and examples like that in modern computer usage. People saying it is inlogic or stupid are just nitpicking in search for something to say bad about MS... (as if they can't find anything else)... there I said it... :P
RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by riahc4 on 02-02-2009 at 06:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I voted for a change. Not because it troubles me (it actually doesn't), but simply because it is more consistant with the way it is in the OS and because it was one of those tiny tiny things I mentioned when it first was introduced in Messenger Plus!. No biggy at all though...

quote:
quote:
quote:
Start shutdown

Makes sense to me.
Is actually the exact way I have always looked at it, until a few years ago when someone said something about how stupid that is (probably an MS-hater)... It all depends on the way you look at it I guess. I don't have any problem with clicking on start to _start_ the shutdown procedure... makes sense to me...

Because, if you look at it in the literal way those purists do, then "Shutdown" isn't correct either because it wont shut down your computer immediatly and you can even choose to restart or hybernate etc which isn't shutting down your computer at all.... And there are probably many more things and examples like that in modern computer usage. People saying it is inlogic or stupid are just nitpicking in search for something to say bad about MS... (as if they can't find anything else)... there I said it... :P
:-O

Something me and Cookie agree on. This is a dark dark day :P

Anyhow, it does make sense because you want to start something...
Start hibernation...
Start a program...
Start shutdown (process)...

I don't think this is a big issue anyways but I don't think either it would cost Patchou too much trouble.
RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by Spunky on 02-02-2009 at 06:52 PM

quote:
I don't think either it would cost Patchou too much trouble

Well, no... but it's more aesthetically pleasing. The buttons don't look great when they're disabled. Then you've also got the fact that people are used to it being this way and changes will probably cause a lot of questions. There is no harm in applying settings before anything is changed.
RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by Voldemort on 02-02-2009 at 07:36 PM

of the total amount of plus! users, only .00000001% has noticed this

RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by robert_dll on 02-02-2009 at 08:25 PM

I would like to have the poll option suggested by Menthix

RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by Basilis on 02-02-2009 at 08:30 PM

I have noticed it but never bothered me. Although, the professional way is the one suggested here by riahc4 and indeed, it would be easy for Patchou to do it.

RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by riahc4 on 02-02-2009 at 08:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:
I don't think either it would cost Patchou too much trouble

Well, no... but it's more aesthetically pleasing. The buttons don't look great when they're disabled. Then you've also got the fact that people are used to it being this way and changes will probably cause a lot of questions. There is no harm in applying settings before anything is changed.

People are use to doing it the way its done in the OS.
Do you use your OS less than Messenger?

quote:
Originally posted by Basilis
I have noticed it but never bothered me. Although, the professional way is the one suggested here by riahc4 and indeed, it would be easy for Patchou to do it.
Exactly. Its all about looking more professional IMO. Nothing else.
RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by Patchou on 02-02-2009 at 10:15 PM

You're right it would be better like that. I didn't do it to avoid forgetting to add a command handler in one of the option controls to remember than an option was changed. There are so many options in the preferences in so many sub-windows, I don't want to forget about any of them.

But in any case, you'e right, it should be done like that to be consistent with most other apps in Windows.

RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by blessedguy on 02-02-2009 at 10:28 PM

=P Always liked Plus!'s current method, OSs could be like that :)
But anyway;

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I didn't do it to avoid forgetting to add a command handler in one of the option controls to remember than an option was changed. There are so many options in the preferences in so many sub-windows, I don't want to forget about any of them.
good luck!

RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by riahc4 on 02-02-2009 at 11:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blessedguy
=P Always liked Plus!'s current method, OSs could be like that :)
But anyway;
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I didn't do it to avoid forgetting to add a command handler in one of the option controls to remember than an option was changed. There are so many options in the preferences in so many sub-windows, I don't want to forget about any of them.
good luck!
Well Patchou never in post confirmed he is going to change it.
He just thinks what we all think.

RE: The whole OK/Apply button dilemma by riahc4 on 03-26-2009 at 12:03 PM

Also while I was updating Plus! today, I noticed that thruout the whole instalation it always says "Next" when in instalation programs right before the actually installation beings it says "Install". Another small but IMO professsional looking detail.