Shoutbox

Why does Russia get movies first? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Why does Russia get movies first? (/showthread.php?tid=88931)

Why does Russia get movies first? by Th3rmal on 02-03-2009 at 11:59 AM

I was wondering, why is it that Russia usually gets a majority of movies before most other countries do? I cant really think of a good explanation for it, besides that they are either paying through the nose to get it, or they are threatening them with stealing the movie producers wives or something.

Does anyone know?

RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by toddy on 02-03-2009 at 12:16 PM

read somewhere that its because most dodgy copies come from that part of the world, so to try increase sales of legit copies, they get them first.

not sure how true it is/was, but either way its rather stupid. now means they can make high quality copies

RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by djdannyp on 02-03-2009 at 12:17 PM

As in cinema releases or dvd versions?

I know there's a LOT of pirate dvd in Russia which would explain that.....but as for cinema releases......i dunno :S

RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by Phillip on 02-03-2009 at 12:19 PM

Because someone in Russia is more likely to get a hold of that video and upload it to the internet than if they were released in Australia first.

RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by prashker on 02-03-2009 at 12:20 PM

They just do, there is no reason really :p

Studios just love Russia and release earlier there :p

RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by Th3rmal on 02-03-2009 at 12:26 PM

I mean cinema releases AND dvd releases. It just baffles me that they get it sooner than countries like America and Australia :S

RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by vaccination on 02-03-2009 at 12:53 PM

Why does it matter? ;>

RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by Th3rmal on 02-03-2009 at 12:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by vaccination
Why does it matter? ;>
Well its just weird that Russia would get blockbuster movies first in cinemas and dvd yet Australia sometimes has to wait an extra like 3 months.
RE: RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by Phillip on 02-03-2009 at 12:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:
Why does it matter? ;>
Well its just weird that Russia would get blockbuster movies first in cinemas and dvd yet Australia sometimes has to wait an extra like 3 months.
Australia gets everything late. Our internet also sucks.
RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by Th3rmal on 02-03-2009 at 01:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Phillip
quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
quote:
Why does it matter? ;>
Australia gets everything late. Our internet also sucks.
true that. And with this censorship bullshit that they want to put in, its gonna get even worse.
RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by prashker on 02-03-2009 at 01:55 PM

But hey, your phone plans don't fail like Canada :(

RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by Vilkku on 02-03-2009 at 02:38 PM

Here is my theory... Basically all movies get dubbed in Russia, so they get the movies early so that they will have time to dub them, so that the release won't be too much later than the international release. Then they just release the movie when it's done instead of waiting, so in some cases it might be earlier than in other countries.

I don't see why anyone would care that much tho :P And Australia sucks with releases anyway. <3

RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by WDZ on 02-03-2009 at 07:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R5_(bootleg)
In an effort to compete with movie piracy in these areas, the movie industry chose to create a new format for DVD releases that could be produced more quickly and less expensively than traditional DVD releases.

RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by Eddie on 02-06-2009 at 03:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R5_(bootleg)
In an effort to compete with movie piracy in these areas, the movie industry chose to create a new format for DVD releases that could be produced more quickly and less expensively than traditional DVD releases.

May have helped locally but its in my opinion risen the piracy globally, as R5's are the primary source for people wanting to download movies really early :P and in a watchable quality better than a CAM or Telesync.
RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by Voldemort on 02-06-2009 at 04:09 AM

everyone knows that hollywood is in russia, duh.

RE: Why does Russia get movies first? by limeares on 02-13-2009 at 04:36 PM

Everybody in Russia knows uTorrent and Nero DVD Burner. :P