Shoutbox

iTunes - Moving from 1 PC to Another. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: iTunes - Moving from 1 PC to Another. (/showthread.php?tid=88975)

iTunes - Moving from 1 PC to Another. by Quantum on 02-05-2009 at 07:56 PM

I'm aware there is alot of guides on stuff like this but i can't find one that explains it all or clear enough.

I have itunes 8 on my windows vista computer. I'm reformatting soon (hours) and every things ready except itunes.

In itunes i have:

• Bought Songs
  • Applications for iphone
  • Back-Ups for my iphone
  • Bought Movies
  • sync'd stuff from my iphone

What do i need to do to get EVERYTHING on my new computer? I tryed to mess with that audible account thing but it didn't except my itunes user + pass. Since i tryed that i noticed i couldn't install apps anymore.

How can i do this. So i don't loose NO DATA or iPhone back-ups and things.

-Thanks In Advanced. :)
RE: iTunes - Moving from 1 PC to Another. by djdannyp on 02-05-2009 at 10:19 PM

Copy the entire 'iTunes' folder from

C:\Users\Username\Music

and that'll be everything, as long as you don't have a custom folder designated for music, etc to go into within iTunes.

Then once you've re-installed iTunes just copy the whole folder back to the same location, open up iTunes and it should all be there.

I've done this several times so can vouch for it

RE: iTunes - Moving from 1 PC to Another. by Quantum on 02-05-2009 at 11:17 PM

Do i need to de-authorized my account and then authorize it after reformat?

RE: iTunes - Moving from 1 PC to Another. by vaccination on 02-06-2009 at 08:27 AM

IIRC, you get a certain amount of authorizations, so technically (as long as you haven't used them all up) you won't need to, but you might as well, so as not to loose one =p

RE: iTunes - Moving from 1 PC to Another. by djdannyp on 02-06-2009 at 08:38 AM

Yeah, like vacc says, you may as well deauthorise your current one then re-authorise after reformatting.

But even if you did use up all five authorisations you can go into your itunes account and cancel all of them and start from scratch again

Again this is something i've done :P

RE: iTunes - Moving from 1 PC to Another. by Quantum on 02-06-2009 at 04:08 PM

Thanks Alot Guys :)

RE: iTunes - Moving from 1 PC to Another. by Sim Kai Long on 02-08-2009 at 09:58 AM

Quantum, in case you don't know. It actually doesn't matter if you de-auth or not. If you had 5 of 5 auths already. If you try to authenticate your freshly formatted PC, it'd just start from 1 of 5 again.

RE: iTunes - Moving from 1 PC to Another. by ShawnZ on 02-08-2009 at 10:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sim Kai Long
Quantum, in case you don't know. It actually doesn't matter if you de-auth or not. If you had 5 of 5 auths already. If you try to authenticate your freshly formatted PC, it'd just start from 1 of 5 again.

um, if auths were stored on the computer, what would be the point of them?