Shoutbox

Major problems with uninstall / reinstall Windows Live Messenger. Please help! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Major problems with uninstall / reinstall Windows Live Messenger. Please help! (/showthread.php?tid=88976)

Major problems with uninstall / reinstall Windows Live Messenger. Please help! by Faithie on 02-05-2009 at 07:56 PM

Okay, so, I had upgraded to the newest version of windows live last night, but did not like it, so I tried to uninstall it this morning (with hopes of downgrading to the version I had before after it was uninstalled.)

However, it wouldn't let me uninstall it (through the add/remove programs section of windows xp), and I ended up uninstalling it with Revo Uninstaller. The problem with this is that, whenever I try to install any version of windows live messenger (even the newest version) it still recognizes my computer as having the newest version, even though it doesn't. Of course, it won't install any version if it recognizes an older version so now I'm stuck without it.

Is there someway to either make msn not check for a new version before it installs, or delete whatever it is that is causing it to recognize as still installed? It not longer appears on my programs list in add/remove programs.

Is there any way I can fix this? I'm about ready to cry. :( Thanks in advance.

RE: Major problems with uninstall / reinstall Windows Live Messenger. Please help! by Mike on 02-05-2009 at 08:02 PM

Have you tried ZapMessenger? :)

RE: Major problems with uninstall / reinstall Windows Live Messenger. Please help! by Th3rmal on 02-05-2009 at 08:04 PM

Try removing WLM with ZapMessenger. If that doesnt work, try re-installing 9.0 then uninstalling using ZapMessenger. :)

EDIT: ;<

RE: Major problems with uninstall / reinstall Windows Live Messenger. Please help! by Faithie on 02-05-2009 at 08:06 PM

My heros!!! Thank you soooo much! *big hugs*

RE: Major problems with uninstall / reinstall Windows Live Messenger. Please help! by Faithie on 02-05-2009 at 08:14 PM

Hm, okay, so when I got MSN 8.0 installed, it tells me I have to upgrade. It won't let me though, a pop up comes up with:

"There was a problem with the installation. Windows Live Suite was not installed.

system error details
Code: 0x8000ffff
Description: Catastrophic failure"

Catastrophic failure...? That can't be good. o.o

--

edit: nevermind; I ended up getting the newest version installed. it won't sign me in though... error code 80040154 :/

RE: Major problems with uninstall / reinstall Windows Live Messenger. Please help! by Th3rmal on 02-05-2009 at 08:34 PM

Error: 80040111 or 80040154

Hope that helps