Shoutbox

Xbox and PC to Speakers - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Xbox and PC to Speakers (/showthread.php?tid=89033)

Xbox and PC to Speakers by Eddie on 02-08-2009 at 11:56 AM

Hello guys, i have a 5.1 speaker system and i would like to be able to connect both my PC and Xbox 360 to the speakers, is this possible? *-) I've tried numerous searches but didnt get the answer i was after?

RE: Xbox and PC to Speakers by Jarrod on 02-08-2009 at 12:52 PM

i think your best bet wold be to find a hifi amplifier with the right jacks on the back

RE: Xbox and PC to Speakers by zach on 02-08-2009 at 01:03 PM

You can only get 5.1 with an optical cable. So get an optical cable and plug it into your 360's a/v cable and then into the 5.1 and use the other 5.1 cables to go into your PC's sound card that supports 5.1.

or

You can use all 5.1 speakers on your 360 but it will only be stereo sound by converting the 360's stereo L/R to 3.5mm female and then plugging it into your 5.1's 3.5mm jack (usually green).

Another way to get only stereo sound via your pc is to plug in your converted stereo=>3.5mm into the PC's 'line in' which will route the sound back out through your PCs audio system.

RE: Xbox and PC to Speakers by Eddie on 02-08-2009 at 01:18 PM

I dont fully understand the first one, is that the only capable way of getting 5.1 with both the PC and Xbox. If yes can you please provide me with a website or a better explaination, when it comes to cabling im not that great.

RE: Xbox and PC to Speakers by zach on 02-08-2009 at 01:28 PM

The only way to get Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound on the xbox 360 is using an optical cable. Do a search yourself to see if that's possible with your equipment.

RE: Xbox and PC to Speakers by toddy on 02-08-2009 at 01:29 PM

what don't u understand, both posts are very simple & straight answers

RE: Xbox and PC to Speakers by Eddie on 02-08-2009 at 01:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
what don't u understand, both posts are very simple & straight answers
Sorry, didnt notice the first reply on the thread. And if im looking at the right cable here, my Optical Cable plug is being used for my television aerial *-) But thanks anyway.

P.S. Its a Logitech 5.1 Computer System.
RE: Xbox and PC to Speakers by toddy on 02-08-2009 at 01:41 PM

to lazy tolook myself but i'm sure http://www.xbox-scene.com will have more details on 5.1

RE: Xbox and PC to Speakers by absorbation on 02-08-2009 at 01:50 PM

You will need an optical cable and splitter, but PCs don't generally transmit sound in 5.1 (some sound cards will) and music will only be through 2.1. I suggest getting a jack to jack for your PC, as there is no benefit of 5.1 surround sound.

On your 360, Microsoft, being the terrible hardware designers they are, have put the optical out port on the very expensive HDMI/ Component cables themselves. I had to rip off the plastic on my component cable to get surround sound with HDMI (I'm not buying a £35 cable, it would finally make my Xbox 360 more expensive than my PS3's standard setup!)

RE: Xbox and PC to Speakers by Menthix on 02-08-2009 at 02:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Microsoft, being the terrible hardware designers they are, have put the optical out port on the very expensive HDMI/ Component cables themselves.
I just connected the HDMI cable to my TV and use the digital out connector on my TV to link to my speakers. That way there's only 1 cable from the TV to the speakers which carries sound from the TV, Xbox, Wii and everything else that happens to be connected to the TV.

This is an black elite version though, might be different.
RE: Xbox and PC to Speakers by absorbation on 02-08-2009 at 03:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
Originally posted by absorbation
Microsoft, being the terrible hardware designers they are, have put the optical out port on the very expensive HDMI/ Component cables themselves.
I just connected the HDMI cable to my TV and use the digital out connector on my TV to link to my speakers. That way there's only 1 cable from the TV to the speakers which carries sound from the TV, Xbox, Wii and everything else that happens to be connected to the TV.

Sounds like you have a good TV, that imports and exports 5.1 surround sound. Most TVs don't, simply because it's rather expensive to achieve. If I do that it only comes out as 2.1. I wish Microsoft just added the optical out port to the 360 itself, rather than doing it through their cables.
RE: Xbox and PC to Speakers by Voldemort on 02-08-2009 at 05:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
i don;t think it is