Shoutbox

Prompt to update newer script version - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Prompt to update newer script version (/showthread.php?tid=89151)

Prompt to update newer script version by djdannyp on 02-13-2009 at 02:36 PM

I've just had an automatic update prompt come up and it's asking me to update a newer version of a script.

I have a private version of my script installed (with a higher version and update number than the one in the scripts database) and yet it's prompting me to install the older version that's available in the database

RE: Prompt to update newer script version by matty on 02-13-2009 at 02:43 PM

I also noticed and spoke to Patchou about this but also Plus! searches for updates regardless of the script being enabled or disabled. If it is disabled and you update it, it becomes active again.

Edit wow post number 5999

RE: Prompt to update newer script version by Menthix on 02-13-2009 at 02:59 PM

Only when you don't use the <UpdateId> and <BuildNumber> tags Plus! will look at the version number. When Plus! does look at the version number you will receive a update notification each time the installed version differs from the DB version, regardless which version number is higher. Because some coders use non-standard version numbering there is no accurate method to determine which version is newer.

When you use a <BuildNumber> Plus! will check if the <BuildNumber> in the DB is actually higher than your installed <BuildNumber>. Because <BuildNumber> must be an integer it can be compared accurately. Which is why using a <BuildNumber> tag is highly recommended for scripts and skins in the DB. See Auto-Update for Skins & Scripts FAQ for more information.

RE: Prompt to update newer script version by djdannyp on 02-13-2009 at 05:32 PM

Yeah, that's the problem though.  I'm using UpdateId and BuildNumber tags

All I did was increment the build number by one...EXACTLY the same format.....and it's prompting me to update

Database

XML code:

<Version>1.21</Version>
        <UpdateId>FBPSM</UpdateId>
        <BuildNumber>121</BuildNumber>

My Computer

XML code:
        <Version>1.22</Version>
        <BuildNumber>122</BuildNumber>

RE: Prompt to update newer script version by Patchou on 02-13-2009 at 06:19 PM

quote:
If it is disabled and you update it, it becomes active again.
Not supposed to happen, I haven't found that bug yet either :p.
RE: Prompt to update newer script version by Menthix on 02-13-2009 at 08:05 PM

XML code:
<ScriptInfo xmlns="urn:msgplus:scripts" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="urn:msgplus:scripts PlusScripts.xsd">
    <Information>
        <Name>Facebook Status</Name>
        <Description>Sets your Personal Message to your Facebook status</Description>
        <Version>1.21</Version>
        <BuildNumber>121</BuildNumber>
    </Information>
</ScriptInfo>

Plus! seems to be sending the <Version> when auto-updating, while <BuildNumber> should be send. Just tried: If I lower the <BuildNumber> there is no updatenotification, but if I change <Version> to anything there is. Your XML looks correct to me.

Patchou?
RE: Prompt to update newer script version by roflmao456 on 02-13-2009 at 08:41 PM

Confirmed. My MiniContacts 2.1 script is telling me to get 2.0 when I incremented the BuildNumber by 1 :P

RE: Prompt to update newer script version by robert_dll on 02-14-2009 at 01:35 AM

That happened to me also (with 2.0.x builds of my skin), but not now that I'm using version 3.0.1 (Build 301), while db has build 300. I used the /checkupdates command and there is no update available.

RE: Prompt to update newer script version by Patchou on 02-14-2009 at 04:20 PM

As mentionned in the xsd documentation (and you all know you're always supposed to validate your scriptinfo file with the schema after any change... :p), the "UpdateId" element needs to be between 6 and 8 characters long. Otherwise, it is ignored, so the build number is not used either and Plus! reverts to its backwared-compatible "Check if Version is different" system.

RE: Prompt to update newer script version by Menthix on 02-14-2009 at 05:02 PM

Ah yes, that explains it. I thought I was checking on that in the DB, apparently not, just if there are duplicates :(. Added a check on the string length now.

RE: Prompt to update newer script version by robert_dll on 02-14-2009 at 05:26 PM

That explains why I'm not prompted to update now :P I use a larger updateid now.

RE: Prompt to update newer script version by djdannyp on 02-15-2009 at 12:34 AM

Ah, right then.

I'll change the updateID for the next release of the script then