Shoutbox

IPGet Question - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Thread: IPGet Question (/showthread.php?tid=89179)

IPGet Question by TRZ on 02-14-2009 at 11:18 PM

Is there a way to prevent people from getting my IP using IPGet? I know how when my IPGet is enabled, I'll get someone else's IP randomly through a pop-up, and always wondered if this was the same for those who have the service and if there's a way to prevent this.

Thanks

RE: IPGet Question by Quantum on 02-15-2009 at 12:43 AM

Don't accept file tranfers or game requests. You can also configure IE to run behind a proxy.

Anyone directly connected to your PC can run a netstat -b and get your ip.

Good Luck.

RE: IPGet Question by Menthix on 02-15-2009 at 12:49 AM

Every webpage you ever visited in your life (including this one) knows your IP. Whether they store it another question. But the point is IP addresses are supposed to be public. They aren't interesting to humans at all, but machines need them to connect directly.

RE: RE: IPGet Question by TRZ on 02-15-2009 at 02:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Quantum
Don't accept file tranfers or game requests.
Sometimes I get people's IP's without me even opening up their convo let alone any file transferring. That's what I meant on how to prevent or why that even happens.

quote:
You can also configure IE to run behind a proxy.
Are you sure the same proxy settings I have set in IE will be the same for MSN? For example if I was using a Chinese Proxy Server, anyone with IPGet would see that IP come up? Also, what if my default browser is Mozilla Firefox? Would I need the settings for the proxy set there instead of IE? or still only IE.

Thank you.

RE: RE: RE: IPGet Question by davidpolitis on 02-15-2009 at 07:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TRZ
Would I need the settings for the proxy set there instead of IE?
No.
RE: IPGet Question by vaccination on 02-15-2009 at 10:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TRZ
quote:
Don't accept file tranfers or game requests.
Sometimes I get people's IP's without me even opening up their convo let alone any file transferring. That's what I meant on how to prevent or why that even happens.

It's because other messenger clients will be requesting data from you on occasion, such as downloading your avatar into the contact list, or if they've opened a conversation window with you. It's truly nothing to worry about, and very normal.
RE: IPGet Question by Menthix on 02-15-2009 at 10:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TRZ
For example if I was using a Chinese Proxy Server
You're only slowing yourself down, all traffic needs to go trough the proxy server first. I don't know where you live, but China is known to have fairly slow internet connections to abroad. Besides, using some unknown proxy server to hide your IP doesn't increase your privacy. While you may have hidden your IP address you're sending all your traffic through some unknown server. Whoever hosts the proxy server (or another machine along the line) can capture all your data, including your usernames and passwords.

Why do you want to hide your IP address? The stories about people who can hack you just be knowing your IP address are completely bogus.

My own IP is 84.245.32.60, there i said it :p.
RE: IPGet Question by Th3rmal on 02-15-2009 at 11:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
My own IP is 84.245.32.60, there i said it :p.
You shouldnt have done that, im going to hack you now, and i can do it...even without your IP. I have telekinesis with machines...yes, i am the Terminator.

Seriously though, like everyone has mentioned, these methods would only slow down your connection, your IP is nothing to be ashamed of, share it with the world :P
RE: IPGet Question by TRZ on 02-15-2009 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
You're only slowing yourself down, all traffic needs to go trough the proxy server first. I don't know where you live, but China is known to have fairly slow internet connections to abroad.
It was only an example. I'd use a domestic proxy.

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Besides, using some unknown proxy server to hide your IP doesn't increase your privacy. Why do you want to hide your IP address?
I'm not trying to hide it from the public. I just have this "secret" MSN account that I don't want a few people to know who it is.

quote:
djdannyp]Gotta love internet paranoia
Not the case at all ;)
RE: IPGet Question by Spunky on 02-16-2009 at 10:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TRZ
I just have this "secret" MSN account that I don't want a few people to know who it is.

So don't tell them about it. In fact, if you add them all to your block list, even if they do add you, it'll look like you have NEVER signed in to them, but your contacts will see you fine
RE: RE: IPGet Question by Vilkku on 02-16-2009 at 11:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
quote:
Originally posted by TRZ
I just have this "secret" MSN account that I don't want a few people to know who it is.
So don't tell them about it. In fact, if you add them all to your block list, even if they do add you, it'll look like you have NEVER signed in to them, but your contacts will see you fine
I think he wants to talk with them etc, he just doesn't want the ppl he is talking to to know who he really is.
RE: IPGet Question by foaly on 02-16-2009 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
Why do you want to hide your IP address? The stories about people who can hack you just be knowing your IP address are completely bogus.

My own IP is 84.245.32.60, there i said it

=================================================
Ip-adres: 84.245.32.60
Internet provider: cambrium
Hostnaam: 84-245-32-60.dsl.cambrium.nl
Nummer helpdesk:
staat het goede telefoonnummer er niet bij? Klik hier
Mail servers: (inkomende / uitgaande)
staat de goede mailserver er niet bij? Klik hier
Providergegevens:
Administrative role account
Cambrium B.V.
Randstad 22 - 133
1316 BW Almere
phone: +31 36 546 0080
fax-no: +31 36 546 0087
e-mail: ripe-admin@cambrium.nl
=================================================

Never heard of cambrium before...
But I could call and say that you are spamming my forum :)
maybe they'll give your home address :P
RE: IPGet Question by Menthix on 02-16-2009 at 06:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
I could call and say that you are spamming my forum :) maybe they'll give your home address
That would be interesting, go ahead, I'd love to sue them for that :).

quote:
Originally posted by foaly
Never heard of cambrium before
They resell to smaller brands, TweakDSL in my case.