Shoutbox

What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams? (/showthread.php?tid=89180)

What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams? by Quantum on 02-15-2009 at 12:39 AM

What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams?

You get the chance to mirror what you see in your webcam but the other contact does not see this. I've always wonderd what is the point in this?

If anyone knows please tell me (a) i've been thinking on it for hours haha :)

Cheerz :)

RE: What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams? by djdannyp on 02-15-2009 at 12:41 AM

Probably because most people are used to seeing themselves mirrored and it makes movement easier...otherwise you end up having to reverse your movements and it all gets quite confusing

RE: What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams? by Menthix on 02-15-2009 at 12:44 AM

Somebody who's into video broadcasting told me once: Video is mirrored locally because people are used to looking at them selves in a mirror. It feels more natural.

RE: What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams? by Quantum on 02-15-2009 at 12:44 AM

Ahh, i see :)

Cheerz (Y)

RE: What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams? by Arcadian Dreaming on 02-17-2009 at 09:52 PM

It's the one thing that really annoys me about this new WLM. Why in the name of all that's holy did they not just leave it as an option, instead of forcing it on you? Have they become communists?

RE: What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams? by djdannyp on 02-17-2009 at 10:19 PM

Tools>Audio and Video Setup

Then click Next

Then click 'Webcam Settings'

Then the 'Advanced' tab

You have options on there for horizontal and vertical mirroring :)

RE: What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams? by Menthix on 02-17-2009 at 10:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp

Then the 'Advanced' tab

You have options on there for horizontal and vertical mirroring
AFAIK those options depend on your webcam driver, some webcams don't have them at all.
RE: RE: What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams? by Chunk1993 on 02-18-2009 at 01:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Tools>Audio and Video Setup

Then click Next

Then the 'Advanced' tab

You have options on there for horizontal and vertical mirroring :)

would this not mirror it for the other person too?
then the other person would be seeing what you were seeing originally.

EDIT: Does that make any sense?
RE: What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams? by alexamazing on 03-28-2009 at 10:07 PM

i want to mirror my image, but the advanced tab is not on my webcam settings, anyone help me?

RE: RE: What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams? by djdannyp on 03-28-2009 at 10:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by alexamazing
i want to mirror my image, but the advanced tab is not on my webcam settings, anyone help me?

If you don't have the advanced tab then your webcam isn't capable of doing that.

Your image will still be showing correctly for contacts, it's only you who will see the mirror image, as this is how we are most accustomed to seeing ourselves and thus can make appropriate motions for adjusting or showing people things or whatever
RE: What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams? by alexamazing on 03-28-2009 at 11:03 PM

it is the most annoying thing ever!
i look horrible reflected.. id rather see myself as other people do so that i can make sure i dont look a mess!
as this webcam fault did my head in i downgraded!

MSN should fix this problem, i have visited many forums and it is obvious that many people want to mirror their image, so the new msn is obviously hated by people! (including me!)
they should give the option of mirroring the image, because the new msn is decent apart from that major annoyance

RE: RE: What's the point in the mirroring option for webcams? by davidpolitis on 03-29-2009 at 01:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by alexamazing
it is the most annoying thing ever!
i look horrible reflected.. id rather see myself as other people do so that i can make sure i dont look a mess!
as this webcam fault did my head in i downgraded!

MSN should fix this problem, i have visited many forums and it is obvious that many people want to mirror their image, so the new msn is obviously hated by people! (including me!)
they should give the option of mirroring the image, because the new msn is decent apart from that major annoyance
I'm not really sure what you mean as you're contradicting yourself. If you wish to enable or disable mirroring, then here:
code:
Tools > Audio & video setup... > Next > Select your webcam from the list > Webcam Settings... > Uncheck/Check Image Mirror