Shoutbox

[Release] LTD - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Skinning (/forumdisplay.php?fid=41)
+----- Thread: [Release] LTD (/showthread.php?tid=89293)

[Release] LTD by Willz on 02-20-2009 at 02:55 PM

Well boys and girls its time for another release. Yes I have been busy all week to bring you guys a new skin design. It has been a while since I have made an original design for Messenger so I figured it was about time.

So the skin is called LTD. Why LTD? Well I was trying to come up with something that would describe what I wanted to do with the skin. LTD stands for "Love This Design", which is kind of what I want to happen. The skin was designed specifically for Messenger 9 so scenes work better than ever. For those wondering, yes dark colors work on this skin unlike Ev0.

So what does this skin have to offer? Well along with the usual settings, LTD has been designed compress down the look of 9 and offer something that is a bit more cleaner and functional. The display pictures have been simplified further and do not take as much space so you can fit more contacts in your list area.

Additionally the chat window has been transformed into a new layout where your text goes from one end of the window to the other. This gives you a lot more room to read and means you can have a shorter window but not sacrifice the reading area. You also have the option to switch back to the default style of chat window if you really want to, the options are all there.

Being the second skin in the designer series, I take great pride in this skin and it has been created with a lot of thought. Check it out even if you don't like white skins, you'll be surprised how quick it grows on you. I would have a darker version, but I found that a lot of the design didn't really work.

One of the other things you will notice is that I haven't bothered to touch Messenger Plus! Live like I did with Phunk'n. The reason is that its simply too tedious to do so and the skin would have been held back at least 2 more weeks if I did so. So I figured I'd rather have the skin released and when MP!L is less tedious to skin then I'll do it.

Anyway enjoy the release people and remember to leave a message either here or on our facebook page.

Peace, Willz.

DOWNLOAD

[Image: LTD_CL.png]
[Image: LTD_CW.png]

Design Evolved Skins on Facebook

RE: [Release] LTD by Th3rmal on 02-20-2009 at 03:01 PM

Very nice!

Sleek and minimalistic, very nice work (Y)

Keep'em coming ;)

EDIT: [cough] wheres that special registry? [/cough]

RE: [Release] LTD by matty on 02-20-2009 at 03:05 PM

Awww matty is famous!

Looking better more minimalistic :). Not a huge fan of the boarders but I am picky.

RE: RE: [Release] LTD by Willz on 02-20-2009 at 03:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matty
Awww matty is famous!

Looking better more minimalistic :). Not a huge fan of the boarders but I am picky.

Borders were a bit touch and go, I wanted to reduce the space they took up but to do that I had to shrink them down. You get used to them, I was iffy at first but they have grown on me :) This is kinda the first clean skin I've done so hopefully it goes well.
RE: [Release] LTD by Th3rmal on 02-20-2009 at 03:10 PM

Is there a way to make the online contacts have like a green circle next to them or something? atm its slightly hard to define between online and offline, especially at 2am :P

RE: RE: [Release] LTD by Willz on 02-20-2009 at 03:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Th3rmal
Is there a way to make the online contacts have like a green circle next to them or something? atm its slightly hard to define between online and offline, especially at 2am :P

I thought it was kinda obvious, offline is more faded out. But I suppose if there enough complaint over it ill consider it. For now I'll just let it be.
RE: [Release] LTD by Andylongi on 02-20-2009 at 03:29 PM

It is nice but i personally prefer the other one i hope one of the next skins will become one with a dark background.

RE: [Release] LTD by matty on 02-20-2009 at 04:36 PM

Why does the gradient looked fucked up Willz?

RE: [Release] LTD by insider on 02-20-2009 at 04:37 PM

hello, great effort. great job.

but....

I'd like to see big picture of my contact, and  the not mine.
and if. I not distinguish the state of contacoto.es that we are very blind. xd

very good job.

RE: [Release] LTD by LuckyMe on 02-20-2009 at 05:43 PM

Congrats again Will, as matty said i´m not too sure about the borders specially the ones of the toast, I love how the scrollbars look and the new chat window layout is very smart.

Offtopic: I rly like dark skins and I think you should give Phunk´n a chance on WLM9, can we expect an update for that one?

Take care

RE: [Release] LTD by coolzee on 02-20-2009 at 05:55 PM

Looks good, but i agree with matty with the boarders. :P

RE: [Release] LTD by Nathan on 02-20-2009 at 06:47 PM

Reminds me of the old msn, the bright orange one. I dont really like it though sorry :(

RE: [Release] LTD by lordtinuviel on 02-20-2009 at 10:45 PM

I really like it even more than Evo but if u use Vista/Win7 wont match the visual style....unless you are using this VS

http://sweatyfish.deviantart.com/art/Lumen-VS-111643461

RE: [Release] LTD by blessedguy on 02-21-2009 at 12:14 AM

Congrats! =)
Although I didn't like it (it looks too minimalistic...), it's nicely done.
But, hey! Great thing you've done with the chat window. Finally that scene space is being well-used.

(later on I'll try it on my Vista-PC... broken again :´( )

RE: [Release] LTD by Willz on 02-21-2009 at 12:31 AM

Well I knew that not everyone would like it from the beginning, but it's something that I really wanted to do. Hmm I wonder if anyone noticed the dropdown menu I put on your Display Picture in the chat window.

Anyway I'm still really happy with this skin, its probably one of the most functional I have made.

Oh yeah and for those wondering about Phunk'n. Well the odds aren't really good at the moment. There are some issues that I have to think about before I can make the skin. The major one being animation tags not working the way they used to and the second being all the hard coded heights that Messenger has. There are some more minor issues, but I think I can get around it.

RE: [Release] LTD by Chunk1993 on 02-21-2009 at 12:32 AM

the skin looks great but when your in a video cool it would be nice to resize the message box smaller so it doesnt take up half the chat window.

RE: RE: [Release] LTD by Willz on 02-21-2009 at 12:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chunk1993
the skin looks great but when your in a video cool it would be nice to resize the message box smaller so it doesnt take up half the chat window.

unfortunately that's the price you pay to have the chat window that way. Because the way Messenger layouts work there is no way of allowing that unless you switch back to the original layout. I figured you aren't in a video chat that often so its something you can live with.
RE: [Release] LTD by Ryddyck on 02-21-2009 at 01:04 PM

I like it ^^ so, I think is better in black, but nice work!

RE: [Release] LTD by RaPLeX on 02-21-2009 at 11:14 PM

another great job willz congrats

RE: [Release] LTD by James Potter on 02-22-2009 at 05:06 AM

Good job you have put on another fine skin of designEvolved productions! =]
Keep it up, Wilz. ;) (Y)

RE: [Release] LTD by Eddie on 02-22-2009 at 09:20 AM

Looks nice, I would love to see a Phunkn update though! :) This looks a lot like the original Windows Live Messenger 8.0 beta UI, its interesting :P

RE: [Release] LTD by Willz on 02-23-2009 at 12:04 AM

I just sent v1.0.1 to Menthix, this version fixes an issue with the modern chat window layout and hiding dp's. It also fixes the bug with hiding the contact search bar buttons and classic emoticon button icons not appearing.

Should hopefully be up later today or tomorrow, depending on when Menthix gets the time to do it.

RE: [Release] LTD by Eddie on 02-23-2009 at 06:42 AM

Just curious, is it possible for you to skin the tab frame, because when you use tabs on the left it doesnt fit in with the skin and the border doesnt look to nice.

RE: RE: [Release] LTD by Willz on 02-23-2009 at 07:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Eddie
Just curious, is it possible for you to skin the tab frame, because when you use tabs on the left it doesnt fit in with the skin and the border doesnt look to nice.

It partially is, but you can't really do anything. All you can do is set one image to stretch, or to tile repeatedly. The border that the tabs have will still be laid on top like normal and you can't skin the buttons themselves.

I tried adding a background image in but because it doesn't have stretch margins like Messenger does it just looks wrong no matter what. With chat tabs there is no win-win situation. I've been complaining about this for ages to Patch, hopefully one day we will have full control over them. Until then there isn't much I can do.

Pretty much anything that looks out of place aesthetically is because of a technical limitation by Plus! or Messenger :P
RE: [Release] LTD by John Anderton on 02-23-2009 at 03:34 PM

Looks nice but I'll give it a pass.. I'm (quite sadly) extremely picky and this design (for some reason) doesn't float my boat :(

May be its the white.. too much white strains my eyes :(
Minimalistic-ness, is not a problem for me.. its just the colours. I prefer soothing colours and designs.
Willz, the scroll bar looks too plain to me. Could you give it some depth may be? Emboss the image or something. Might look better. The grey icons looks a bit weird to me. The Plus! and Scripting icons look out of aspect ratio (in the first screenshot).

Overall, the design looks good. As I said, sadly it doesn't float my boat :(

Thanks Willz. Great Skin :) by fba3 on 03-01-2009 at 09:55 PM

Nice and simple (A)

this wouldnt be much better ?

RE: Thanks Willz. Great Skin :) by Willz on 03-02-2009 at 08:36 AM

quote:
Originally posted by fba3
Nice and simple (A)

this wouldnt be much better ?

That isn't technically possible moving the dp to the middle. You would crash Messenger with that. It just doesn't work on so many levels that its not funny.

I think the design is fine the way it is so I have no intention of changing it. The only possible change I see happening is maybe a dark version. But asides from that I'm not really taking any design suggestions.

RE: [Release] LTD by Basilis on 03-02-2009 at 04:50 PM

I was wondering if you could put the toolbar buttons in the contact list window at the top of the window to the left, like the MinMaxClose buttons are to the right. It would be very nice in my opinion.

RE: [Release] LTD by DJ_Duker on 03-03-2009 at 10:32 PM

Guys, why does the chat window open like this every first time i open a window?

[Image: 29cy7s.jpg]

The window is top up, and i have to drag it down to see the chat...